FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHead Cracked on Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Cracked on Turbo
    Posted: 18-April-2006 at 07:27
As the 121T is unique to the the Turbo, I managed to get it repaired, it was cracked all the way through to the Water well & around the Exhaust Valve seat No.2 cylinder. Also was slightly warped. BJ Ashpole at Bishops Stortford UK (50 years experience) have managed to sort it out. They spent a whole day on it. Phew.

Keep expensively 02ing. ;o)
Rich.
www.bmw2002.co.uk
o==00==o
Sponsored Links

bmw2002 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2006 at 14:22

March discovered a head gasket problem, lots of white smoke pouring out the back of the car, turned out to be a cracked head. Also slightly warped. The crack is from the No.2 Exhaust valve all the way to the water hole in the side & between both Valves. B.J. Ashpole Ltd in Bishop's Stortford Tel +44 (0)1279 653211 (UK) who have 50 years of experience managed to repair it better than new, they spent a whole day on it & have all the gear for this sort of work. Should be refitting late April 06.

I also have a man in the UK that also knows how to convert the 121 Tii heads into a Turbo head – basically they need machining out so that it’s lower compression & the only other difference is the exhaust studs are 10mm & not 8mm. So I’ll now hunt for a good Tii head & get him to convert it this winter.

So I do hope to be mobile in a month & wild horses won’t stop me getting to Bavaria.

BMW did have some last year for £600 but none left now. Andy Andexer charging €1200 is a little bit too step for me. The pitting is from water, now all polished out.
www.bmw2002.co.uk
o==00==o
bmw2002 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 10:43
Now all sorted, car should be put back together next week.
www.bmw2002.co.uk
o==00==o
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic