Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSteering wheel vibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel vibration
    Posted: 22-June-2006 at 14:26

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at buying a 1988 635CSi however it has a few issues which I am not sure about. On accelerating when you reach about 60mph the steering wheel starts to judder as though the wheel balancing is out (but this was checked last week so it is that!) and remains up to 90mph - not been any faster! Then when braking there is another judder between 50-40mph. None before and none after. I have heard this can be the upper control arm bush. Upon inspection and giving it a wobble by hand it looks OK - no obvious rubber squeezing out. Can they be still be disfunctional even if they appear alright? The car did have a new cross member fitted last year so could this have put out the geometry of the front suspension?

Another point is a small amount of corrosion on the rear 4" of the sills both sides - does this often hide a horror story beneath, or could it simply need a good repair? The car generally seems in very good condition with a little work being required on the interior. The engine and gearbox are very sweet.

The final thing is in relation to a leak - I remember reading somewhere about leaks with reference to the glovebox. The owners manual appears to have some water damage and I remember the current owner mentioning a while ago about water in the passenger foot well. Is there a common place for them to leak in the front?

Any help or comment would be much appreciated.

Dave (potential 6-series owner!)

Edited by durg
Sponsored Links

Check it out! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 17:08
Hi Durg. I havnt owned my six nearly 2 weeks, and i have two of the issues you state.

I am an e30 person, and i know the 325i convertibles inside out. the 6 is new to me.

On the judder, i have found my car wasnt used much, and after driving her for around a 1000miles this judder has significantly decreased. my car was used little, and was no more than 100 yards from the coast itself.

I still believe that my suspension is suspect.

cheapest overhauli have found is the 16 piece kit, that doesnt include top mounts from ebay.com (america). thisis 420 dollars, and 120 dollars postage. with the current exchange rate this is around £300 delivered, plus some minor import. should be arund £350 all in.

I would recommend you inspect first, and get some replies from previous six owners as well.

i found after about 80 mine went, and didnt appear right up to a very impressive top speed......... which i'll leave that point at that.

Corrosion wise, i have someon my car. normally i fear the whole "10 times worse that it looks". but my six is literally surface, and some paint popping. tapping i get a nice hollow sound i would expect and no thuds from newspaper filled sills etc.

The cars are rather high off the ground in standard form, so checking underside can be done to some degree without lifting the car. also, feel inside the rear arches, try and disturb it, anything more than dry dirt/ mud i would have to inspect further.

do not inspectthe car in the wet.

As i hear from these forums the wet floor could be down to the sunroof drain pipes from the roof. if this has corroded it wuld be difficult to solve without a large amount of headline removal etc. it could alsojust be a general blockage, bad window seal etc.

Edited by Check it out!
www.335itc.co.uk
Its gonna be finished for summer!!! thats the plan!!!
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 17:58

Did you get the back wheels balanced as well. Sometimes the rear can be the culprit.

Another less likely possibility is the hub assembly. This more of a front drive problem due to the extra mass of the drive shafts.

This can be checked using an on vehicle wheel balancer. This is a two part machine 1 a sensor that is put under the bottom ball joint and 2 a sit on box that spins the wheel up to speed and monitors its position. These balancers are more commonly found in truck tyre outlets.

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 22:44
Has it got after market wheels or wheels from an E39? If so, check it's got the hubcentric rings fitted. The wheel centre bore is larger on the E39 so the wheel is positioned by the bolts only.

Sixes are very heavy on front bushes. They were designed for 14" wheels & skinny (by todays standards) tyres. Later Sixes like your Highline had much wider rubber which knocks the hell out of all the joints & bushes. If they haven't been changed in the last 3 or 4 years (or 30 -40k miles) then they'll need doing. Top mounts could also be suspect.

Cheap brake discs don't last & warp easily.

There is no such thing as "surface rust" on a Six. They are all rusting, it's just a case of how bad it is. Rust on the rear of the sills is potentially worrying. Inside will be much worse & it's where the rear subframe member attaches. If it's bad here repairs will be expensive.

Water leak - windscreen seals & blocked sunroof drain are most likely but also check for corrosion where inner wing meets the bulkhead.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 22:49

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

...Sixes are very heavy on front bushes. They were designed for 14" wheels & skinny (by todays standards) tyres. Later Sixes like your Highline had much wider rubber which knocks the hell out of all the joints & bushes. If they haven't been changed in the last 3 or 4 years (or 30 -40k miles) then they'll need doing. Top mounts could also be suspect...

You might want to replace the upper and lower control arms with the uprated versions now supplied by Meyle. These apparently have the same heavy-duty bushes installed which were used on the E32 750i/iL (which was one heavy car)....

.....There is no such thing as "surface rust" on a Six. They are all rusting, it's just a case of how bad it is. Rust on the rear of the sills is potentially worrying. Inside will be much worse & it's where the rear subframe member attaches. If it's bad here repairs will be expensive....

...and you might just want to have a look in the rear footwells under the carpet... If it's even mildly damp, I think you might have a slight problemas tecnicos.....

Edited by Horsetan

durg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 23:03

Has it got after market wheels or wheels from an E39? If so, check it's got the hubcentric rings fitted. The wheel centre bore is larger on the E39 so the wheel is positioned by the bolts only.

The car has replica alpina's and no hubcentric ring as far as I remember so I guess it would need them. What is the spec of the cars hub? I can find out hub the diameter of the replacement wheels.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 23:06

Originally posted by durg durg wrote:

What is the spec of the cars hub? I can find out hub the diameter of the replacement wheels.

The E24's hub diameter is 72.4mm

The E39's hub is 74.1mm.

durg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 23:09
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by durg durg wrote:

What is the spec of the cars hub? I can find out hub the diameter of the replacement wheels.

The E24's hub diameter is 72.4mm

The E39's hub is 74.1mm.

Many thanks for that - I just found some on eBay for £15 quid. Could be a lot cheaper than a full suspension overhaul!

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 10:23

There is no such thing as "surface rust" on a Six. They are all rusting, it's just a case of how bad it is. Rust on the rear of the sills is potentially worrying. Inside will be much worse & it's where the rear subframe member attaches. If it's bad here repairs will be expensive.

Thats like saying there is not such thing as a scratch lol!

Ive checked my six over, and in most places i only have surface rust, i can explain andy if required, but im sure you can figure this out.

The e39 wheels is an interesting one, im picking up some today! Anywhere in the south west area i can pick up some spigot rings, rahter than ebay? wanted to get these on th this weekend really!

anybody interested in 6 trx wheels (240's), two excellent tread, one good, rest illegal.

www.335itc.co.uk
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 12:35
Originally posted by Check it out! Check it out! wrote:

Ive checked my six over, and in most places i only have surface rust, i can explain andy if required, but im sure you can figure this out.

I know what I can figure out. You've already found you need a complete suspension overhaul. You say the brakes need doing too. But there's only "surface" rust??? On a 20 year old car that done 155k miles!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 12:42

I havnt figured that out yet. i have a wheel vibration, that has got significantly less since driving her. The car was parked near the sea and this was when my difficult to comprehend "surface rust" started (i have pics six months prior with no rust at all (on the body externally).

I am thinking it could be a whole number of normal things besides suspension. I'm not jumping to conclusions. Brakes are spongy, but pull up straight nothing more. Whats the correlation to the bodywork exactly?

www.335itc.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic