Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked633CSI 1980 VALUATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 633CSI 1980 VALUATION
    Posted: 11-July-2006 at 12:57

I Have a 633csi 1980 henna red that i need to sell. Does anybody have an idea of value please?

61k miles - only have MOT certificates from 1996 to confirm this

No MOT or TAX

Very good condition all round

New calipers, brake pipes and master cylinder

Body welding

Also any suggestions on where best to sell it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2006 at 13:56
In a nutshell..........not much (relatively).

The trouble is, you can buy a clean and useable
1989 Highline for @£4000, so a 633CSi is not so
appealing. Without an MOT - about £500 tops so you
need to get it MOT'd. Manuals are worth more than
the old 3 speed autos.

BUT - on a 6 Series condition is everything. You
mention welding which sadly is going to put a lot of
buyers off. Of course no car made that long ago is
going to escape rust but it depends on what you
mean - was it a small repair of a jacking point or
welding the front floor back in?

If the car is really nice with the wings replaced, drives
properly and everything works I would guess about
£2500 with an MOT. Of course some owners ask
more but asking and getting are very different.

On the plus side Henna red is a superb colour -
BMW made some pretty ghastly colours back then.

Edited by Drew540i
alamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2006 at 14:11
Any ideas where best to try and sell it? In terms of the welding there wasn't much done, drives fine.
Drew540i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Available from all good newsagents!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2006 at 20:50
Ebay is probably best - see if you can post some
pics up here.
dog man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2006 at 00:32
Autotrader too....all kind's of six's find their way there
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sohlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 12:27

Also car club web site and magasine, Total and BMW Car magasine will get it to the market of people that want to buy this kind of car.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2006 at 23:57

I am convinced that there is no such thing as selling a 6 for a profit (unless your name is Delboy Trotter)! Of course the profit we speak of is in enjoyment, not only monetary; but let's considor this:

A few little things: Sill rust, wings, exhaust = £££ - and for what, so someone else can get your car for half of what you have laid out in the last year!

This is why there are so many 6's around that just sit and rot, since the owners can't bare to to take the financial loss that is realised when they sell their beloved car. So they keep it, and keep it until it fails the MOT and then they keep it another 5 years while it becomes a teabag.

The other thing I don't get is why everyone benchmarks the entire range against what a Highline is worth? It is a matter of personal taste, and it is proven that 6 series BMW's have no price guides - its all about condition on an individual car basis, as can be demonstrated by the huge variations in used prices that these cars are fetching.

Edited by phb10186

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by phb10186 phb10186 wrote:

The other thing I don't get is why everyone benchmarks the entire range against what a Highline is worth?

-I don't understand this either. It seems a bit wrong-headed to me. I mean, if you really NEED a leather covered dash in a heavier car, full of gizmos, and will be severely disappointed with anything else, then  fair enough.

But if not then everything else should be taken on its merits...

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

The other thing I don't get is why everyone benchmarks the entire range against what a Highline is worth?

-I don't understand this either. It seems a bit wrong-headed to me. I mean, if you really NEED a leather covered dash in a heavier car, full of gizmos, and will be severely disappointed with anything else, then  fair enough.

But if not then everything else should be taken on its merits...

Andy highlighted the Highline because it was the latest model you could buy not because of the toys.

And yes, I REALLY need a leather dash & doors because frankly I'm worth it!

As for the weight issue, Autocars tests of a 635 on 06/01/79 listed the weight as 3447lb, 3225lb on 28/04/84 & 3467lb for a Highline on 20/04/88. That's a 242lb or 7.5% increase for better parking protection & a more upmarket feel against the lightest version or 20lb (0.6%) increase against a phase 1 car. I'll not mention the extra 2bhp.

But yes, each car should be judged on it's own merits. The problem is new buyers think they can get a cheap Six that just needs a little tidying then find out how much they really need to spend.

You have to take in to account what else you could buy with the money. £5k - £7k is a rich picking area for classic cars. Not too much money to tie up in a weekend toy & you're mostly going to get your money back when you sell. A nice 2 seater convertible or a big thirsty 635 with expensive corrosion issues?

And why is an E30 325 Motorsport convertible worth £2k more than a standard 325 cab yet there's no difference for a 635 Motorsport??? The mysteries & inequalities of the car market!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 12:08

I know, not much of it makes any sense.

But you would need more than an extra 2bhp to make up for the extra weight of a highline.... more like 20bhp (and then you still have the weight on the brakes...)

The good news is that the highline engine was a real step forward in some ways, and is amenable to being remapped. This could give you that extra 20bhp you need....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

But you would need more than an extra 2bhp to make up for the extra weight of a highline.... more like 20bhp (and then you still have the weight on the brakes...)

So if you had a big passenger like my little brother (19 stone +) then you'd be in the same position as me . . .

This may make a difference on a track against a stopwatch but in normal use on a public road the slight difference would never be noticed - a bit like losing 13bhp on a rolling road!

(The 2bhp comment was tongue-in-cheek by the way - couldn't find the right smiley!)

Edited by AndyS
AndyS

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 19:15

You all raise fair points, and I think that a good M635 Highline is probably the best of the lot, although all 50 or so left in the country are in the hands of peole that will keep them until the oil has run out!

That said the car comes from a chrome trimmed era, and I think that chrome is a necessary addition as far as the design goes. The only reason chrome went out of fashion in the late 80's was that bumpers became crappy plastic bits of trim essentially, and the manufacturers convinced the motoring public that de-chroming was the way forward since chrome trim is expensive to produce.

The ultimate clasic is an E-type jag, and the most desirable ones were definately not the latest V12's, but the preceeding 3.8's, so I cant aggree that using the last incarnation of a model is necessarily right.

Highlines do look great, although only in certain colours - e.g Zinnobar red or whatever it is called, since the red and black contrast well. Darker colours look better with chrome, as that provides the contrast.

1998 Z3 2.8i
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 19:51

Henna red - don't talk to me about henna red. May have been a better colour but BMW don't think so cos they don't do the touch up anymore!

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 20:41

There is probably a halfords colour exactly the same, or almost exactly the same. If not a paint mixer might be able to help you.

1998 Z3 2.8i
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 00:29

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

So if you had a big passenger like my little brother (19 stone +) then you'd be in the same position as me . . .

jeez, I'd hate to meet your big brother....

BTW, are you coming to gaydon?

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 00:49
It's all the fresh North Sea air!

Yes I'll be at Gaydon barring etc, etc.

I'll be on the NE region stand with with the BMW Club North East. I'm told we're at the front next to the museum to the left of the main ramp down.

Look forward to meeting some of you guys. Met Solman before & Rob Born's coming over for a natter too.

AndyS

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 01:14

a good M635 Highline is probably the best of the lot, although all 50 or so left in the country are in the hands of peole that will keep them until the oil has run out!

Only 50 M6's left in Blighty??? Bloody Aussies have stripped us bare!

People are just waking up to how much of a classic the M6 is. I've heard there's an M635 with floorpan rust issues but a good engine in my area which might go for £1500. Should be a good prospect long term.

I think that chrome is a necessary addition as far as the design goes. The only reason chrome went out of fashion in the late 80's was that bumpers became crappy plastic bits of trim essentially, and the manufacturers convinced the motoring public that de-chroming was the way forward since chrome trim is expensive to produce.

Things like chrome come & go in fashion. It's starting to make a bit of a come-back if you look at some new cars.

The ultimate clasic is an E-type jag, and the most desirable ones were definately not the latest V12's, but the preceeding 3.8's, so I cant aggree that using the last incarnation of a model is necessarily right.

There was a 4.2 E-Type from Series 1 1/2. The V12 is starting to be the in-demand E-Type.

In general, the early models of a given design tend to be the best looking as they're the purest. Later versions tend to get bigger & uglier (think Datsun 240Z morphing into the 280). However the last versions tend to be the best sorted (plastic bumpered MGBs excepted).

I have no problem with the looks of the chrome bumpered early Six's providing they aren't on silly little 14" wheels. I could live without the electric seats in my Highline which I never move anyway. Can't say I've had much benefit from the headlight washers either & they're the only extra toys over a chrome bumper. I do like my leather dash though!

AndyS

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 20:33

I have not seen many 6's without headlamp wash/ wipe; although most of them do not work.

I actually confess to making a mistake it was the 4.2 E type that was the most desirable, not the 3.8 as I said. I have always read that the E-type V12 was an unpopular car for Jaguar fans in terms of styling, and thus the earlier ones were more sought after.

Leather dash: If the leather is in good condition, they look great, if its worn and tatty, the plastic ones look better. The leather head lining is a nice touch as well. I have wondered if the leather dash is a normal plastic one just padded and covered; or actually a different dash all together.

I think that a lot of people have considered the M6 to be a classic for a while. The problem with the 6 series has always been the parts prices, insurance, RUST and complexity; and the running costs that result from these (although compared to the new cars it's obviously very basic).

Unfortunately, most people who can afford to run a 6 can also afford to buy a new sports car/ SUV, so the only people to opt for the 6 are those who especially like it as a model/ brand. Nobody could say that a 6 series was a 'practical classic', and thus the practicality issues damage the demand and therefore the prices. Like anything, it is just simple supply and demand economics.

This is why the 2002 represents such a solid buy, and other things such as MGB's, etc.

The 635 belongs in a club with the XJS, the Merc SEC, and even older cars such as the Jensen Interceptor - I don’t think any of these models fetch interesting money - although they have given their owners a lot of enjoyment.

I also don’t think that the advent of the new 6 series made any difference to E24 prices, or ignited interest in the model to any significant degree, or to the degree that us old 6 owners were hoping for

Clearly the M635 had the heritage and the rarity, and it will always fetch a good premium over the standard car, but the success of the M cars to date has been huge, and this obviously has a knock on effect on cars made in the past.

Lastly; Ebay has in my oppinion damaged used prices, since a load of crap examples sell cheaply, and it is these that are forming the underpinnings of used values. When the occassional exceptional example gets listed on Ebay the reserve is rarely met. Ebay is great for selling certain things, but not others. Try going to Munich Legends and buying a used 635 for Ebay money.

Edited by phb10186

1998 Z3 2.8i
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 23:42

.....The problem with the 6 series has always been the parts prices....

1 new expansion tank ....*tick*

2 brake pressure sensor switches.....*tick*

1 lorryload of suspension parts....*tick*

1 set of new tyres.....

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phb10186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 14:34
One happy Mr. Tan when its done.... *Hopefully tick*

1998 Z3 2.8i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic