Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Website Forum > Website Announcements & Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW car club forum up and running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:28
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

I thought the club didn't have track days, but had better driving days!
We are the foremost one marque club still running 'trackdays' for our members.. we set the format that just about every commercial trackday operator has followed.. our first trackday was over 20 years ago and we are still at it. It was a big mistake to change the name and soften the impact.. we have now adressed the insurance issue and can call them what we like.. BDD's are dead.. long live the trackday! Nick
So we have to be a member to come and play at your trackdays?
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:29
Originally posted by NOISUFNOC NOISUFNOC wrote:

Well you do get a free signed photo of Jeff when you join as well.
Do you get the free set of darts as well?

But don't care.
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Nope.. never had.
If I think you will be an asset to the day then you are welcome.
Nick
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:38

Oh, good - I was a bit confused because you wrote: -

We are the foremost one marque club still running 'trackdays' for our members..

So members of what/who exactly?

But don't care.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:51
The idea of telling someone your password up front is just wrong.  Working in IT, the message we drill in to users is to never share your password.  I won't be registering any time soon!
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:53
Yes.. its still predominantly for members of the BMWCC.. the mix is about 80/20.. and I always favour members when it comes to bookings.. the economics of running a trackday in the north east dictates that you have to go outside your club to mop up the last few places.
Mine is about the only trackday you will ever go to where every entrant is briefed by the organiser (me) before the booking is taken.
I get a better price at Croft because of our club status.. the commercial operators pay more.

Over the last decade I like to think that I have got a good regular crew.. regulars account for more than 70% of the entry.. I like to do things my way and be in control.. like I said, if you are the right sort you are welcome.

Nick
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 22:58
I think it's a way to stop people using others membership names and numbers. Also they are doing it so they can verify that whoever is registering on their forum is a club member as they will check your name and club number + password against the password you give them. The password won't be used to access the forum I think its just a one off use - you use your own login for that.

Bit double dutch but I know what I meen
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 23:00

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

The idea of telling someone your password up front is just wrong.  Working in IT, the message we drill in to users is to never share your password. 

No problem - just set it to P4ssword - no-one will ever guess that

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 23:03

Yes.. its still predominantly for members of the BMWCC.. the mix is about 80/20.. and I always favour members when it comes to bookings.. Over the last decade I like to think that I have got a good regular crew.. regulars account for more than 70% of the entry.. I like to do things my way and be in control.. like I said, if you are the right sort you are welcome. Nick

Nick, I know it's a success, and I'm not here to knock it, but.....

could you elucidate more on "the right sort" please  

But don't care.
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 23:21

Yes.. its still predominantly for members of the BMWCC.. the mix is about 80/20.. and I always favour members when it comes to bookings.. Over the last decade I like to think that I have got a good regular crew.. regulars account for more than 70% of the entry.. I like to do things my way and be in control.. like I said, if you are the right sort you are welcome. Nick

Nick, I know it's a success, and I'm not here to knock it, but.....

could you elucidate more on "the right sort" please

Well thats dificult to quantify.. I use my gut instinct.. I don't want you thinking of gentlemans clubs and black balls and that.. but its along those lines..
If I can be blunt.. I dont tolerate *******!
I'm sure I must have said 'no' to some good ones.. but by the same token I have not had many bad'uns either.. If you are mature enough to let a less powerful car pass you and you don't bully others with aggresive driving thats pretty much it.. add to that the enjoyment of being around the rest of the gang and the willingness to take part and have fun, you are getting there.. buy some raffle tickets, applaud the winner and then stand your round in the bar afterwards, you have cracked it.

Clublife mate.. its great.. its like your favourite WMC with wheels!

Edited by Nigel
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 23:35

Clublife mate.. its great.. its like your favourite WMC with wheels!

..so do you have a snooker table and beer at 1.20 a pint?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2006 at 23:56

Nope.. never had.
Nick

The info I was always given from the orifice was that it was club members only.

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

The idea of telling someone your password up front is just wrong.  Working in IT, the message we drill in to users is to never share your password.  I won't be registering any time soon!

Farcical - isn't it?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 00:06
I don't quite understand why they have placed their forum in a subdirectory of the site. Instead of bmwcarclubforum.co.uk it is at bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum.
1997 E39 523i
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 00:37

Which in itself means that anyone who had the forum saved in favourites will still get the unavailable message.

Maybe they like exclusivity...don't want too many common people finding it do they ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Nope.. never had.
Nick
The info I was always given from the orifice was that it was club members only.

Well yes they would say that.. they would also say no sticky tyres or open pit lane.. I'm afraid I bend the rules a little to make sure I get a good entry.. they are a little stricter at some of the other club trackdays
Jeff Spangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 07:27
Utter rubbish.

I've never heard so much childish toys out of pram nonsense in my life.

Starting up a brand new forum, saying it's open to view when quite clearly most of it is locked down, Ladies only section - FFS.

I wonder what is actually in the technical sections, did they take a copy of this forum in orde to build that one? Can anyone who can be arsed to register confirm or deny that fact? Are the technical sections empty?

If they are - hahahahahaha, all that knowledge gone!

Jeff (Spangle, not the one who creates his own gravity)
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 07:57

Hmm

I was going to join the BMW Car Club seeing as how I frequent here so often but I never did, just never got round to it but now I don't think I'll bother.

Only one technical post in the 5 series bit....wonder wot thats aboot??

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 08:34
I can't quite understand why people have such a big issue over the password business. Its only for a forum, its not like its for my bank account or something. As for there being little content on the forum this one had to start with nothing but because people use it the content built up to what it is now. It would be a sad state of affairs if people deny others the benefit of their experience because of political issues. If you support a football club just because the board and manager have issues you don't stop supporting the club. Ladies section? maybe a good idea . I like the idea of more female involvement in the forums. We all know there has been a split and not many are happy about it but the constant sniping that seems to be going on will only alienate club members. Almost as good as making this a non-members only forum. I am still an active member of the club and will remain so and would also like to continue using this forum but I'm not sure that I feel as comfortable on the forum as I used to be as I feel that any mention of the club will bring about a negative reaction. The club is not about individuals, its about all of us. Don't deny yourself membership of the club because of whats gone on. If you feel that strongly join up, go to the AGM and vote in Killian as chairman. Its in your hands but at least be positive about it. I hope that people using this forum will not put club members off using the forum because if thats the case they are no better than those they are unhappy with.  
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 08:51
just to pick up on two points of your post steven:-
1. many people (unfortunatley resue their passwords despits constant advice not to. By giving your passwrd to someone else you could be giving them access to many of your personal accounts.
2. I do not wish to be placed upon any board, never mind being made a chairman
1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:53

Steven

You are right, people shouldn't give up on their membership as a result of what has happened but there are strong feelings about it.  Even KB has said that he is remaining as a member.

However, there is definitely a sentiment here that people are amused (and maybe angered in equal measure) by the game being played by members of the committee and the setting up of the new club forum as it stands looks somewhat like shooting themselves in the foot.

You are right, if members of the club are unhappy with the way in which the club is being run then there are two ways to deal with it, either leave or look to bring about change from within.  I'm definitely in the latter camp, but as I said in another thread, feelings are probably running too high to make rational decisions about what form that should take right now.

As regards passwords, the key issue for anyone with passwords is privacy.  Identity theft is a major problem today.  This can take a number of forms, including electronic.  In my own usage of services and facilities on the web I take the best care I can to protect my identity from misuse by others.  Rule number one for that is to keep your passwords private.  Rule number two is to avoid mailing lists like the plague.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic