Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big Coupé Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour chance to own....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your chance to own....
    Posted: 16-July-2006 at 22:53

...an original Alpina B9 coupe....

Comes with its own MoT failure sheet and long list of welding jobs needed

Note to Brucey: this car is so you. It's even in your favourite colour!

Edited by Horsetan

Sponsored Links

popeye76s View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popeye76s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2006 at 23:03

From the welding required to it you might be better offering it to Fred Flintstone!!!

popeye

Better to have loved and lost, than to be stuck with the psycho for the rest of your life!

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 12:31
Why get it resprayed when the money could have be used to get some of welding done and the price tag  you prob spend that again fixing it up
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 18:13
Originally posted by Bigian Bigian wrote:

Why get it resprayed when the money could have be used to get some of welding done....

To make it look nice and shiny and entice someone to pay the asking price without looking too much further??

Originally posted by Bigian Bigian wrote:

the price tag  you prob spend that again fixing it up

Once you get to the stage that the floors, sills and inners need repairing, the wings must either have been done or need doing.  In the same way that there used to be only two types of MGB - those with sills done and those with sills needing doing, there are now only two types of six - wings replaced or wings needing replaced.  On the basis that there's no mention of them being done in the advert and the photos (carefully?) don't show them, I think we can assume they and probably the inners too, need done.

Looking at the list of work that he's admitting to and knowing what you're likely to find once you start - I can send you photos of my outwardly respectable and apparently unmolested '89 car disassembled if you're of a strong disposition - while you might get it MoT'd for the asking price, I doubt you'd get much change out of £7500 to do it all *properly*.  Add that to the asking price and while this is a very rare and desireable car, it must be border line unless you have the necessary bodywork and fabrication skills (no sill panels being available) to do it yourself.  I've seen a very tidy, but not perfect '89 car and its £10,000 body restoration bills and I'm scared to count what mine is costing at the moment, so lovely car though it could be, it's likely to remain unsold at that price in my view. 

At least he hasn't "fannied" it through an M.o.T. in order to sell it and it appears honestly enough described.
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 18:17

doesn't really float my boat to be honest. Not when it is that rotten...

especially not when it is that money.... blimey.... he's having a laugh isn't he??

Right now on Cambridge there is a very clean early 1987 635CSi manual for 3500GBP on autotrader (no affiliation). This has improved brakes over earlier models and if its the one I'm thinking of it has been cherished, not allowed to corrode horribly. Better value, even with the horrible metric wheels fitted.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 21:43
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

doesn't really float my boat to be honest. Not when it is that rotten...

especially not when it is that money.... blimey.... he's having a laugh isn't he??

Now that is what I hoped you'd notice......

Quote Right now on Cambridge there is a very clean early 1987 635CSi manual for 3500GBP on autotrader (no affiliation). This has improved brakes over earlier models and if its the one I'm thinking of it has been cherished, not allowed to corrode horribly. Better value, even with the horrible metric wheels fitted.....

Is that the zinnobar red one which I passed going the other way after the "rolling road" morning when I went into Cambridge to collect a racing saddle? The car was festooned with club/RAC/AA badges on the front, and there was - and I'm totally serious about this - an oul fella in a flat cap piloting it. In the brief moment that it took me to drive by, it looked absolutely spotless.

He actually did a double-take when he saw me going the other way!!

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

It must have been that hat!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 22:38
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

I've seen a very tidy, but not perfect '89 car and its £10,000 body restoration bills and I'm scared to count what mine is costing at the moment

That's the trouble with the Six - restoration costs far out-weigh the finished articles value. The E9 CS coupe is in a similar position.

MG's & the like are constantly being restored because you can get every last item fairly cheaply & when it's all done at least you'll be guaranteed a decent return on your investment. With a Six you can spend a fortune bringing it up to scatch but when you try to sell it people don't want to spend more than £5000 for a "mint" example.

I've just found myself approaching the "New Wings or Repair" crossroads & I'm trying to be philosophical about it but it must be very disheartening to be faced with a £1200+ bill when your car's only worth £3000.

AndyS

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 22:49

"The car has been off the road, and stored indoors for the past 8 years and could do with some TLC to bring it back up the best condition" chuckle-chuckle - he ain't kidding!!

but.........someone will buy it as a 'project', or we'll see the badges on ebay soon

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 22:50

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

It must have been that hat!

You're not going to drop this, are you?

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2006 at 12:04

Once you have your car done you will have a thing of beauty and you will love driving and be proud off.

BUT WILL it be worth the cost time and labour at the end of the day.For that sort of money you can get an almost new car.

Then again it is down to the individual for the devotion and wanting to get a classic back on the road.

I actual like that shape of car and later in life would consider 1

Edited by Bigian
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2006 at 18:10

It probably is the one you saw, Ivan.

But the Alpina? I mean what are you buying?

I reckon its

about £300 quids worth of MOT failed old BMW

about £500 worth of tuning goodies (that might not be any good any more)

some wheels, £??

-some badges, £??

how does this come to £3500???

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Jimbob View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 08:41
Yep, I'm with you there - Most valuable parts of the whole pile are the wheels.
And so says Jimbob.
1981 635csi 81k miles. Will be fixed, but not by me.
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2006 at 12:14

People always ask me re my csl "Where can I get a set of those wheels?" - here's where! (Almost, as they are the later version with the flat centre disc).

I think it is really sad, but this beautiful car is, commercially speaking, a breaker.  Decent wheels, nice interior and the Alpina bits.  As i recall we're talking ported head, different cam and ECU and a nice manifold.  At that mileage it would probably need the head rebuilt in any case, but at least you have it all there to start with.  Otherwise, it's a bag of trouble.  If you can weld and paint yourself, then the parts wouldn't be too daunting, but that excludes most of us I'm afraid.

I remember at the beginning of the 80's there were CS coupes all over the place for peanuts. These are cars which have slipped from the dizzy heights where they started out, and are now just classy bangers which cost a lot to get right.  I am afraid that we will just keep losing them to scrap till there are few enough to match the number of real enthusiasts who really want one, and don't need to feel there is necessarily a financial gain at the end of the tunnel.  Sadly, that is a long way off yet.

I reckon this car would be fine in a "reverse auction", starting at 3500 and ending around 1500, but as it stands, common sense would say he's up for a disappointment.

You've got to admit though, a bit like the soft focus pics that frumps submit to dating agencies, the car does look nice in those eBay pictures!  How would you feel the next morning though?

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2006 at 14:53
I agree with Sam, one day people will fight over the bones of dead 6-series but not yet.

It's a rare Six that cracks the £10k mark (outside of Munich Legends) but there are any number of Triumph Stags over that figure. Now while I'm a fan of the Stag there's no way it should be worth so much more than a Six (please, no arguments about the Stags shortcomings) unless you really value the convertible aspect of them.

The fact is that very few Stags are scrapped these days. They are always worth the investment of time & money. The Alpina needs new floors & some other welding - not that expensive or big a job. The big money will go on new wings (if needed) & the exhaust, neither of which give much scope for cost cutting.

I see the Alpina didn't attract any bids at all. I think the guy was putting a lot of store in the B9 tag.

Whenever I see Sam's signature pic of his CSL I want to sign up for a welding course to restore my own!

AndyS

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2006 at 16:11

I agree with you there Andy, think Sams CSL is stunning!! Last time I saw one was at Donnington in 2003 and would love to see another one in the flesh again!

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2006 at 18:25

.....(please, no arguments about the Stags shortcomings)....

Triumph, 3-litre V8, overheating... hahahahahahahaha

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2006 at 22:10

.....(please, no arguments about the Stags shortcomings)....

Triumph, 3-litre V8, overheating... hahahahahahahaha

BMW M20 overheating, cracked heads

BMW M30 overheating, cracked heads

BMW M40 cambelt & cam

BMW M52, M60 Nikasil

BMW S50 Vanos etc. etc.

We all have a cross to bear . . .

AndyS

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2006 at 09:37

You're absolutely right re the various crosses.  You could add those stupid plastic water pump impellers on later engines too.  Truth is though that most general overheating and head gasket problems on the M20 & M30 go back to people skimping on service and using poor antifreeze and not changing it regularly enough. 

I know Nikasil was a bit of an own goal, but there is even thar argument surfacing now that Vanos problems can be greatly reduced by simply replacing various small parts prior to failure/blocking.

The thing is, if these were Ferraris, people would be prepared and wouldn't bat an eyelid at horrendous rebuild costs every few years or 25,000 miles.  The fact that they are "just" BMWs makes some people think they'll be fine for ever, and can be run on supermarket oil & antifreeze, changed every 3 years, whether it needs it or not.  Buy that used car a few years down the line, and the damage is already done.

BTW, I am going to be at Gaydon, and if I can talk my wife into coming and driving one of the cars, I'll be in the CSL and the Z1 - if not, I think the CSL shades it, so you can all check it out up close then.  As with most things, the signature pic hides a multitude of sins!

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2006 at 11:03
I intend to be at Gaydon too on the (Real) North East stand.

See you there.
AndyS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic