Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedX-braces OR strut brace ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: X-braces OR strut brace ??
    Posted: 10-May-2006 at 07:05
Hi all is this a cheaper way to go instead of using a strut brace as our friends in the USA seem to think there a good thing also where can you get one from and are the easy to fit and of course how much ?:)

Edited by madman
Sponsored Links

FloridaBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 10:13

Is your car an E36 0r E46?  The reason I ask is that I think the x-brace is primarily designed for the 36.  The strut brace seems to have a more unverasl fit. I have even seen rear "strut" braces on E30's and M coupes.

I have a strut brace on my 46 and at first did not notice a diff until I took it off. There is a much more nibble feel to the front end and what appears to be a tighter response when it is on the car.

There are quite a few retailers here in the US. Bavarian Auto has a number in stock as does BMP designs.  Good luck.

madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 15:57

Hi mate mines a E36 touring 28i I have seen on some of the US web sites that you guys big them up am I correct ?

Do you know or does anyone know how hard they are to fit and the best place to purchase one

mike328i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 16:03

Originally posted by madman madman wrote:

Hi all is this a cheaper way to go instead of using a strut brace as our friends in the USA seem to think there a good thing also where can you get one from and are the easy to fit and of course how much ?:)

You might want to have a look at this link http://www.understeer.com/xbrace.shtml

Parts costs

2 large rear bolts 31.10.1.095.140 (38p each)
4 smaller bolts front 07.11.9.915.093 (19p each)
4 Rivnuts for smaller bolts if not fitted 51.71.8.175.003 (38p each)
Actual cross brace pt number 51.71.8.410.212 (£77)

madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 16:06
Ta MIKE nice one mate will have a look
FloridaBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by madman madman wrote:

Hi mate mines a E36 touring 28i I have seen on some of the US web sites that you guys big them up am I correct ?

Do you know or does anyone know how hard they are to fit and the best place to purchase one

Pretty much every car has them. I am looking at strut braces for the  E36.  I have been getting OEM stuff from a guy locally http://www.bimmerbum.com/.  If you don't see it just email him for a price quote. I got an M-Tech rear bumper for less than my Tech could buy it for.

Currently I am looking at this place http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

But before you play top $$$$ if you know what you want I can check with the local clubs if you don't mind "pre-owned."  Keep me posted.

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 18:06

Madman,

Depends how you want change the chassis characteristics. Imagine you're making a box out of the bits that each brace connects to. The Xbrace makes a box out of the chassis legs and cross member and anything connected to that, steeing rack for instance. With fitting the lower brace you remove the flex that is inherent in the chassis legs and in turn the cross member when you input steering forces. This usually gives you tighter and a more responsive steering input/reaction. With a strut brace primarily you are putting the 'top' onto the box that the cross member, lower track arms, roll bar, struts and inner wings makes. This gives a more positive feeling in the handling with a crisper turn in and a more solid feel as it removes the inherent flex at the top of the inner wings as the load transfers up the struts to the mounting at the top of the inner wings under cornering. These works best with good quality fully adjustable  suspension as it allows better fine tuning of the front end handling but makes a huge difference on any set up, depends how much of a perfectonist you want to be.

One to remember tho, it will magnify any older or worn components and best to have a poly bush setup if poss.

Soz I'll shut up now and get me anorak 

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
mk5cos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 17:31

it worked a treat on my convertible e36. stopped the shuttle shake a great deal when the roof was down...

mk5cos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 17:32
or schuttle shake? something like that anyway ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic