Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’85 320i COUPE LHD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’85 320i COUPE LHD
    Posted: 19-September-2003 at 13:23

Been given a 1985 B reg BMW 320I coupe (Free), off a mate who brought it back from Germany 2 years ago. It's not the old type it's one of the early new types i.e. '85>'92. It's a left hooker and currently on a german plate. Excellent body work, interior needs a clean and the straight 6 engine starts first time. Now for free, i reckon the worst that can happen is that if nobody wants to buy it off me, I can sell it for parts.

Problem is...... It's been stood in a garage for a year. Regurlarly started, but not moved, just left in neutral and hand-brake off. Clutch and flywheel/drive plate seemed to have stuck together. Clutch pedal works but can't select a gear. I've been told to start it in gear with back wheels jacked up, then, to press clutch and apply the brakes, which should free it off. Otherwise i'll have to dismantle clutch and free it. Any other ways of solving this problem? Would towing it in gear be wise to free it etc? And, anybody else any experience of these 320I's and there problems? Cheers

STEVE 

Sponsored Links

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2003 at 16:32
not with a bm but with a land rover.  Found the best way was as you have been told, build up some speed whilst its jacked up and then dip the clutch and brake hard.  Not worth taking it apart.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
STEVIE B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2003 at 18:17
Oh what fun!!!!!

Jacked up rear of car, started it in first, then tried dropping clutch and braking, did it several times, --didn't work.

Took car on road, with trolley jack under rear diff, and a mate ready in place to drop it, started it first, got some decent revs up and signalled him to drop jack, wheel spun away, got it in second then third, then slowed down and tried dropping clutch and braking hard in all 3 gears. Result, --didn't work.

Car is fine, moves well, and brakes well, just need to get this clutch sorted.

Anyone know whether it's Cable or hydraulic? Think it's cable, but can't see Jack Sh*t underneath. Doesn't feel likes it's snapped, but possible i suppose. Either that or the clutch plate is really welded on. Help Please.......
autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2003 at 01:05

Hi Steve,

Sometimes these can get really welded together and the only way is to strip it.

Before you do, take it out and drive it in first with the clutch down. Accelerate it hard, let it off, then hard on again. Really make the car jump and buck. The harder the better. This way you are useing the weight of the car.

Good luck,

Alan.

STEVIE B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2003 at 15:00

Alan, thanks for reply.  Yeah tried this already, but i'm gonna try it again.  Seems only way to do.  Tell me, what kind of job is it to strip it?  Is it worth it, and how long would it take.  Once stripped, how do you separate plates?

Thanks for ya help mate.

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2003 at 17:55
Its not cable mate, its not to bad you can just drop the box off underneath but you need some good ramps to get it up high enough. 

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 01:01

Hi,

If you are doing this, on your back and for the first time, then it could take anything from 4 hours upwards.

You will be amazed how easily the disk will seperate from the pressure plate.

HTH

Alan.

STEVIE B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 19:28

Mmmm, well i've got a pit in my garage (just gotta clear the garage out- Ha Ha), so access not too bad, not done much work on gearboxes or clutches before, but as a mechanic, i normally attempt most things.  Suppose a Haynes manual and a full days work on a saturday should cure the problem.  Reckon clutch plate will be ok after it being stuck?  Still usable, or is it just a case of wait and see?

Paul, the car is identical to yours, Metallic Diamond-Black yeah? It's the same wheels too, but got the older style rear lights.  You've a nice motor there mate, well done.

Thanks, Steve.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic