FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 Engine Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 Engine Swap
    Posted: 03-August-2006 at 23:25

Also a good time to swap over the other bits that makes life easier, ie. If the 318 has PAS and 316 doesn't now is the ideal time to do it. 

Good luck with the transfer.. 

Sponsored Links

Estate_Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estate_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 16:49

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I was guessing it was a pretty straightforward swap but it's always better to ask beforehand rather than find out during the transplant!

The performance gap between the two engines is incredible and I hate having to change them out especially since the 1.6 had a lot of work done to it recently by the previous owner.

With that question answered regarding the engines, I must get the 1.8 serviced and get my place ready for the transplant!

Best Regards,

Colm
'93 BMW E30 316 Touring with 117k on the clock!
73touring View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73touring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 14:27
Yea its Just plug and play, I dont even think you have to swap over ECU's as its all taken care of by the Air Flow Meter, Always found it odd the difference in performance between the two engines dispite them being so simular.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 09:44
afaik its a straight swap
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 09:36
It might be better if one of the mods moved this to the 3 seriers technical forum
Estate_Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estate_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 07:53

Hi guys ,

This is my first posting to this forum so go easy on me. Recently purchased a '93 E30 touring with the 1.6 litre engine which is gutless. I already have a '90 E30 touring with the 1.8 litre engine which I have had to take off the road since it hadn't a hope of passing the NCT!! Is the engine swap a simple matter of swapping the engines? do I have to consider the ECU etc etc? Any help would be much appreciated.

Colm
'93 BMW E30 316 Touring with 117k on the clock!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic