Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Check it out! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHICH ONE ??TURBO vs compressor
    Posted: 20-June-2006 at 23:23
get a rotrex supercharger, small easy to install. failing that, get a turbo setup, with a cartech 2025 for the fueling etc. supercharger is easier, turbo has more potential.
www.335itc.co.uk
Its gonna be finished for summer!!! thats the plan!!!
Sponsored Links

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 17:16
These people are a UK agent for ESS superchargers.  They're used quite a bit in the states on BMWs it seems. 

http://www.lindenspecialvehicles.com/Products_ESS.html

Superchargers aren't cheap though.  Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an M3?   I'm sure most insurance companies wouldn't touch you either. 

I've considered it myself before, but only because BMW don't make fast enough automatics. 
madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 15:02
It weren't the engine that i had the problem with it was the guys at REGAL AUTOS if you go on any UK vauxhall web site they haven't got a kind word for them as far as looking at coupe.com I cant as my name IE, madman is used by someone else and for some reason my password is wrong I have tried to contact the moderator with no success so i cant even the browse the site if you know how to help me just let me know anyway yes I would prefer to go with the supercharger as I have had turbo-ed cars in the past and this would be a bit different thanks
pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 00:19
Mad-man your starting to live up to your name  move away from ideas of turbo's. GM engines (not the bigger 6's) are not the same build quality as BMW so supercharging the straight 6 engine is a proven and done thing. Kits are around either UK or State-side, indeed there was a US kit for sale for the 2.5/2.8 engine available with re-cond parts advertised for a fraction of the cost new on the US ebay. Truly bolt on power. Check out the posts and discussions on the subject via e36coupe.com 'forums'. There is a lot of detail/ contacts available.

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2006 at 20:06
Thanks guys I'm put off a super charger only reason is the agent for Active Autowerks in the southern  UK used to do or also does VAUXHALLS and when I had a cavalier all I ever heard was people saying bad things I have had first hand experience as well so I guess its going to be a turbo unit where the best place to go for info and for purchase
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2006 at 09:21
In vague, general terms, and in relation spending the similar money on kits available:

Turbo:
- usually more power to begin with, more possibilities in terms of huge power in the long run

S/C:
- more "drivability" to begin with (no lag), DIY installation is an easier prospect

Most kit systems come with a "chip" or remap, but the best route is a piggyback or replacement ECU.

These lads kits are highly regarded in the states:
Active Autowerks
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 23:38

If retro-fitment to a Beemer, than I think it's more a case of which is easier to buy, install and configure. If your question is 'general' then simply put, a compressor or supercharger is more self contained, works a slightly different way to a turbo and not so much in the way of cooling required. Both require ecu programmes to operate, both apply massive input pressure into the combustion chamber. However it has been more economical for tuners to develop 'bolt on' SC's for BM's rather than turbo - so the short reply would be 'compressor'.

It's a strange situation though especially as the Japanese have turbo'd most of their 4 or 6 pots over the years. Still either method can be expensive to live with. A recent poll on the BMW magazine forum was summarised by Peppernick - he knows superchargers and confirmed they can be expensive and as much work as any turbo to live with.

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2006 at 15:05
Hi all which one do you have or which ones the best thats to include maintenance costs install costs and lifetime expected
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic