Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decats
    Posted: 14-July-2006 at 23:04
Does anyone have a decat on their car? Just wondered how many cars have had it done and if it was a usual mod? Reason I ask is that I have been making decats for Nissan 200SX's for a few years now (I used to own one) and was thinking if demand was high enough that I caould make them for BMW's too? I'm guessing that this would generally apply to older models as it would presumably invalidate any remaining dealer warrenty? (Couldn't really fit one to my car for that reason).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Mick.

Sponsored Links

shaft View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2006 at 13:20
I use supersprint decat pipe on my 318is only 40 quid.
mickstreet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2006 at 00:19

Oh right, you wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I'm pretty sure I could do tem for less than that if the demand was there.

Cheers Mick.

blackworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 15:45
shaft,iam interested in pics,is it on a e46?does it have sensors either side?how did you overcome it?

ta.
coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 16:11
If it was 40 quid or less i would be interested in one!!!
HeatHy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatHy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 20:52
Originally posted by coupe king coupe king wrote:

If it was 40 quid or less i would be interested in one!!!

Same here
shaft View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 21:05
If you got sensors either side of cat, You can not use one. As 2nd sensors monitors gas out of cat to check 1st sensors working correctly. Your engine light would come on.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2006 at 18:38

Thanks for the replies guys, guess there isn't as much interest as I thought there would be.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 00:49
Does it not mean you'll fail your MOT?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 17:23

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

You more than likely would fail an MOT with a decat fitted. On the 200sx it was quite an easy job to swap the original cat back in for MOT time then swap it back after. Not sure what it would be like on a BMW? Anyway, they would be sold for "track use only".

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 18:12
i couldnt have one.

been pulled three times this week for an emissions check

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 18:37
Exactly Jamsie. They are illegal for use on the public highway.

In other words it's a bit of usless junk that's likely to get you a fine as well as lightnening your wallet for something of little value anyway.

The seller of this "snake oil" is relying on buyers believing they need this bit of kit to "improve" their car.

If you want the few extra hp that a decat & the associated rechip may give you just buy a more powerful car!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 23:16

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Exactly Jamsie. They are illegal for use on the public highway.

In other words it's a bit of usless junk that's likely to get you a fine as well as lightnening your wallet for something of little value anyway.

The seller of this "snake oil" is relying on buyers believing they need this bit of kit to "improve" their car.

If you want the few extra hp that a decat & the associated rechip may give you just buy a more powerful car!

Thanks for your opinions....

It would be nice if you had seen one of these "pieces of junk" before making your comments though. I have sold MANY of these to SX owners, whose cars WILL see around 15-20 bhp increase, I admit that it wouldn't be as high as this in a BMW as they don't have a turbo on them. I haven't made any false claims as to what they will do to improve your car nor have I said that they are legal, to the contrary I have just stated that your car WONT pass an MOT with one and they are for off road / track use only. I would appreciate it if you could have at least contacted me before making comments such as this. Oh, and I had one fitted to my Nissan for over 3 years without any problems...

I was hoping that if there was enough interest I could do them at a reduced rate for club members then also sell on ebay.

Guess this forum isn't as friendly as some others I have been on (non BMW), don't feel to have been made welcome at all.

Thanks Mick

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 12:36
Originally posted by mickstreet mickstreet wrote:

You more than likely would fail an MOT with a decat fitted. On the 200sx it was quite an easy job to swap the original cat back in for MOT time then swap it back after. Not sure what it would be like on a BMW? Anyway, they would be sold for "track use only".

The tone of your post is quite clear, run around with a decat & only put the cat back in to pass the mot. So the car is illegal for road use.

Not only does this leave the owner open to prosecution, it could well invalidate their insurance unless they tell their insurance company (& who's going to do that when they've just made their car illegal). That affects other people if there's an accident. I for one don't want to find myself trying to claim against some chav boyracer who suddenly finds his insurance cancelled because he wanted another few bhp.

This is a friendly forum but you didn't come on to make friends. You came on to flog stuff. Big difference.

You claim a 15-20bhp increase on a 200bhp SX but admit it may well be lower on a BMW. Let's be honest here, you haven't a clue what, if any, difference it will make on any BMW. No R & D, no research of any kind except to see how much you could flog a metal tube filled with wire wool or whatever.

Whilst a decat may have a place on a proper competition car where performance is measured against a stopwatch or other competitors, on the public road or on a track day it's pointless.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

The tone of your post is quite clear, run around with a decat & only put the cat back in to pass the mot. So the car is illegal for road use.

Not only does this leave the owner open to prosecution, it could well invalidate their insurance unless they tell their insurance company (& who's going to do that when they've just made their car illegal). That affects other people if there's an accident. I for one don't want to find myself trying to claim against some chav boyracer who suddenly finds his insurance cancelled because he wanted another few bhp.

This is a friendly forum but you didn't come on to make friends. You came on to flog stuff. Big difference.

You claim a 15-20bhp increase on a 200bhp SX but admit it may well be lower on a BMW. Let's be honest here, you haven't a clue what, if any, difference it will make on any BMW. No R & D, no research of any kind except to see how much you could flog a metal tube filled with wire wool or whatever.

Whilst a decat may have a place on a proper competition car where performance is measured against a stopwatch or other competitors, on the public road or on a track day it's pointless.

Thank you for your comments.

I have been a member on the SXOC website for a number of years and have made many friends. Due to family reasons I sold my Nissan and bought an E46 330 touring. Naturally I joined the BMW OC as I had with my 200sx. I DIDNT come here to "flog" stuff, I joined to take part in discussions on the forum, attend meets and hopefully given time to give advice and receive advice when I required it. I really don't see how you can make judgements against me when you don't even know me? Guess its a case of "my post count is higher than yours...."

Anyway, I really don't want this to turn into a slanging match so mods, as I started this post, feel free to close it. If there are any other replies I won't reply back.

Oh, I also won't be making any "illegal, useless, and pointless" decats (but I suppose you guessed that already).

Thanks Mick.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 13:34

Ah... that's what I thought - although I thought for certain older motors (pre 1970-something?) when cats weren't a legal requirement, this could be OK? I think Supersprint make a pipe which does show gains and adds a little something to the sound...

@jamesboi - if the car's properly set up then I don't think the emissions are a prob. How come you're getting so many pulls tho? You been noising up the polis?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 13:42

Ah... that's what I thought - although I thought for certain older motors (pre 1970-something?) when cats weren't a legal requirement, this could be OK? I think Supersprint make a pipe which does show gains and adds a little something to the sound...

@jamesboi - if the car's properly set up then I don't think the emissions are a prob. How come you're getting so many pulls tho? You been noising up the polis?

Hi, Pretty sure it around G/H reg that cats came into force. That would make it about 1990?

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 13:49
I think it was 1990 they introduced them. i would have thought a de-cat would effect your emmissions i know you can get sports-cats don't know if this is what mick is talking about.

@webdunk - well i didn't have the sence to drive a different road that they were on. so i got pulled twice at the same point on the same day. Once in the van, once in the car!

you would think i would learn

then i got pulled in a england so perhaps i just have a look about me.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 13:55
Originally posted by jamsieboi jamsieboi wrote:

i would have thought a de-cat would effect your emmissions i know you can get sports-cats

The decat DOES affect your emissions... it just doesn't neccessarily mean you'll fail.

Sports cats are a bit pricey from what I've seen.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2006 at 16:56

cats are mandatory on volume production vehicles from aug '91 onward - J reg +.

If your lambda sensor is working correctly, you should pass the emissions test without a cat fitted (chipping etc. could alter the mixtures but unlikely as changes are ususally made 1500-2000rpm onwards.).

To be honest I think that some of you are being a bit harsh on Mick. What he is doing is what enterprise is all about, getting of your backside and doing something for yourself. There are plenty of others doing similar and he is being fully open about the legality of his products (although you should know the law here mick!), and the gains he states are true.

However! turbos do best by a long way, nearly all benefit from this. NA engines are a mixed bag - volvo 5 pots seem to be the best here IMO. My 323 gained a little - most notably right at the top of the rev-range 5.5k+, and a bit 'raspy' in sound.

So after that little lot, good on yer mick, pat on the back and good luck. Others, lightenup - he is a newbie after all!

Cheers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic