Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked730i won’t run

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 730i won’t run
    Posted: 28-March-2006 at 13:53

My new K reg 730i starts up, but runs on 3 or 4 cylinders, and won't rev up past 1500rpm. It is showing the symptoms of an engine drawing in air through the fuel line, or even low fuel pressure.

I bought the car from a guy who had just ripped out the LPG system, so the problem could be related to this.

Being a newbie to BMW, and far more used to dealing with diesel Land Rovers than petrol cars, i am a little puzzled. When I turn on the ignition, I can't hear a fuel pump operating (should I?) The car has suffered a slight bump to the front end. Could this have tripped a safety switch? I gave the car £5 of petrol yesterday from a jerry car. It did not register on the gauge. Could this be connected to the problem?

The most likely cause I suspect is the LPG removal. Where could this have caused problems? Any loose wiring I should spot? Any pipes in need of diverting/capping off?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

karenarobert@yahoo.co.uk

Sponsored Links

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 22:36

That is unfortunately to general what you are describing what has been removed and which brand the LPG system was.

The fuel pump stops when ignition is turned on position 2 after it has reached the required pressure.

Safety switch: there is a crash alarm system in the car. The senor is close to the battery on the other side of the rear seat. But if this system comes into working: usually the lights switch on insi8de the cabin, the doorlocks open and the fuel pump switches off for safety reasons.

Do you have a EML system or normal bowden cables on the throttling valve? EML= fly by wire = no bowden cable but a motor is driving the throttling valve.

Add some more petrol, depending on how the car is parked, sometimes the fuel pump does not get petrol when almost empty.

Specialized on your model are these boards

http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 11:00
Do a search on 'nikasil' (top of this page)
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by Bavaria Made Wo Bavaria Made Wo wrote:

I gave the car £5 of petrol yesterday from a jerry car. It did not register on the gauge.

Nothing strange in that! I put 20 quid in mine - it makes a sharp exit, barely taking time to register.

It does sound like an air leak problem, quite often with LPG systems they tap the inlet manifold to accept injectors (or is this only on carb cars?), if this may have been done to yours check the inlet manifold for holes that aren't covered properly. Bit of a stab in the dark that. Also, there must have been some sort of regulator in the fuel line to change from petrol to gas, see if that is still there and if it is restricting fuel flow. Could be lots of things.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic