Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Website Forum > Website Announcements & Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW car club forum up and running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 11:00
Changing the club from within is an almost impossible task, the chairman has surrounded himself with his posse and as such is somewhat protected.

I will be very interested to see what happens at Gaydon later this month, if he decides to turn up.
Sponsored Links

Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:06
That is a joke, isn't it? Someone tell me it is!

a) NEVER give anyone your password...I know it's only a forum, but if they are storing details of passwords in a database alongside name, address, club membership number, etc, then perhaps your credit card details or bank account are in that database, too!

b) Ladies only....That is illegal...sex discrimination act, unless they have a men only forum, too.

c) Why real names only? Personally, I have no issues (Julz is my name...well Julian, actually), butwhy is it OK for "Avon" to use a nick and no one else? I do know some folk who just prefer to be anonymous on the 'net...perhaps because of their position at work or in public life...

However, although I suspect I won't be signing up to the forum, I am (for now) remaining a club member...I want to be able to have a chat to Andrew and Jeff as an equal standing member with equal voting rights...Personally, I don't particularly want to be a director or a chairman..I don't really have the time! However, if the reason that Jeff and Andrew are on the board is because no one contested the position, then I may just do that...I didn't vote for either of them. Partly because I was unaware of the AGM until it was too late to arrange to be there (postage issues, apparantly), an partly because there is no facility for postal or proxy voting...That is just wrong IMHO....
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:09

Jeff

Most club committee's are there because most people are happy enough to let other people handle those matters and as such inertia is generally the order of the day.  I don't know the details, but I'd imagine that there have been few changes on the committee in recent years and most of the committee and officer post elections have returned the incumbents unopposed. 

If there is a body of deadwood there or if members feel that the committee don't represent their views then the membership CAN do something about it.  It may take some time, because only a portion of the posts are required to retire each year, but it can happen if people feel strongly enough about voicing their concerns about how things are happening. 

If the leadership is running a homely little club for themselves then they are allowed to by a membership that doesn't turn up for the agm, etc. (I include myself in that group).  They will likely continue until the members gather themselves together and claim it back.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:09

Steven; from my own point of view, and I think it'll reflect the majority of peoples views, I don't care whether or not anyone here is a club member or not.  I don't see how it can effect that persons contributions to the forum as a whole.

If you want to mention something to do with the club, then that's your decision and your right, and nobody should jump down your throat about it.

As Dergside said, feelings are still running a bit high here wrt the clubs committee.  However, the committee isn't the club.

As for posting on the club forum, I can't see why it should be a problem.  If someone has a post regarding a problem they're having and you feel you can help, I'd be disappointed if noone responded due to their reaction to the committee.  After all, part of both forums functions is to give technical help and advice.

However, haveing looked at what I could access last night on the club forum, it looks very much like an "old boys club" with the opening posts.  However, somebody had to get the first posts up, so maybe it's the nature of the beast.  Maybe it was the samw here back in the early days.

Anyway, thats my 2p.

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

Isn't a "female section" illegal?

Not illegal - but it does tell you what a bunch of blinkered old fools they are.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:22

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

The idea of telling someone your password up front is just wrong.  Working in IT, the message we drill in to users is to never share your password.  I won't be registering any time soon!

I find this very odd considering the stance published on their newsletter.

They claimed to be worried about the legalities of meets and runs organised in the club name.  Well, they can be assured there are MUCH more serious legal implications by having others knowing your password when you're going to publish opinions and advice on a website!

I'm astounded at sheer double standards and integrity-flouting actions of almost everything they seem to do.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Jeff Spangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Jeff

If the leadership is running a homely little club for themselves then they are allowed to by a membership that doesn't turn up for the agm, etc. (I include myself in that group).

Agreed. I've been to an AGM, the 2004 one. There was approx 20 members present out of thousands.

A previous posting regarding postal voting or some sort of internet voting would seem the way forward.

(even the government sees this as a way forward)
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 15:28
I joined the club at the start but this year did not renew my membership the one reason was that there was no benifit from it no offence to you guys in the Uk but the deals etc did not apply to us in Ireland and the 10% didcounts in places are easily got if you ask or in my case I can get alot more. Alot of meets etc were organised outside the club with lads from other bmw sites in Ireland as we don't have such a large gathering. The only advantage maybe for people were the Mondello track or is that better driving days. the forum was also a great spot for advice but I did not limit myself to thsi forum and have found that alot of the US sites have alot more freedom and have alot more technical knowledge. BMW Uk/Ireland have yet to appear on the site offering deals or help etc maybe with informing people of recalls or other information. So for now I will not be renewing my membership and will keep my €55 for petrol or something for my car.     
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 15:46
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

and this is fun - Jeff & Pete are talking to each other!

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9

Bet everyone got the tissues out when they read this

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 15:49
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Which in itself means that anyone who had the forum saved in favourites will still get the unavailable message.

Maybe they like exclusivity...don't want too many common people finding it do they ?

I have it in mine and it links to it no worrys

comes up with front page with adds on as it did before

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv

Current:
116i Sport F20
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 15:54

Originally posted by Jeff Spangle Jeff Spangle wrote:

Utter rubbish.

I wonder what is actually in the technical sections, did they take a copy of this forum in order to build that one? Can anyone who can be arsed to register confirm or deny that fact? Are the technical sections empty?

)

Like every other forum it  comes down to those that post to build it up

you are not telling me that everything in all forum`s FAQ etc are not re worded (if even that) from other forums and sources

That`s the good thing about the BMW Community

There are loads of Info out there that everyone can get the benefit on

Edited by Pete330
Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 16:53
Pete,
yesterday I recieved a letter from the clubs solicitors regarding this site using the clubs copyright materials and the clubs phone number (which was very briefly on the homepage).
However, if you look at this sites T&Cs you will see how similar it is to the one in use by the clubs new forum. Our T&Cs have a copyright stamp on it and were in place before the club decided to make similar ones.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 17:16

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Pete,
yesterday I received a letter from the clubs solicitors regarding this site using the clubs copyright materials and the clubs phone number (which was very briefly on the homepage).
However, if you look at this sites T&Cs you will see how similar it is to the one in use by the clubs new forum. Our T&Cs have a copyright stamp on it and were in place before the club decided to make similar ones.

Yeah i know that,but all i am saying is that some of the info archived is taken from the likes of e36coupe,bmwland,bmwcar etc etc,so if the wording appears to be the same with some things thats cause it is all copied (or shared)

Edited by Pete330
Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 17:19

And this site is free to register you don't have to pay a €55 annual fee  

Yet

Edited by topazman
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 17:34
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

If it`s on the net it`s everyones

Will you tell others that then?

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 17:47

Well I use my own name on here anyway, so that wouldn't bother me!  

ladies only section? why? I don't see the point.

At the end of the day they have their own forum and we have ours. If people wish to use either or both then good for them. It's time to let this one lie, live and let live I say!

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

If it`s on the net it`s everyones

Will you tell others that then?

Not sure of your question there?

Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 18:50

Can we just lock up these "ours is bigger than theirs" threads and get on with our lives?

After all, we already know that ours is bigger than theirs!!!  (smiles, that is!!)

FloridaBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloridaBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 20:31

Hey Guys!

Good to see some familiar faces.  Also props on getting the site running, looks great! 

Awhile back I had to shut my BMW site for many reasons.  It had some backlash but is done and the community is the better for it.  I think the same is true here.  From what I have experienced on the fomer site, this is where to be.  Here with the likes of, pete, topaz, fey, fenwick, kbannon and the rest.

And personally, I do not like to give my real name anywhere.  Creates a clamor.  But for you guys I will.  The name is Bond, James Bond.

BTW I picked up a 1991 318is.  More to follow!

Three cheers for this board!

PLEASE KEEP YOUR SIG PIC SIZE WITHIN FORUM GUIDELINES
foxyz3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyz3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 20:37

Well I think I am gonna get my password as I want to see what a "ladies only" forum is all about, or will I be the only lady there :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic