FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked12 or 24v

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 or 24v
    Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by NOISUFNOC NOISUFNOC wrote:

If it were me id go for a 525 m50 engined car, the 520 24 valve really has to be worked to get any power from it, the 525 is about right

It's a "detuned" 2.5 in mine because it's an import, and maybe because it's an est it has to me "worked" when going uphill, the first I noticed this was coming back from Ayr on the 77 back to Clarky. I'd be sitting comfy about 70ish then it would go down to about 55-60 within second's...a right pita ...

My old 525's didnt do this!!

Edited by bm24v
Sponsored Links

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 09:55

Yea I know what you mean about having to "work it".....but it's like most 16/24v engine's there designed for most/all their power up top, where as your's (or any 8/12v) is power/torquier from the word go.

Iv'e noticed this even with old cav's Iv'e had before, when I had an 2.0 8v then the "red top" 16v the wee 8v deff had more grunt all the way.

It was just when I was talking to Davy about my engine on Tues when I up and he said it's generally a good engine (but like you say too) there soft and then there's the vanos/twin vanos thing's to go wrong and they usually cost a bl 00 dy furtune to put right.

Y'see personally Iv'e never had any problem's with the 24v lump before but Iv'e never had the 12v either so I dont what there like day to day running. Maybe I should try a 12v model and see what I think. 

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 07:41

If it were me id go for a 525 m50 engined car, the 520 24 valve really has to be worked to get any power from it, the 525 is about right and the 535 likes a drink too much if your using it a lot.

if it were an estate it would have to be a bigger engine.  The more horror stories i hear about the e39 engines being soft and once the heads need done the bolts pulling out the block is putting me off. 

Theres a cple of blokes on here who have had to source new engines because of a head gasket.

If your not doing monster miles id go for a 540 e34.

528 for now
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:32
What would you go for John?....then again we know what you have so I guess that say's it all..
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:20

M30 for ease to work on

M50 for smoothness

528 for now
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 21:07
lol...
swordfish_bite View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Its all in the genes !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfish_bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 19:21

one that goes ..

www.westcoastcrew.co.uk

Bmw 525i Sport - 24v m50 192bhp(so far)
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 16:40

The M30, no question.  Reliable, durable and easy to maintain.

And it effectively comes with 12 or 24 valves, normally aspirated or two turbos.  (But I'm a bit biased 'cause I've got three different versions of it) 

Edited by Chas C
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 16:25
What's the best engine in you honest opinion's...I dont suppose it matter's if it's a 3, 5 or 7 ser..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic