Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClicking from Heater Valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clicking from Heater Valve
    Posted: 22-June-2006 at 12:04

Hey All

Just noticed something today while sitting on the front of my cars bonnet. There is a clicking coming from the engine, while the car is parked and locked! I popped open the bonnet and tracked the 'click' to something under the cover that covers the heater valve. If I put my hand on that black cover, I can feel the clicking.

What the hell is under that cover that could make that 'click' and could this maybe be related to why my climate control system does not turn off??? The car is a 1995 E34 525I AUTO.

Many Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sponsored Links

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 05:48

Yes, the heater valves are clicking as they are pulsating. And if they still pulsate while the car is locked and engine is not running, you are in trouble. Because that will drain your battery very quickly. Ask here for help

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e34/

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/

Both E34 boards are very good and have a lot of info in the archives, therefore use the search engine first.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 07:50

Hey shogun

Would the above problem be caused by a faulty climate control module, relating to my other posts??? Or is this yet another fault with the IHKR system, and I will have to replace the valves?

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 13:01

When my engines running I cannot feel any clicking or hear any clicking from my heater valves at all - should I? I've also got permanent hot air from the demist and footwell on the drivers side only (irrespective of temp knob) but when I vary the drivers temp knob it does vary the temp of the centre vent (both sides).

I'm not sure if I have more than one problem here. Any clues guys?

Nev

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 18:39

@Beemaboy

yes, I assume the faulty climate control module, see my other pos to your problem.

@oddball

When engine is running you will not hear the heater valves clicking. Permanent hot air from drivers side footwell and demist shows that the driver side heater valve does not close. It can be that the valve is stuck, the thumbwheel at the control panel is not working, or the control module behind the center console might have a fault, in that order. The valves are open fully (if not stuck) when they do not get any power. So remove the black plastic cover on the heater valves, then remove the plug (3 pins) from the heater valve block and measure the voltage and let at the same time someone move the thumbwheel at the control panel. There should be some changes to be found with a multimeter. Soemtimes it also helps to give the stuck valves a whack with a hammer to get lose again. You can also try to switch the connector to the opposite valve (with some wire in between because the plug will not fit) If now the problem switches to passenger side, the valve is the problem. This info is good http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/ihka/ihka.html Furtheron some general stuff:  I did once a switch fix. Left side thumbwheel which corrected the mysterious heat problem,it was not making contact, so the heater water valves would not close off and changed two lights on the circuit board recently using parts from a spare and it came out great.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199950 http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/148892/

center vents never blow complete cold or hot air, there always ambient air and cold or warm (heated) comes in.

Hope that helps

I suggest you buy a Bentley repair manual for the E34, is worth every pence.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 21:55

Thanks shogun - I'll be doing some voltage measuring this weakend then.

Many thanks!

Nev

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 07:30

Hey All

I thought I would bring this thread back to life with an update on my problem. I have just replaced the Climate Control Module and it has made no difference. the blower still keeps on running and the heater valves click away while the car is parked.

Strange thing is, that even with the Climate Control Module unplugged, the blower fan will still run on all speeds.

I am really appealing to anyone right now to help me solve this problem. The car has started stranding me again cos the battery is draining while she is parked for a day or two. I have so far replaced the following: Final Stage Resistor, Climate Control Module, relevant fuses...none of this has helped! Can anyone tell me if there is a relay for the ventilation system...cos this sounds like a relay has failed and is stuck on...no matter what!

Please, please can someone suggest a fix

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 08:58
Has no one ever heard of anything like this on an E34???
87 E30 320I
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 10:12

As a last sort of ditch effort, could this possibly be the Ignition Switch that is doing this??? The other thing that does not turn off is my Radio...It is always on...Is this a feature on the car or is it supposed to turn off???

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2006 at 12:41

Beemaboy try this thread from 2003.

I found it by searching the words Heater on

http://www.bmw-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1973&KW=H eater+on+

hope it helps

Hayabusa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic