Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked(1995) 320i engine problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: (1995) 320i engine problem
    Posted: 16-June-2006 at 00:30

hi people new to site,,

i have a problem with my car its a bmw 3 series 320i M reg 1995. driving down the motorway, looked down and seen temp lighting up so pulled over and when i stopped the engine cut out, phoned the aa , they tried the car it started ok he had a look at it and the radiator was boiling out with water  filled it up put cap back on and left it to run, then it cut out 5 min later, he said it looks like the head gasket has gone, but could be thermerstat as this gives same simptons, so got it home took it to a garge he looked at it no oil in water no water in the dip stick, white mayo stuff in oil filler cap but could be condensation, he felt the water pipes each side of the thererstat one side was hot one wasnt, so he said looking at that it looks like the thermerstat has gone not the head, he did a compresion test to check came back cly 1=160, cly 2=130, cly 3=140, cly 4=150, cly 5=150, cly 6=170. he said it wasn't the head its the thermerstat, so hes changed thast to day and told me it s not solved the problem the gasket has gone as well, so ive done a co2 dye test on the water but it came back clear no co2 in the water,

so compresion ok co2 test ok , what can it be, is there somthing stupid that ive missed like water pump a blocked hose ,that could be creating a lot of presure and the car to over heat other than gasket, as ive had quotes from £800 - £1500 to repair the car. is this a diy job.  thank you for your help .

Edited by f40 cab
Sponsored Links

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2006 at 15:02

Hi there, wlecome to the site - hope we can help

If you are not getting oil into the water or water into the oil then the HG sounds like it is ok. If you run the car temporarily without the themostat just to check whether there is a problem there or not. You may also be getting an airlock, when warm are you getting hot air at the heater with the fan on? 

Best way to test the coolant system for contaminant is to check for HC's (Hydrocarbons), not CO2, use an emmision tester (Local MOT station may be able to help) to check the air in the expansion tank, any HC's at all then it is contamintaed by exhaust, ergo, head gasket may be leaking. Is the system under high pressure, i.e. are the water pipes going rock solid, cant depress when warmed up? 

Temperature sensors can cause it to cut out but shouldn't make it overheat. 40psi between the cyliders isn't a small difference IMO, does is blue smoke at high revs at gear change or start up, mileage? Did he check them twice/three times? 

It can be a DIY job if you are pretty well up on taking cylinder heads off and refitting but if not then no it's not a DIY job.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Madrab
1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
f40 cab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2006 at 17:21

hi thank you rob ive taken it back to the garage to get it bled again and make sure there is no air lock in it, he's done that and has now pointed towards the fan and viscous coupling,he said when you start the engine the fan turns fine but when you rev the engine the fan stays at the same speed, engine gets hotter the fan doesnt cool it fast enough high temp thererstat goes, ive told him to do the job, as i want it sorting out and back on the road, but does this sound like it can cause the over heating problem. what happens when the coupling is faulty what is its job. thank you again for your help its good to talk to other people  im sure i'll be back again with a few more small problems ive got but i'll save them for another time. thank you again.

autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2006 at 19:38

Hi.

While he is doing the fan ask him to pull the pump out. I suspect you will find the impellor has come loose on it's shaft. Another way to check this is to watch for circulation in the top of the rad when the engine is revved.

FYI, the hc sniffer test with a gas analyser has been proven to not be valid in many cases because some coolants contains some hc's.

HTH

Alan

Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2006 at 17:27
Those sniffer tests are often a waste of time on
BMW's and if it's not a water pump I would imagine
it's either a cracked head or a head gasket. It doesn't
need to mix oil or water to be a head gasket problem
- if fact it's almost never that. The old water/oil mixing
was on the older M20 engines and was due to a
crack in the head from the central waterway up into
the cam area. The head gasket may well have blown
across one of the cylinder fire rings. Either way I
would not be attempting to repair the engine if it's the
alloy block version - overheat them once and they're
junk. For a start you'll need the special tool (and the
relevant knowledge) to lock up and reset the Vanos
and secondly, you may well strip the threads in the
alloy block when retightening the head bolts - this is
because the overheating will have weakened the
threads. Head bolts MUST come from BMW as the
aftermarket ones are crap and bottom out in the
block which can also pull the block threads out.
If it still overheats with the system bled, new pump
etc you must suspect the head to have a crack which
is becoming quite common on M50/M52's now. The
best replacement for a dead alloy block single vanos
engine is an older type iron block unit which is a
direct swap and vastly cheaper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic