FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNavi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navi
    Posted: 13-August-2003 at 16:59
Anyone got the Becker Traffic Pro radio/cd/navi unit in their 8? There have been a few posts from guys in the USA over on Roadfly about this model (Harmon/Kardon in the US) and it looks good, but I wanted to know what it's like for Europe. Are the map coverages decent? Detail? You can get a red display...is that close in colour to the dials on the dash? Can it control the standard 6-CD changer from the 8 (rebadged Pioneer?) or will I lose that?

My local dealer here in Germany is offering it (tho badged as a BMW model) for 1500 Euros installed, which seems like a good deal.
Sponsored Links

Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2003 at 14:51
No-one got a Navi system?
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2003 at 21:18

Hi Sniff,

I have been looking at Sat Nav and considering a portable Magellan unit. But I do like the Becker 7825. Its the about the closest looking OEM unit to suit the 8. Some aftermarket units wreck the appearance of the middle console.

I also was wondering about CD unit being compat. and was going to call my local dealer and ask the techies:
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/automotive/bmw.htm
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/becker/becker_oem.htm

Is this model you were looking at:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+manufacturers_id+14+products_id+1262

Although I really want a Road Angel GPS unit as well!

Ian
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2003 at 10:59
From what I have read there are a few different versions. You can get a Becker one from any auto av shop which will be a generic one. However I understand that you can get OEM badged ones that have a bus specific to the wiring of the manufacturer involved. Thus a BMW badged one should (I haven't yet checked with my dealer...bank holiday here today!) be able to control my CD changer in the boot.

There are a few versions it seems. 4720/4725/4733/4751 vary only in colour of the display.

The 7820/7823/7825 seems to have a higher performance processor for quicker route calculations (also possibly more info from CD..Michelin Guide?). Again the differing model numbers denote different colour displays.

The 7851 is the same as the 782x models but can be mounted at 30-60 degrees.

I'm going to check with my dealer next week about suitability for the8, and I'll post what I find out.

I don't think the Road Angel works here. But then we don't have as many speed traps I dont think!

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 10:20
Interesting reading guys.. Wouldn't it be great if these things could have the GPS fixed camera updatable database built in.

Phil
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 10:55
Interesting thought phil, but on my travels, these things only seem to be legal in the uk, true of europe at least, I have the dashboard mounted roadangel, with plug in laser detector.

It seems its the death penalty in europe and even southern ireland for having one of these !!
Best Wishes

Nigel

aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 11:34
Sniff...interesting about the OEM wiring bus option. I'll definitely investigate that here as well.

Phil...yes would be perfect if the Becker unit had the fixed and average mobile camera database too.

Nigel...are you saying Raod Angels are illegal in some areas of Europe? Radar & Lasar detectors here are illegal but GPS units like Road Angel are not. Our cops use a Queensland made device called a Stalcar RDD which detects radar detectors so that market here died overnight once they started using them.

Interesting too see in the UK gatso are being torched by the locals!
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

And I thought aussies has no respect for the law! Makes me proud to be in the commonwealth.

Ian
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 11:35
...this was the link I meant
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 11:58
Great idea about combining the GPS navi with something like a Road Angel database. It would be easy too, as the navi systems already do Point of Interest (stuff like petrol stations, hotels, restaurants etc) and the traffic cams would just be another POI. I would think it's just a question of licensing...maybe someone should write to whoever makes Road Angel and suggest it?!
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 12:01
Ian

I've had it explained to me, both by friendly french and irish plods, that it is illegal to have ANY device that detects the position of "law enforcement" devices, or police cash points as they are known over here.

The irish were typically laid back, and were just letting me know, being a little embarrassed at having stopped my car to check the road fund licence, not having noticed it had british plates !!

The frogs on the other hand were going to confiscate it and fine me, I only escaped because one of them spotted my ham radio gear, and was himself a radio anorack, so in the end we exchanged callsigns, shook hands, and he let me "hide" it in the boot and drive away.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2003 at 20:11
Sniff

Just a thought about having the database in your in car system......how are you going to update it ?

You'd either need a jolly long lead, a detachable memory cassette of some kind, or to be able to update via cd.
Best Wishes

Nigel

aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 00:25
I think Road Angel will probably find itself under competition soon, but they have a few things going for them
- cheap receiver without the expense of full blown sat nav display etc
- best database
- easy to update

But once multi channel GPS receivers are cheaper to make to offset cost of in-dash units & start to put maybe a bluetooth or mini usb socket in you could update them from your laptop or G3 phone. You could just download the update on a USB stick and dump it into the indash unit.

Ian

P.S. Nigel, thats the first I've ever heard of a frog being nice to a pom! I'm a bit worried now that our local pollies will change to law to same as irish one. That will make the rozzers happy.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 01:30
Aussie

I have to admit that the frogs are generaly nice, I spend quite a lot of time over there.

Its work not social, but the people are great.

As always its the press and governments.

The food isnt bad either.......once you can actually get them to cook it lol

I promise you, some of the steaks they serve up a good vet would get going again
Best Wishes

Nigel

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 08:18
Sniff, sorry to steal your thread. I was shocked to find out that Road Angel is not 'legal' in France.

Nigel

I've just finished working in a West African country wholly owned and serviced by the frogs. I usually consider myself a pretty open minded person but they were a nightmare. Their work ethic was crap (in the main); things like tardiness, communication and even social conscience were non-existent. Total closed shop for only french companies and just the sort of attitude that makes me shudder at being called a 'European'. Still couldn't get my head round eating things that leave a trail.

Any Frenchmen who read this please feel free to respond in kind and remind us of all the wonderful things that make us typically British!!!

Edited by PhilC
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 10:00
No worries...all intersting stuff!

Nigel, you could just update the Angel database by getting a new CD-ROM, just like you do now with the navi systems. You don't update the receiver, just buy a more up-to-date mapping CD.

Funny to read what you guys think about French and French food. Here in Bavaria it's just the opposite...all you can get is pork and potatoes! The Bavarian idea of a vegetarian dish is a ham omelette!

Mind you, they also 'force' you to drink beer with every meal too, so it's not all bad!

We also work closely with the French (part of the company is based in Nice) and I have to say that they put the British 'old-school tie' system to shame. If you haven't been to the right school in France, you're nobody.

In my company we currently have 37 different nationalities. As you can imagine that makes for a very interesting few weeks when the footy World Cup is on!
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 11:23
Good point. I guess just whacking in a new CD/DVD would be easier.

Re French...Well at you guys didn't have to put up with them letting off nukes in the Pacific Ocean. Its still not too late to invade you know. If the infantry is short on APCs they could use E31s.

Ian

Moderator: Sorry for getting off topic, but bagging the French is just...well irresistable.

Hey Sniff do you know the Torbreau near Marienplatz...use to stay there during crash testing days.
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 11:29
LOL, I can always be forced to drink beer..

I watched the last World Cup in the jungle and had plenty of froggy baiting material after their first game against Senegal. The Gabonese Africans were celebrating in the villages. A very memorable p***-up.
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 15:47
Ian, I don't know the Torbreau. How long ago was this? Must admit I don't go into central Munich that often...I can never seem to pass the 100+ beer gardens it would take me to get there!!!
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 16:29
We are all going to be in trouble when Duncan gets back from Gaydon lol

There has never been so much posting in the 8 series techical forum, but not much of it is technical lol.

Good to see a "skippy" joining in the frog bashing though !

On the point of updating the road angel, I do it every week, just plug it into the net, the info changes so much as cameras come and go in roadworks, and people update thier own units whilst driving and coming across even more of these dam cameras.

As you need to update so often I think it would have to be net based, anything else would get messy and inconvenient.

Aussie, are your lot getting as carried away as ours?

The (S)camera partnership in Worcester installed a gatso camera on a road with no accident record. (My wife can remember one fatality, on the opposite side of the road when she was 16, the old dear is in her 40's now, and has lived here all her life)

They operated it for 2 days a week for a month, and raised £48,000 (they assure us its not about money though), the speed limit is 30, and according to the local paper not one offence was above 40 !!!
Best Wishes

Nigel

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2003 at 17:15
Nigel

Lancashire police are doing people for 35mph these days my wife included.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic