Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 8 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew member with lots of questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with lots of questions?
    Posted: 27-August-2003 at 00:55

8 months ago I purchased a 1997 840 w/ less than 30k mi. I love the car yet I am disappointed with the overal acceleration particularly off the line.Also, when I floor the pedal it seems like there is to much of a delay before the speed picks up?   Any suggestions without having to make major modifications.   I have looked into a few super chips just can't make up my mind on the best one. Are chips from UK compatible and if so can someone reccomend the best one

Thanks

Revivo

Sponsored Links

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 11:00
Revivo

Standard 8's are not quick by todays standards. I've seen varying 0-60 figures quoted and the consensus is around 7 seconds. Its almost 2MT of muscle car!!!. However, that's not to say it can't be improved. If money is no object then you would to get Dinan to 'supercharge' it taking the BHP upto +-400. Depends how much you are stuck on the 8!!!!

Here's a link with some information on various mods you can make to your 8.

http://membres.lycos.fr/technice31/mods.php

From other forums it appears that changing the differential ratio (using an M5 diff) has the most pronounced effect on the 8's low end performance.

The US has the best 8 forum around (if you are not already a member) The guys on that forum can help you with all the nuts and bolts issues as well as personal experiences. The archives will probably be able to answer all your questions.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e31/

Good luck

Edited by PhilC
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 17:18
Yep, as Phil says, you can get a lot of info on these sorts of mods from the roadfly board. However, I don't think it's cheap! If you just want to beat those Subarus and Mitsubishes away from the lights, you might be headed down the wrong path.

Best to think of the 8 as a GT that can cruise safely all day at 130+ and still get you there feeling cool and comfortable. I know that not may be too relevant to you in the US, but that is certainly what the 8 was designed and built for.
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 17:20
BTW, post some pics if you can. It's always nice to see another 8!
Revivo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 20:41

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. good to know that the 8 series has such a strong following. I must admit that I fell in love with the car the second I saw it. I am committed to keeping this car around for a very long time. Just looking to make a few improvements to both performance and handeling. I wish money was no object, yet within reason I can afford to make modifications as I go along. I want to hear from actual owners like yourselves as to what's been done successfuly so that I can minimze mistakes.  I do love the fact that my car cruises with such ease and comfort at high speeds. There is a lot to be appreciated about such a fine car.

Let me know what you think

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 23:26
I've owned mine for 10 months and haven't made any mods for various reasons $$$ being one. Sniff and Aussie840 have both modified their cars and will be in a better position to advise.

You own a very special car. Enjoy....
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2003 at 08:43
Actually I've not done much to mine at all. I've got aftermarket exhaust (Eisenmann) which the previous owner put on. I suspect it's more for sound than performance but maybe it liberates a few more bhp.
That and the BMW parallel wheels are all that's been added.

I'm with you Revivo...my intention is to keep it for a long time. The only issue is the usual one...$$$$!!! As long as I can afford to keep it running, I'll be hanging onto it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic