Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIMPORTANT! DVLA up to no good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMPORTANT! DVLA up to no good
    Posted: 06-April-2006 at 04:42

Check this out - this looks like it will affect most of us, especially all the track day boys...    

Edited by sleeper
Sponsored Links

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:31
I don't modify my car at all, but seriously object to this abuse of our freedom. What is wrong with someone who fits an aftermarket steering wheel to their car? How much control does this system want?! I wonder is this a government directive which has been passed down the chain of command? I'll get my opposition off to the DVLA blitzkriegfuerhers as soon as I can.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:33
Doive relies on transit vans to modify his cars for him, wonder if car shortening will be covered.bigok
528 for now
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:37
It's a cheap way of getting a whole new look! Just think, the fire brigade could have made me a convertible. 
www.doive.co.uk
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:38

The DVLA are a useless bunch of idiots and every single employee deserves to be taken out into the street and kicked to death.

Every single one of my experiences with them has been bad.

This si just typical of the kind of cr*p they come up with.

I wonder how much this 'super' MOT test will cost?

Possibley a new way of generating revenue. Taxing modifed cars .

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:48
Has anyone ever used their 'new' interactive phone line? It really is the most infuriating creation yet by mortal man. It says helpfully on the website 'you can use our phone line to renew x, y and z' but yet when you get on there it takes you around in a sequence of ever maddening recorded messages, when all you want to do is speak to someone.

It's just a big heap of government created buerocracy, and legislation like this is just yet another way of squeezing even more blood out of the motorists of this country. If they proposed this in America there would be a spectacular revolt.
www.doive.co.uk
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:29

doive, can you post up how and where on thire website you can vent your spleen to them?

I reckon between us, and PH'ers, and the rice rocket brigade we can crash out the site with complaints.

Really angry!!!!!    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 10:00

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

Has anyone ever used their 'new' interactive phone line? It really is the most infuriating creation yet by mortal man. It says helpfully on the website 'you can use our phone line to renew x, y and z' but yet when you get on there it takes you around in a sequence of ever maddening recorded messages, when all you want to do is speak to someone.

I've had the misfortune to have to use it on more than one occasion and I agree. You go through about 50 different options only to end up with a repeating recorded message. To actually get through to a person I had to go through the disabled driver option. It really does take the pi$$.

Like I said, kicked to death, the lot of them.

nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 10:19
I maybe wrong, but wasn't this article first published on 1st April

bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 11:09
big brother gone mad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 11:58

Originally posted by nero nero wrote:

I maybe wrong, but wasn't this article first published on 1st April

I don't think it's an April fool although I could be wrong.

I'd heard rumblings about this before.

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 12:25
Nah, this has been in the planning for ages I think. I did indeed hear whispers of this one before, there was discussion on another website a few weeks ago, and was it not printed in Retro Cars or PPC or something like that? I'm fairly sure they released it a while ago, of course it's out for public consultation but they don't exactly announce stuff like this, if everyone actually heard it and realised the implications the place would get shouted down. And so it should, stupidity every last bit of it.
www.doive.co.uk
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 12:28
May I suggest we all write to Clive Bennett, who is the Chief Exec of DVLA. No point getting in touch with a faceless customer services system as the protests will just get 'misplaced'. Best to start at the top and stay there. He's trained as an engineer, so I'd like to think he has some modicum of common sense about him.
www.doive.co.uk
bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 12:32

if only Doive if only ,what are they going to hit us with next?

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 03:56
I had already started planning my departure from the UK. I'm glad to see confirmation that I need to get out of here. This government will not rest until it has interfered with every single aspect of our lives and nannied us to death.

They are a bunch of ******* *****.

Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 04:57

The DVLA are awful, I have to deal with them often !

This "plan" isn't as stupid as it first seems, although it will of course catch some of you.

When people modify cars that a company has spent millions of pounds developing, how do we know its safe ?

Suspension changes, ride height, wheels etc etc, who has done the calculations on stresses etc ?

How many people actually tell their insurance companies ?

One of my neighbours kids was killed last year, and the mods he had done played a part ( although not all the problem), in the accident that led to his and his friends death.

Think about "why" this is being considered, then come up with alternatives.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 05:14

How many deaths on the road are a result of modifications?

Not that many I bet.

It sounds more like some idiot has decided without any eveidence that if people modify ther cars it must be dangerous so we need to stop it.

I will be that it is based on very little evidence that modifactions make cars more dangerous.

Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 05:46
At this rate you'll need to write to the DVLA asking "is it ok if I put petrol in my car/change the tyres/ service it?"
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 05:57

I can believe the "service it" could become a problem, rather like in Italy.

I'm not supporting this stuff, but it does need to be looked at.

You want your car and other cars to be safe.

As for how many deaths due to modifcations I've no idea, I know it is thought to have contributed to my mates sons death ( wheels).

I think if you modify your car it should at least be checked once, perhaps not every year, but how could you object to once ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 06:22

well u cant use a mobile phone but u can fit dvd players use sat nav

rules dont make any sense time too move back to canada

what has become of this once great place we call the united kingdom? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic