Forum Locked"18" or "17" that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2006 at 08:32

Even 18 inch are starting to look too small...I thought eye sight was supposed to get worse with age

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
Sponsored Links

JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 23:07
Originally posted by snapon snapon wrote:

Hi, i have a 3 series tourer E46 and its fitted with "17" ....fine. But the devil on my shoulder wants to upgrade to "18"!! very nice. A few questions to be answered please if you could.

1. what is the ride like?

It will be a bit more firm but perfectly fine if you don't life at the end of a farm track

2. Will it make the car sit higher? or can i lower the suspension to compensate? i,e i dont want the wheel arch 2 foot away from the wheel if you know what i mean?

No, if you fit 18"s then the tyres you'll put on will have a lower profile so that the overall rolling radius of the tyres will be the same.You'll see the different wheel and tyre sizes combinations suitable in the handbook or on the tyre pressure plate on the B pillar

3.Should i kick the devil off me shoulder? and live with "17" and just envy "18" drivers?

Nah - go for it. You can get a second hand set from Quarrymotors.co.uk  or Fabdirect.com amongst others. That way if you don't like them you'll be able to sell them on at only a small loss. I would advise against replicas - stick with real BMW wheels, that's just based on my experience of replicas though other think they're fine.

madman View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 22:56
Hi mate go for it my son no probs at all Ive got a E36 tourer with 18" all I did was get it re-tracked I also fitted a set of APEX 35mm springs got them from motech ordered direct from factory I did how ever have a slight problem they sent ones for a four cylinder so I spoke to the men in HOLLAND they speak good English got it sorted no probes my next job is to fit a set of poly bushes the 46 looks the nuts on 18" look up r&r on e bay speak to will he is the guy tell him you know me Jim from the RAC he should do you a good deal he also delivers I got a set of mv2 they are a repro made in ITALY blood good copies even the guys at the stealer's were impressed I paid £500 inc tyres 225/40/18 sorry if I went on a bit hope this helps
snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 18:28

Hi, i have a 3 series tourer E46 and its fitted with "17" ....fine. But the devil on my shoulder wants to upgrade to "18"!! very nice. A few questions to be answered please if you could.

1. what is the ride like?

2. Will it make the car sit higher? or can i lower the suspension to compensate? i,e i dont want the wheel arch 2 foot away from the wheel if you know what i mean?

3.Should i kick the devil off me shoulder? and live with "17" and just envy "18" drivers?

Any advice welcome.

Just Touring....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic