Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCheap TRXs!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap TRXs!!
    Posted: 02-July-2006 at 10:09
For all you metric nuts out there, I've just bought a full set of NEW 415
Michelin TRXs for £279.99! that's for 4 tyres.

The catch? Well they are 230 x 45 x 415, 10mm narrower - big deal, I can
live with it for that price. According to my tyre fitter they were
manufactured 1987 in W Germany but I can also live with that. I don't
think Michelin ever offered this size in the UK.

I think they also have more including some 240x45x415 winter tyres, this
was the ebay advert for the tyres I bought.
ViewItem&item=8060912382&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
3AIT&rd=1">Here

Cheers, Shem

Edited by Shem
What fuel crisis?
Sponsored Links

Shem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 10:12
That link didn't seem to work, here is the text

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=8060912382&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
3AIT&rd=1

Bt the way I have no connection with these people however they were very
friendly on the phone and my tyres arrived when they said and have
been fitted without issue.

Edited by Shem
What fuel crisis?
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 14:42
I would personally be a bit wary of fitting 19 year old tyres as the materials can deteriorate over time. I think most manufacturers recommend replacment after 10 years even if the tread is OK? Hope I am wrong though cause otherwise you've got an absolute bargain!!

1988 E24 635CSi HIGHLINE ZINNOBER RED - Whitesands Bay, Cornwall
Shem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 15:21
I agree and its not ideal but its better than some part worn tyres. Although
age affects rubber Its heat cycles that really ruins tyres. If it was my wifes car
then it would be a different story but I'm prepared to live with it for now.

Has anyone checked the manufacturing date of any newly supplied TRXs? are
Michelin still even making them?
What fuel crisis?
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 17:56

Originally posted by Shem Shem wrote:

I agree and its not ideal but its better than some part worn tyres. Although
age affects rubber Its heat cycles that really ruins tyres. If it was my wifes car
then it would be a different story but I'm prepared to live with it for now.

Has anyone checked the manufacturing date of any newly supplied TRXs? are
Michelin still even making them?

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  19 yr old tyres?  They were a joke in the wet when they were new.   Best of luck with them.

I scrapped my TRX's some years ago.  Left them by a skip at my house as part of house clearance.  Some to**er nicked them, and then 2 days later they re-appeared next to the skip!!!! - he obviously thought he could sell them.  What a nightmare.

Never looked back with the imperials and some decent rubber

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 18:05

Originally posted by Shem Shem wrote:

.....Has anyone checked the manufacturing date of any newly supplied TRXs?

Not sure that the tyres carry date marks - I've never seen them.

Quote  are Michelin still even making them?

They are! Or rather, Coker Tires (a US company which owns the moulds now) are still making them. You can still get them HERE for example (actually, no, not at the moment!!!), and also via Costco if you have an account there.

Edited by Horsetan

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 22:28
Sounds like a real con to me! Tyres do have a shelf life & 19 years is well past it. The sidewalls will have perished & they'll be a death-trap.

I can't believe you're actually considering this!

Don't know if it's come in yet but there's legislation planned which will put the manufacture date on a tyre. The MOT will require tyres to be under a set age - I heard the the figure of 5 years mentioned.

This will have big implications for low annual mileage classics.

Just stop being pikey & buy some imperials! 

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 23:52

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

....This will have big implications for low annual mileage classics.....

Best start filling in that SORN form.....

Shem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 16:52

Dear oh dear oh dear.

If I was driving around at 150 mph in the wet then I would be bothered. I don't so I'm not.

Its an old car on old tyres and it gets driven accordingly. What about the suspension rubbers, etc? Should I get all of these replaced because its a 'death trap'?

I like the original metric wheels and I want the car to be standard, I don't really want to switch to imperials. The performance of the TRXs is adequate for my needs of this car.

What fuel crisis?
dog man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 17:57

I have to agree with AndyS....they are scary in the wet even when you dont expect it....heck, for another £20 quid you could of had a set of 16's I have got with 4 good tyres.

Anyway, just what is it about TRX's that actually makes them bad in the wet?....anyone??

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 18:52
Hard compound. They just don't grip unless they're warm.

Shem, never mind 150mph, 50mph will be enough to kill you. Remember, it's an old car, no airbags etc.

If a tyre wall lets go at the wrong moment you could find yourself in a world of trouble.

If it's the wheel style you like then a set of E34 BBS look just the same.

I'm all for keeping a car standard & original but if you must run TRX's then at least get some that were made this century.

Go for imperials & you won't believe the improvement in ride, handling & grip you gain from modern tyres.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 21:41

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Hard compound. They just don't grip unless they're warm....

Seeing as there's a heatwave down here, best use 'em this week

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:17

A bargain is a bargain - no doubt about that. However four small bits of rubber is all that your car touches the road with, so be careful!

Personally, my advice to you would be to run those in the summer and dry only, and get another set for the wet winters, as your grip will be impaired.

Tyres, like everything synthetic will degrade over time, and the walls would be the weak point i would guess. It is entirely possible that once the outer tread has worn down a little, the rubber underneath will be fine, as it has not been exposed to the air for a number of years.

Personally I would run them, but as I have said not fast, and defo not in the wet, as you are clearly asking for trouble - even with new TRX's.

I would do a few brake tests!

I hope your tyres turn out to be a good purchase, and at the end of the day, its your car, so do what you want!

-Ben

Incedently - now that I have been running my Style 134's 16" for a bit I can report about a 2 MPG fuel gain on the M-ways compared to the TRX's, and i can finally beat a Fiat Punto around corners!

Edited by phb10186

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:19
Have to say I have replaced my metrics with imperials (style 5 split rims - updated sig pic coming soon ), and although the latter are a marked improvement in pretty much every way, the metrics were still perfectly adequate for 99.9% of everyday driving. Trouble is there's always that 0.1% when you just might need that extra grip!!

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:23
It's like buying Third party insurance!

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:28
Damn don't remind me that's all i could afford!! Well I can't really blame the insurance companies being as I've got no no-claims, a recent driving ban, and live in probably the worst postcode in the UK for car crime - Hackney!! Ha, ha they ran a mile when they saw me coming

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:37

Originally posted by mjf297 mjf297 wrote:

....live in probably the worst postcode in the UK for car crime - Hackney!! Ha, ha they ran a mile when they saw me coming

Oh I dunno, Dalston's pretty bad..... 

dog man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:38

interesting mjf297...unfortunately, I'm currently banned (let's not go into it ..I basically undertook an un marked police car-thats it!!)

But I wondered, did you find it difficult getting insured again ?

PHB10186,

I noticed an MPG gain too .. after fitting style 33's on my old six.

DM

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 22:41
I moved "down" to 7x15 Style 31s, which are about half-an-inch wider than the standard 165TR390 metrics. The fuel consumption seems to be slightly worse.

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by dog man dog man wrote:

interesting mjf297...unfortunately, I'm currently banned (let's not go into it ..I basically undertook an un marked police car-thats it!!)

But I wondered, did you find it difficult getting insured again ?

DM

All the quotes I got were just very expensive, I was told it was a combination of the ban, previous claims (one windscreen and one not my fault, all expenses recovered - still counts against you), age (27), postcode, insurance group 20 etc etc. I don't think the ban alone is a problem, maybe a handful of ultra-fussy insurers will say no. My other problem is i have nowhere to park the car off-street, and I use it everyday - both of these factors mean i can't get classic insurance. In the end I wangled getting the car put on my company's fleet policy, third party only - believe it or not still £100 per month and that was by FAR the cheapest  The things we do to live the dream!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic