Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE24 rolling road session on Totalbmw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E24 rolling road session on Totalbmw
    Posted: 19-July-2006 at 10:33

Hi!

I read with a lot of interest the rolling road session on TotalBMw magazine...

As i saw the low power figures , I booked here in Italy a private session for my 1983 635(75k miles)...I hope it will be good, as now everything in engine bay was changed(I still have the original block , no big repair but 6k miles oil/fitlers change, 6-8k miles valvejob ,no rebuilds) ...and the fuel injection system is completely new except the AFM(removed from a smashed 535 E28 ,52k kms VS 120k kms of my car, the owner was one of my pub's mate...), even if it seems to work properly.

Everything is standard....I hope the engine figure will be close to what BMW said a lot of years ago....

Francesco from Italy

PS:I saw your cars,they are really good on photos!!!!

Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2006 at 12:44
Hi Francesco!

It's been a while, was wondering where you'd got to.

As for the rolling road results - sometimes ignorance is bliss! You don't miss what you haven't got until you know you haven't got it!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2006 at 13:40

Hi!

I'm always busy,My spare time(always given up to my 635) is continously given up to my job....I really confess I am happy to have loads of business.....

Anyway, I believe my car is not in up-to-spec conditions...Or perhaps my car is right and i just need more Bhp...

If i 'm right , i saw also your car on ttalbmw mag....Gorgeous inside , outside and in between.....

Francesco...

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by siscobmw siscobmw wrote:

Hi!

I read with a lot of interest the rolling road session on TotalBMw magazine...

As i saw the low power figures....

most of the cars present were autos, with only two manuals. Getting an accurate bhp figure out of an auto on an inertial dyno is very nearly impossible, (and the reasons for this are complex- see the link in the 'chip tuned' thread).

Anyway, take the 'low power figures' with a very big pinch of salt....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 09:48

Ok....I thought that power figures were influenced by auto gearboxes...amd By a slack throttle cable on a m635!

Anyway I 've been always coruios about power figures of my car..I keep You infrmed anyway...

Francesco

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 11:00

NExt tuesday I will take the car for this private rolling road session....

I expect (I hope )everything over 200 bhp at flywheel...

Francesco from Italy

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2006 at 15:51

HEllo!

Just had my rolling road session! I got 219,3 BHP (with DIN 70020 correction, I believe this is the normal procedure ) flywheel at 5320 rpm from my car, a little hole between 4200 and 4500 rpm," probably the ecu here change something in ignition timing or mixture is chocking the engine", is what my rolling road man told me.

Anyway he told me that the car had bed valve job , as he could hear 3-4 valves louder than the others...This colud have influenced a bit the engine performance.Then he reckons the clutch needed a look before this session, although the car behaved very well.

Torque a little down  but very regular along the rpm range:29,9 kgm at 4100rpm...

Tomorrow I hope to have the time to post here a picture of the dyno-diagram !

Francesco From Italy

PS: today the outer temperature was 28°C (garage was colder at 21°C)and 1018 mBar of pressure...the moisture is really high!

Edited by siscobmw
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by siscobmw siscobmw wrote:

with DIN 70020 correction, I believe this is the normal procedure

-not at all rolling roads.... not over here...

-good bhp result though, your car can't be too  bad...

BTW slightly noisy valve clearances is better than too quiet (can burn out valve seats), although it can mean the camshaft lubrication problem is rearing its ugly head...

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 07:56

Results of rolling road session are doped, as I usually fill up with Shell V-Power unleaded(100 octane) and a sobsitute of lead(precaution).

The valve noise depends partly from the DIY adjustment (not too professional ..) or maybe from the too thin oli I used(Castrol RS 10W60)....The cam is on good health, and the banjo bolts were changed years ago...

Francesco

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sohlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 12:16

If the run was done with 100 octane fuel and most of the UK cars were on 95 that will make around a 10bhp difference.

Good power figure mind you and in warmer conditions then our runs.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 13:14

My scanner had lost the will to go, today, tomorrow I hope to make it work....Tomorrow I will scan and post the data sheet ...

Anyway, here in Italy every petrol brand has 98 octane petrol...Or 100 in the Shell stations.

With "old " 95 octane the engine was noticeably lazy, compared to the throttle response I have now...

Francesco

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 16:44
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

....Good power figure mind you and in warmer conditions then our runs....

Hehehe....and without any expensive engine modifications

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 18:06

YEs...only good 12V battery and 100 octane fuel...

ROLLING ROAD ,SESSION 2:

My friend went with me for his private session on his m635CSi...

It was stinking rich at every point of the revcounter....229bhp at flywheel....(and the  car is well pampered, is kept in top condition since he rolled out from the dealer, despite costs).Then he thought to use his spare ECu in the glovebox, as he's afraid one day of lying  in the middle of an highway for  this fault...

With the other one ECU he arrived at 278bhp(flywheel) at 6310rpm ,good!!!!considering that since 1985 the car has only 46k kms...

Now I bear in mind : if I i used my  spare #011 ECU?

Does an other ECU make this difference????

Francesco

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 18:31
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

Good power figure mind you and in warmer conditions then our runs.

The DIN standard has a temperature correction in it that normalises power output vs air temperature. On a day 30C temperature a 210 bhp reading at the crank might be normalised back to (say) 225bhp according to the DIN standard. Likewise  225bhp in cold weather is really a good bit less when normalised via DIN.

Oh, and I don't think a different ECU will just make your car go better (much) unless the old one was either faulty or wrong for your engine spec.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscobmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2006 at 21:55

I think that he had got a oxidated ECU on his car....46k Kms in 21 years means that You can find a a lot of mildew, bacteria....on every printed circuits...Anyway a quick ECu swap made a little miracle.I thought he was joking, but the reality is that...

Francesco

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic