FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMondello feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mondello feedback
    Posted: 22-September-2003 at 10:51
Thanks to everyone for the support and co-operation on Saturday. Well done too the Ian and Robin too.

While it is fresh in peoples' minds can I get opinions on a few things:

1. Deposit. We charge the full price as a deposit. What do you think?

2. We did not run an open pit lane. Did you think a 3 group order was best? Would 2 groups be better?

3. What about session duration?

4. I was not happy that we did not start on time. Next time I would want Mondello to open the suites earlier and start briefings earlier. What do you think of having to arrive between 12 and 12:30?

5. Any other constructive criticisms?

6. Anyone want to organise next years?
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 11:17

1. I don't mind what way the deposit is paid - I guess the full whack is easier in the long term.

2. I think the groupings worked well. Don't want to mix slow cars with fast ones (for everyones benefit).

3. loads of short sessions are better than a few long ones form the point of view of car  and driver tolerances

4. The earlier people are organised the better.

5. Im happy to get next years day(s?) organised if people are happy with that. Anyone want to help?

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 11:57

Hi guys.

Firstly, I'd like to say well done to all involved for organising what was by and large a fantastic day that was enjoyed by all, judging by the smiles! Also, condolances if he's reading this to the guy whose day didn't end quite so well.

Full amount on deposit is in theory probably a better idea, as it minimises hassle for the organisers on the day, and means people are having to commit to coming. I know this means people won't commit until they know they can go though, which is probably reflected in the slow uptake in places until the couple of weeks beforehand.

Personally I preferred the group system as it kept similarly paced cars together, and also encouraged a bit of recovery time for the car. If someone was appreciably quicker then a change of group could always be arranged as the day progressed?

I was happy with session duration too and wouldn't stray beyond 6 laps given the choice - again it gave the cars a breather, and also kept a good turnover of people and cars.

It's always heartache trying to get people on time!! The problem was exaggerated by the delay in briefings however.

It would be nice if we could organise the next day on the international circuit as I imagine the success of this event would mean a high return rate, and the full track would allow most people freah sections. Obviously there would be cost implications, and due to the driving school availability would be an issue too.

I would be more than happy to help with the next trackday... I'm based in Cork but am usually up in Dublin once a month so if ye need a hand, let me know!

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 12:46
1. Deposit in full is best.If not you'll end up with people not showing and demanding money back etc...big headache.

2.Groups are better as if I went out,I'd rather not be on track with a string of M3's flying past me.It's less intimidating for the people who are just taking it easy if they are matched to the cars around them.

3.Duration was about right.Not too taxing on the cars.The last time I was down it was open pit lane and people stayed out to long and ended up with loads of problems.

4.The earlier the better to get down.Why pay money out and then waste the short amount of time you do get in a briefing!!

5.One thing that was annoying was the fact that there were no food or drink facilities.I know people were told to bring stuff and that there was tea and coffee but had the restaurant been open serving food i think it would do well!

6. I'll help out with next year seeing as i didn't make it down in time to help last Sat!
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 14:20
Full amount paid in full is best - you're better off knowing definite numbers whether they be good or bad.

Groups are the way to do it imho - as Richie said, having a few M3's driving up your arse could be a bit intimidating ( as can an alpina 2002 nearly touching your bumper )

Get a briefing early alright - on then start the sessions, if people are late they can joing the groups according the BHP/experience...

Agree with the food/drink - although we were warned!! I think I was faster driving back to KFC than I'd been on the track all day
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 14:23
Mondello offerred to arrange sandwiches for us - at €80 for 40! I thought that a bit much - we'd have needed 3 times that amount - and I wasn't sure about having the spare cash to pay for it. As you saw, we no float as such to sell them anyway...
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2003 at 15:25

Well done to all concerned. Really enjoyed it, still have most of my tyres & only used 3rd of a tank!! Will sign up for assistance on next one.

For the beginning of the day, Groups are the way to go, although they might be better based on experience & choice as opposed to purely BHP. For the first few sessions I'd have preferred to go group 2 but felt it might give the wrong message. By the last couple of runs the numbers going out were dropping off so an open pit would work.

We'll need to sort something out for food and drinks - hopefully not at Mondello rates! 80 yoyos for some soggy sambos is a bit much.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 00:21
I reckon that if you have an open pit during the day you will invariably have powerful cars being blocked on every corner by the likes of myself out on a sunday drive.
1997 E39 523i
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 07:19
Hardly a slug on Sunday yerself?
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 09:06
you reckon? All I remember was that an e30 318is kept passing me and 2 e36s couldn't. Actually, my only disappointment was the fact that I couldn't really hear the engine with the helmet on
1997 E39 523i
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 09:11

Ahh now Killian, you're not shy in keeping the Hurt-Valve wide open!!

I was nearly wishing I couldn't hear my engine; visions of con-rods punching through blocks after 7mins of between 4,000 and 6,500 kept popping up in my head!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 09:27

In retrospect, I suppose I should clarify that the Hurt-Valve is the throttle!!

Regards

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 11:17
Yeah, the 'hurt-valve' was fairly well down but I still took it handy esp. around 1st & last corners (unlike many of the Ms). Kevin Barry mentioned after the 1st session that my car was the quietest out there!
1997 E39 523i
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 11:28
Both of you were well on it - so stop the "I was taking it handy" lark
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 11:30

I have to agree - it was fairly discreet compared to some. No bad thing on the public road! I was taking it fairly conservative out of most bends (in that I wasn't looking at the exit through the side windows), particularly exiting Dunlops as there was an audience!!

Again, the advice of the instructor was great - he took 4 seconds out of my laps in the 2nd session (1.23), I had another 3 seconds out of that in my 3rd session, and by the 5th session when the track dried out I had another 5 seconds... I know it isn't a race but it's usful to have some sort of datum, and I know without him I wouldn't have had those improvements which were directly due to refinement of line, braking points, and giving me the confidence to power-with-small-slide directly from apex to exit - that had such a difference in the wet. The guy was a star and so approachable too.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

CGL_E30_325i View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 11:42
Lads - cheers for a great day out - had a great time!

I definitely felt like I got a lot out of the day - I hadn't really experienced much of that sort of driving before and now feel motivated learn more about my own and my car's limits.

After a few pant soiling moments with the wet track early on (that reminds me - must get that ABS fixed....) I relaxed and really started to enjoy myself. Was a bit dissapointed with my speed in places though - despite my "loud pedal" being nailed to the firewall I seem to remember a certain E46 318i going past me on more than one occasion! I'm really going to have to get that S50 transplant sorted for the next day out!
CGL
'88 325i Sport
'01 330d Sport Touring
'0? Westfield SEiW TDi

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 12:52
Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the support and co-operation on Saturday. Well done too the Ian and Robin too.

While it is fresh in peoples' minds can I get opinions on a few things:

1. Deposit. We charge the full price as a deposit. What do you think?

2. We did not run an open pit lane. Did you think a 3 group order was best? Would 2 groups be better?

3. What about session duration?

4. I was not happy that we did not start on time. Next time I would want Mondello to open the suites earlier and start briefings earlier. What do you think of having to arrive between 12 and 12:30?

5. Any other constructive criticisms?

6. Anyone want to organise next years?

1. Get full amount
2. No Open pit lane - grouping better
3. Session duration was just right - not too long not too short.
4. The earlier the better.
5. Food - A chip van/something similar would be good next time.
Also nothing was signposted i.e. from what gate we were supposed to enter, where to go when you entered Mondello park, route to take to pits, toilets etc. very badly layed out from that point of view.
Access to resources such as water, air etc.
6. More than happy to help out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic