Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 TLC Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 TLC Project
    Posted: 07-May-2006 at 13:24
Well, after 16 years on the road and 5 years in my ownership, the time has come to give the old girl some serious tender loving care. Daily driving for 4 of those 5 years in all weathers, plus several track days and 150 plus laps of the Nurburgring, have all taken their toll.
First job was the strip of the outer panels and have a better look at the known rusted areas. The scuttle has a nice hole plus a lump of filler behind it, that I guess the previous owner had a hand in.
The area below the washer bottle is rotted and the floor in the corners below where the front speakers are is also rusted. I feel a very large body shop bill coming on......
Next job is to pull the engine and g/box and get the car up on axle stands to pull all the suspension.That should be fun , I'm already about out of space in the garage...

Sponsored Links

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:14
Brian

I hope your project goes well.

Mine is going through exactly the same process. I have a huge hole in the baulk head by the throtle cable whole that needs the engine out for better access so have decided to strip the whole car then get the rot sorted by the folk who will fit the cage, respray, rewire and powder coat all the back and etc. then put it back together. The back end of mine seems solid enough.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon325i sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:36
Nice one Brian, it's all good fun, and at least your doing the job properly, unlike what some PO's have done!
Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:52

Brian,

Have fun. All that bodywork stuff looks and sounds very familiar to me. I don't envy you one little bit. Get a firm quote from your bodyshop before you let them get stuck into it.

When are you planning to have it back together again?

Peter

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
m3e30 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3e30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 15:27

Hi,

a proffesional has done all the work (scuttle, sunroof, above numberplate etc. etc.) 2 weeks ago, now we are waiting for the bloody windscreen, BMW said it should only take 3 days, now we are 3 weeks further  (and over here in Holland it is very sunny at the moment, so even more: )

Regards Joep

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 16:03
Peter, I'm not sure when the car will hit the road again.Lets just say if I have to passenger to the Nurburgring next Easter,I won't be happy.
track slag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote track slag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 16:15
I take my hat off to you i remember your car from the ring last year.Mine was the white e30 with a very similar No plate. I had to get my side skirts painted last month i found various holes in the sill n/s & o/s. And the bottom of the wings have disapered . I have made temporary repairs until winter and the big strip down Good luck
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 16:27

Hi Brian, I've been busy too....my Evo2

Excuse the poor picture quality!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 16:34
That's cheating Paul! You have a workshop and lift How's the bodywork on the Evo2,any rust ?
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 16:40
Brian

Well done on getting the courage to find out what is hiding behind all those panels. Once the work the is complete you will be set for a further 16 years of happy ownership. Good to hear you are planning on putting it to use on the NS

Cheers
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 18:22

Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

That's cheating Paul! You have a workshop and lift How's the bodywork on the Evo2,any rust ?

Yes, plenty!  I'll start another topic in a few days with some close up shots.

Having the workshop and 2 poster lift is a great help to say the least! Looks like you are soon going to run out of room.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 03:41
Good to see your on the move with it Brian.

Had a real good poke around the rear over the
weekend of mine. Only 2 small surface rust spots,
one under the boot seal about 2cm accross and
some around the inner face of the number plate
lights. But thats all....   but the sills are coming off
next as I have spoted a 'creeper' poking its little head
out!

Front end of mine is pretty good as well. Only a few
small spots and the slight begining of something
under the passenger side of the scuttle, but after
inspection it's not so bad.

Only bad point at the mo is the area under the fuse
box that needs attension really.

Good luck.
Nick @ TBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick @ TBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 08:19

Join the club!

Spent last week stripping the Ewok, getting rid of all the sound deadening and cleaning it up prior to spraying, but have found some worriying things underneath all that foam and plastic

Firstly the foot wells were totally sodden with water and although there only appears to be surface rust on the metal, there must be some kind of water leak from the bulkhead. Wouldn't have thought it was the scuttle since this was fixed by ML not too long ago.

Most worrying part is the roof though... It appears that at some point in its life it has taken a really bad knock (possible roll?). Where the passenger seat belt pillar meets the roof is buckled and is suffering very badly from rust (which you can see coming through the sunroof) and there's a lot of filler above this area instead of metal

Other than that, the rest of the car is quite good

I dont quite get why these cars rust so badly... I mean my dad's old Audi 80 Sport ('83) never had a problem... but I'm guessing that's because Audi starting galvanising cars way before even BMW?

Edited by Nick @ TBMW
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 18:27
Nick, does this mean Ewok won't be at the rolling road day?
Nick @ TBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick @ TBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 19:02
Hi Paul - should still be there!

I'm hoping once I've got the usual writing stuff out of the way this week I can get on and sort the car out... just need to attack it with a wire brush, some kurust and white spirit and it should look at least half decent!

Was hoping to have all the suspension sorted by then as well but it's looking a little unlikely atm (waiting on coilovers...), however the new special wheels may be on the car

Edited by Nick @ TBMW
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:43
Little update.Work has been very slow on the car, infact, it's only the second full day I've spent doing anything to it. Here's some not-so nice pics of some more rust.....

The first rust pic is the floor/fire wall /sill area on the near side.Didn't look to bad until I started poking about with a screwdriver...oops

The second shows rust all along the scuttle panel.So new scuttle it is then .

The third is of the off side wheel arch area, and rather worryingly, there's a nice size rust hole right below where the brake line enters and is bolted to the inner wing. This was just a very small speck of rust until I went poking with that damn screwdriver again.

Number shows the rear panel and another nice size hole just above where the exhaust would be.The number plate lights are also rotten.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll look ok again one day

Edited by BMG M3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:21

Brian, I know what you mean.....something looks very minimal, untill you attack it with a screwdriver, then you've got a hole almost the size of your fist!!  Not only does the plastic panels hide a multitude of sines, but also the factory sealer and underseal.

Good work though....keep going! Don't think about how you're gonna feel when putting it back together, I am sure there are many of us who will help when we can  I hope so anyway!

Lancastrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 17:17

It will be worth it in the end. I think your plan to have the shell blast cleaned, at least in some areas, looks like a good one.

I am very impressed with all the tags on the wiring loom.

My one bit of advice is that you should keep up with labelling and bagging up every item and its fasteners. I thought that I had done this in enough detail but still found bits that I could not easily identify when putting it all back together.

Peter

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2006 at 18:09
Before putting the interior all back in, make sure you go at the car with lots of water to check for any leaks. Mine had a few!
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAWIEM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2006 at 04:35

Hello Brian,

Awesome task you have there. Just finishing the Alpina so know what you are in for. If you need any help with the heavier items, give me a call. Only to happy to help.

Starting project M2 shortly, so I`m sure there will be lots of tinworm as well.

Take your time, and your efforts will be rewarded, and take lots of Photo`s. They become inspriations when you can see from where you have progressed.

Brian, youre a good navigator round the ring so you are welcome anytime to jump in.

Regards,

Dave

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic