Forum LockedDreaded Camshaft Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreaded Camshaft Sensor
    Posted: 26-June-2006 at 20:37
Well then...
I had the Inlet Camshaft Sensor replaced along with a vacum hose alongside. The diagnostic was also done and there were no faults showing.

But, the car is still running rough and still takes long to start up on ignition. There is a slight improvement in performance overall but I am beginning to think that there may be something else faulty.

When putting on the gas it just seems that the fuel is not getting through fast enough as if it was choking. When driving at above 70mph and I put my foot down the car jolts a little during the accelaration. Does anyone think that maybe the fuel pump maybe suspect. But would'nt any other fault have shown up in the diagnostic?
2000 E39 530i Sport Auto M54
Titan Silver
Sponsored Links

shaft View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 00:02
Could be few things fault with crank sensor, which does not always bring up faults, Also faulty ign coil or coils (breaking down under load), Engine wiring loom (which is a favourite) and throttle motor. Needs proper diagnosis at dealer or good BMW auotech garage.
oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 12:44

I had a similar problem on a very different vehicle (CBR 600) which turned out to be burnt wiring loom (caused by corrosion on a multiplug - high resistance - causing mini fire between legs - ouch!). One or more feedback wires to the ECU were damaged thus when the throttle position sensor feedback voltage got to a certain level the signal broke down tricking the ECU into thinking the bike was ticking over when it was running at about 5000 to 6000 RPM.  Not terribly useful when your about to overtake something and need a little welly - not to mention slightly embarrassing. Open the throttle at some points and the bike would actually start to slow down!!

As Shaft said - worth checking out the basic electrics.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic