Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked328i sport nikasil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 328i sport nikasil?
    Posted: 10-May-2006 at 17:34
Hi I hope people can help, I have been looking to buy a 328i sport for a while and logged on for the 1st time tonight to read everyones views on 328i sports and there problems. I am going to look at a 328i sport at the weekend S plate with under 50k how would I go about checking if linings are nikasil or alusil. Is nikasil a real common problem or just a bit overhyped I really don't know. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 17:59

Hello,

Nikasil is potentially a very serious issue. The easiest way to tell if a car still has a Nikasil block fitted is to ring BMW UK with the chassis number and ask if the engine block was changed under warranty. The telephone number can be found on this site somewhere but you can also get it by ringing your local BMW dealership.

There are people on this forum who have Nikasil engined cars with no problems but I personally wouldn't take the risk. If you do get a Nikasil engined car and it does have problems it will cost you a fortune to fix.

Ahhh...

Just noticed you said S reg. This car is probabaly not affected since S reg is late 1998 to early 1999. And BMW didn't make any more nikasil engined cars after early 1998, although a few may have been made then but not registered until later.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic