Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy other German powered car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2008 at 15:33
Put two videos up on youtube:

Ballyryan - Saturday

Ballyalban - Sunday (probably the best bit of tar in Ireland).

Excuse the poor sound quality... it's a cheap camera!
Sponsored Links

nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2008 at 17:43

Mine was that 4-door M3 alright, I was heading up the race hill after the finish and felt a bit sheepish as I could remember where that MkII was approaching the corners sideways

Herself even enjoyed it, there wasn't one bit of boredom or waiting around. You had full access to the cars are there were no spoilt pre-madonnas - reminded me of my old Motocross and Grasstraking days.

@Fey - you wouldn't have been the guy not too short on height ? Thought it might've been you talking with Digweed just after the event at the start line (we were tracking back down the hill on foot)

Not many BMW's though, couple of nice E39's in the paddock area and of course Denis' M3 (which nearly left some paint on my elbow while passing close to a wall after the first turn.....)

When's the next one on ??? 

E39 530d Touring

denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2008 at 18:00
Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

... (which nearly left some paint on my elbow while passing close to a wall after the first turn.....)

When's the next one on ??? 

Eh, sorry about that!

Next championship event is the Clare hillclimb (based around Ballyvaughan and Carron) - June 7th & 8th.

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2008 at 18:41

Thoe videos look well, but don't really show off the conditions.  In the second video, if you go over the edge on the right from 41 seconds onward, you basically fall off the world!

NN_DD; that sounds like it was me you saw with Digweed.

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2008 at 19:30

Thanks Fey! and Digweed

You had a difficult weekend, I enjoyed my drives to 3rd in class both days.

I am getting slower in my old age though. 2006 128s 2007 131s 2008 134s, This is a trend I need to stop

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2008 at 14:38

Two events since last update

Clare Motor Club 7/8 June 2008

This was a difficult event. On Saturday at the Corkscrew outside Ballyvaughan, I had an oil pipe blow off as my double drive for the weekend Cillian Bannon ( a first time competitor) brought the car to the start line. Some emergency repairs had to be done as the oil cooler was also damaged. I ended up 2nd of the 4 competitors in the class, Siobahn McCann achieved her first class win.

Sunday at "the scalp" near Carron, Cillian and I had to keep the car cool having no functioning oil cooler so a lot more pushing the car around the paddock. Cillian discovered his natural talent finshing 2nd after Siobhan with me in 3rd!

Tipperary Motor Club at Dungarvan 5/6 July 2008

Both days were in very changeable conditions, Saturday I finished 2nd after Colm Dunphy in a Formula Ford with Siobhan in 3rd.

Sunday I did a good first run with no one near me on time, so I sat there watching as the rest of the class tried to beat my time. Siobhan came close on the 4th run. This was my first class win of the season with Siobhan 2nd and Colm 3rd

I am currently first in my class in the Magnus Technology National Championship, although with dropped scores to come into play, Colm holds an advantage.

Next event

Limerick Motor Club 2/3 August 2008 Saturday at the Old Mill near Newcasstle West, Sunday Boola hill near Broadford on the Limerick/Cork border

Hope to see you there

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 17:21

My Home Event

Limerick Motor Club's rounds of the Magnus Technology National Championship were held onthe 2nd and 3rd of August at the Old Mill near Newcastle West on Saturday and Boola Hill near Broadford on Sunday.

The start line on Saturday had to be moved because of recent rain. The start area never dried so starting technique was vital to maximise speed on the quick course. Siobhan had the lead on runs 1 and 2, she had spin on run 3 which allowed me to take lead for runs 3 and 4. Siobhan took the win on run 5.

Sunday at Boola hill was another quick event. Learning which fast sweep was which was vital. The day started with very variable weather conditions. Scott Milligan took the class lead on run 1 after both Siobhan and I had wet runs. Siobhan took the lead for runs 2,3 and 4. With the road dry for run 5 Siobhan improve by 1 second, but I improved by 2.5s to take the win.

Day 2's 5 runs on YouTube

Next Event takes place 23/24 August at the now by passed Cullenmore bends near Ashford, Co. Wicklow organised by the MEC

This is convenient to spectate from Dublin. Here are some coordinates for you SAT NAV

Start line Latitude: 53.0422° Longitude: -6.0892°

Junction between Finish and Paddock Latitude: 53.0272° Longitude: -6.0940°

Drop down to see Denis Hogan in his E36 M3 and me in the Formula Vee. 

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2008 at 07:40

Sorry about not putting date in previous post

23/24 August Just a week and a bit to go!

Hope to see you there

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2008 at 09:58
I'm afraid I won't make it to Wicklow Ger... unless I win a few hundred euro before the event.  My father might take the M3 out though.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2008 at 22:11

Eventful Event

23/24 August 2008

The first day of the Motor Enthusiasts Club Sprint at the Cullenmore bends near Ashford Co. Wicklow started with rain on the horizon. Everybody started exploring their limits from the practice run. I went beyond my limit and spun exiting the second chicane. Being a little cautious on the 1st timed run led to a time of 53.23s 3rd place behind Richard Dunphy in a FFord 52.18s and Siobhan McCann FVee 52.84s. On the slightly damp second run I spun again at the same spot! The weather worsened so the first run times determined the final result.

Sunday was completely different weatherwise with the sun nearly splitting the stones. Richard Dunphy took the early class lead and was not caught. The battle for 2nd was a bit more exciting. Siobhan set a time of 49.99s on her first run to my 52.32s. Then catastrophy struck for Siobhan, Scott Milligan who shares her car, lost control at the first chicane and made a bit of a mess of the car, Scott was a bit sore afterwards! I offered Siobhan the drive in my car, which she accepted and duly started beating me in my own car. I rectified things on the final run to pip her for 2nd place with a time of 47.65s to her 48.07s

No YouTube video of my spins, but here are Runs 3 and 5 from Sunday

Next event Donegal Motor Club 6/7 September at Knockalla near Portsalon. 

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2008 at 20:11

The Battle to the end

Donegal 6/7 September 2008

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread, I have been busy

My wife and I headed for Donegal on Friday evening. It was a miserable drive, we were following a torrential band of rain!

Saturday dawned a beautiful sunny day. As we headed out from the hotel to Knockalla mountain where the event was being held, about 15 miles, there was a loud bang from the back of the Kangoo. Investigation showed that the left rear torsion bar had broken and the rear of the van was resting on the bump stop.

In the battle for the championship I had to finish ahead of Siobhan on just on day. After a close battle Siobhan beat me by 0.25s. One sillyness that happened to me on the practice run was I lost power coming out of the tight right. Panic had the engine developed a problem, then I noticed I had knocked off the ignition switch. I turned it on and bump started the car just before it slowed to a stop. Of course I tried too hard on the final run and demolished a cone at the chicane!

Sunday Last chance for me! Siobhan got off to a flier, nearly 2 seconds quicker than me! She improved on runs 2 and 3. After a few bits of advice on where I losing time (braking to early at the chicance and too late at the right hander) I managed to get to within 0.39s of her time.

We were beaten both days by Colm Dunphy in the Formula Ford. The championship ended 93 points for both Siobhan and I, Siobhan took the championship by virtue of having 1 more 10 point score than me!

Denis Hogan in his E36 M3 finished 2nd and 3rd in class 3B each day

BMW M3 and Sheane FVEE

The Times

Saturday FTD Paul O'Connell 40.39s. 20th overall Denis Hogan 49.45s. 42nd Overall Me 52.99s

Sunday FTD Paul O'Connell 40.24s. 24th overall Denis Hogan 49.35s. 38th Overall Me 51.10s

John Mahon took the FVee to his base in his truck (a crankshaft oil seal needs to be replaced. The Kangoo came back from Donegal with a block of timber propping up the rear!

Next event probably the Wexford Hillclimbs 28/29 March 2009 I would hope to do a test day before then though.

And there will be more trouble as another female driver joins class 5A.

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2008 at 20:40
Donegal was good craic alright. It took eight hours to get from Limerick to Knockalla in torrential rain. I don't think anyone in the paddock could believe that the sun came out for the rest of the weekend.

A few of us were out in Tynagh last weekend. Zero grip and loads of sideways- great fun. Ger's new class 5a opponent, Brid, was out in a Vee for her first ever run. She did very well in the slippy conditions and really got into the swing of it over the course of the day. So, class 5a is about to get even more competitive.

Edited by denishogan
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2009 at 20:00
Had my first drive of 2009 in the Formula Vee today at a
test day at Mondello Park

Didn't last too though.

The inlet manifold on the left side broke, leading to
some very erratic running.

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2009 at 21:32
I had planned on heading down but the young fella's Ga training chained to Saturday afternoons (from Sunday mornings).
Still, I suppose I might get a lie in tomorrow
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2009 at 10:27
Just a quick update
I have not been out in the Vee since the test day. I have now missed first 3 weekends of this season.

I have a sore shoulder and am going to physiotherapy for it. Tape stuck all over me trying to pull me back into shape! Physio thinks I might need an MRI scan to find out what is wrong.

The van is also sick (front suspension battered by Irish roads!) and the shoulder limits what I can do.
If anyone wants to give me a hand with the van let me know.

Gerard
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2009 at 11:28

Sorry you missed Ballyvaughan, Ger.  Hope the shoulder improves soon.

Saw the two Denis' down there.  Digweed probably put up the highest mileage over the weekend, and at some of the highest speeds.  Pity we couldn't get a time for him! (He was the bike marshal).

Hope everyone who was there enjoyed it.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 19:46
Quiet Season So Far

Having missed the start of the season due to the sore shoulder. I decided to just do one event the Phoenix Park Motor Races

This year the top race is again for Formula Libre cars. This race is going to be called the Dublin Grand Prix.

I am renting a quick wings and slicks single seater for that race.
If anyone would like to sponsor me, send me a PM, it's not often a chance to sponsor a car in a Grand Prix comes along!

Oh the shoulder. Physiotherapy is doing great things! Scans showed there was nothing major wrong. Just a bit of old age narrowing 2 disks pinching the nerves to my left side. The physio stretches are loosening things up nicely.

That's my news for now

Edited by kbannon
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2009 at 20:24
Below is the car that I am hoping to rent from askracing.com

Photo Source Robbie Kennedy on Flickr

The car is a Ralt RT22 F3000 chassis fitted with a tuned 3.8 V6 Holden  road car engine. I believe it produces about 340bhp. Total car weight is about 675kg.

If anyone would like to advertise on it let me know. Even if I drive it like an old granney it will be noticed!

Hope to see you all there

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2009 at 00:12
That'll be fun Ger! You won't feel the speed in the Vee
after driving the Ralt.

There is massive exposure for advertisers at the Park.
The crowds have been estimated at 20-30k people each day
at the Park in previous years. Access to the event is
100% free for spectators and if previous years are
anything to go by, there will be a vast selection of cars
on display to suit all tastes. It's also a great place to
get talking to the drivers and organizers if you are
considering giving Motorsport a go.

I have the M3 ready to go for the park and my entry is
in... can't wait.

Edited by denishogan
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2009 at 17:54
A few of us intending to race at the Park will be doing a pre Phoenix Park test day at Mondello 26 July If you are free that Sunday drop down.
You might do pit board for me.

I will be my one and only chance to familiarise myself with the Ralt and if I can't handle Alan will try be in the 2 litre wings and slicks Crossle and if I can't handle that I will have to make do with a Porsche!
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic