Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
^^^ what’s going on???!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2006 at 14:42

Hi Mick  i'm friendly    

I used to have 2 x 200sx's -  S13s - they're great cars

(p.s. i've got a de-cat on my M3 and it passed the mot no bother)

Sponsored Links

hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 10:18

Taking up on sleepers reply

1993 cars on are required by law to have emissions to a certain level. This has best been achieved by fitting cats.

For an MOT or a roadside emissions check, so long as the vehicle limits are below what is required by law then it will pass.

Roadside inspections can be challenged because unless your car is fully warmed and the ambient temperature above 5deg then the results will be invalid. Other factors also affect the reading eg a windy day. In the workshop for the MOT it is a controlled environment and more accurate at obtaining the MOT standards.

I had a guy ask me about roadsie checks once and when I told him all the variables he was astonished. Turned out he was a local magistrate and was getting these things in his court. Said he would admonish all he saw. That was 5yrs ago now but still the variables are there.

A cat missing in itself is NOT an MOT fail.

I had an old 1984 525e with 150k on the clock and it would pass a cat MOT test, no problem.

The cat takes about 10% power absorbtion so taking the thing off definitely releases more horses.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 10:59
Interesting reply Mike! Good to see you online
Ady530i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady530i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 11:17

ive got a 1991 j reg e36 with a cat fitted and i told last year by mot station that cats not mandatory until 1993.

ady   

Edited by ady320ise

93 (K) E34 530i V8, Granite silver, black leather, a/c, 18" M-Para's, clear indicators, s/s exhaust, angels, black grille
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 14:34

Mandatory on new cars sold but after that it is only the emissions that are checked - there is no check for a cat - a missing cat does not fail the MOT.

Even after 93 there were some cars that were sold with only two stage cats and not the three we have now. Mostly these were old stock vehicles such as Metro's, so no longer a problem

There is a piece in non cat testing that allows the car to be revved to 2000rpm if the CO is fine but the HCs aren't. This was introduced to get the BMC A series engine through the MOT.

No wonder the Bristish motor industry is n the state it is!!!

steeldonkey View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2006 at 14:59

right, this is daft, for a "senior" member to come in on a thread and attack some one, is crap.

i drive a bm on the road, but i also track an old mk2 golf...why because its so hard to get good bm track parts.

additionally cat are post 93 only so any one with a pre 93 car can do what they damb well like with there cat, like my car a late 93 model, additionally i fitted it and found that there was a noticable improvment. i only no longer have it as i got a full s/s system at a knockdown price.

so senior member as far as i am concerned you can take your abuse and shove it up your exhaust till it hits your manifold. you re-mould buying tool.

Best of luck Andy, dont give up on us! most of us are really nice people.

cheers

The //M3 fault rectification Manual
The hammer will fit it
The hammer will fix it
The hammer will make aftermarket parts fit
The hammer is my tool kit
RESPECT THE HAMMER
Big Red View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2006 at 17:24

As steeldonkey replied above, 1993 onwards, (k reg) are fitted with a cat and will be running a closed loop management system.

Before k reg and you can do whatever you like with the cat if one is fitted.

If you remove the cat on a 1993> car, this is not a reason for an mot failure, but it will fail because it will not meet the requirements to pass the emissions test.

A car with a closed loop engine management system in good working order will only be able to lower co limit to around 0.5.

It is then the job of the cat once it is up to temp and lit to burn of the excess gases and reduce the co to below 0.3.

If the cat is knackered or removed, the lowest you can expect is about 0.5 and therefore a fail.

Gordon

If it isn't broken, Don't try to fix it.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 10:42
I thought this thread was dead & buried but it appears not.

Originally posted by steeldonkey steeldonkey wrote:

right, this is daft, for a "senior" member to come in on a thread and attack some one, is crap.

I take it this is directed at me? Why does the number of posts I've made have a bearing on the issue? Wind your neck in "junior".

any one with a pre 93 car can do what they damb well like with there cat

Indeed, owners of such cars can "do what they damn well like with their cat". For later cars, a cat is a legal requirement.

so senior member as far as i am concerned you can take your abuse and shove it up your exhaust till it hits your manifold.

Hmm, very succinct. Ignoring the actual facts raised in this thread, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I've expressed mine, you've expressed yours (such as they are). Whilst you can disagree with opinions, the facts are harder to ignore.

I notice you still have not addressed the legality of a post '93 car without a cat.

you re-mould buying tool.

Never bought remoulds in my life. I assume this childish name-calling is some form of insult? Grow up kid.

Your command of the English language & creative use of punctuation was rather amusing but it was your username that really made me laugh. Steel Donkey? You've chosen a very apt name for yourself. Apologies to donkeys everywhere.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 11:00
Play nice folks. Thread was actually getting interesting with Mike's input. Don't want to lock it away...
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 13:27

ok, I've got away with it so far, and both non-cat MOT's I've had have passed the emissions fine.

I'd probably get clobbered on a roadside tho' so Ill be keeping my head down!

Anyone been checked for emissions/cat on a roadside? I've not seen one as yet but heard of them....

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 13:29
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Anyone been checked for emissions/cat on a roadside? I've not seen one as yet but heard of them...

I wasn't aware private vehicle were subject to random checks?
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 13:37

neither was I until I read a posted reply on the old/new(?!?) forum - can't remember who or where or when tho'!!!!

I believe they are similar to the commercial checks done by the VOSA & old bill.

As this is important to me (and others no doubt) it would be good to have confirmation on if they are being done & what checks are made.

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 17:41
Can't speak for CAT checks but i have had emissions checked on car and van in scotland.

Although if your car passes an emissions check for the MOT then i would imagine it would pass a road side check

VOSA info

Edited by jamsieboi

hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 18:04

Randomn checks can be conducted by VOSA or the ploice, but mainly VOSA. The local authorities also have the power to carry out spot checks on emissions and VOSA have trained a number of authorities in the procedure.

ANY vehicle can be inspected by VOSA be it for emissions or for roadworthyness check. In Scotland the police are needed to stop the vehicles but in Englandshire VOSA have the powers to stop as well as the police.They use the Ford Galaxy vehicles.

The standards are the same for the roadside as they are for the MOT. And that brings me back to the issues of the variations that can happen at the roadside.

Plus I agree and have siad that a missing CAT is NOT a fail but it may fail on the emissions. It doesn't necessarliy mean it will, depending on the tuning of the engine and its mapping. Like I said before I could get a B plate 525e with 150k on the clock to pass a CAT MOT standard and that was definitely a non cat engine.

Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 15:14

hey all

regarding the insurance issue, as to if an insurance company would invailidate your claim, the insurer would only be able to refuse your claim if the modification could be proved to have influenced the accident, eg you would have to have an accident that would be attributed to the inappropriate use of speed for it to be refused and even then it would have to be due to the affore mentioned mod, so in short very tricky and it would be hard for the company to refuse.

Edited by Webdunk
The //M3 fault rectification Manual
The hammer will fit it
The hammer will fix it
The hammer will make aftermarket parts fit
The hammer is my tool kit
RESPECT THE HAMMER
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:36
steeldonkey

I was led to believe that your policy would be invalidated by any modification that was not declared.

Also the way insurance companies seem to act these days im sure they would find some way of linking the modification to the accident.

Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:44

Hey

well my old man is a loss adjuster and im just going off what he has told me, but as you say if you start fighting on technicalities you will probably loose, however insureses do state that "speed in itself is not dangerous"

cheers

donk

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:52
They may not get away with not paying out but you would have to fight them on it. They would claim that because the vehicle had been modified and they had not been informed then the policy had been invalidated. If you check your insurance documentation you will see that there is a clause that states' failure to disclose any modifications to the vehicle will result in the policy being invalidated' or words to that effect. In all likelyhood the insurance ombudsman may well force them to pay up but not without a fight.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:54
just had a think and yes it did hurt!!

the police can pull you over ask to see your insurance documents and if you do not have the modifications listed they report you to your insurance company. So i would imagine if the police say you shouldn't be driving it then the insurance company will use that against you.

i have only seen this done once tho and the guys car was heavily modified.

just my thoughts don't know for sure

Edited by jamsieboi

Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:00

yup 100% agreement with above, i was simply saying that a non declaration does not automatically invalidate your policy, it certainly wont help and i am not for one second advising it.

now where's that bus queue.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic