Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSaw this on bmwland....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saw this on bmwland....
    Posted: 03-August-2006 at 09:44

Has anyone heard of it and if so is it any good/bad...

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=33285

Sponsored Links

coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 09:52
Dunno but it sounds great! Might be useful on my 155k engine, i dare say it needs a darn good clean out. I assume its safe on the catalytic converter?
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:02
I'm seriously tempted too.....but I'll wait to see what other's say here..

Edited by bm24v
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:32

When I were a lad ....

I think the stuff we used to use IIRC was Redex. Used to take the car somewhere out of the way, pour the stuff in and watch all the crap blow out the exhaust.

I don't know if technology has moved on and what the advantage of this new stuff is.

coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:36
I think the only difference is redex went in the fuel, this stuff gets sprayed in your inlet manifold.....i think. Probably does very similar job....
C10 OTS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C10 OTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 10:55

neil i remember using redex on my mates orion years ago and we poured half a bottle in the fuel tank and the rest directly into carbs.... giving it some shoooooee bugger me the black smoke that came out the back end was frightening, we were up at makro and you couldnt see the carpark

worked tho

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 13:45

Mrs said ”she just said it felt faster and like it had had an oil change

Thats a product endorsement for you....lol

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 14:03

I'd have a chat with Simon, from opie oils.

He seems quite clued up on this sort of stuff, what it does, what it contains within it, and what, if any, downside there is to using it

Best Wishes

Nigel

nickso View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2006 at 18:59

the cynic in me would suggest that the "black crap" from the exhaust is just the stuff you have poured into your manifold

the optimist in me will give anything a try once

chasseur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 17:04

Dont bother with spending money on that!

We all seen a head when a gaskets been leaking ..its spotless up to to the rest!

Get some water about half a pint, take of a small bore vacumn pipe with the engine running at a about 2000rpm let the pipe suck it up, the steam will come out of the exhaust & it will run a liitle rough while the water is going through so  do not let it die, after give it a nice steady run at about 50mph for 5 minutes & you'll have the same results!!.Honest!!

But if you want to spend money send it to mEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 19:29
I used this stuff and managed to eventually get some crap to come out, but didnt notice any more power at all, also getting the stuff in is a laugh you have to put it in after the AFM and when you disconnect the hose after the AFM the engine stalls, I had to get someone to press the throttle as i was putting it in a little at a time, also made my cat run well hot for about 30 mins
528 for now
hayesy View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2006 at 14:02
i had a primera egt before my bm and i used this stuff like what you said,didnt really make much difference but the car was well serviced and looked after so mayby that was why?

Edited by hayesy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic