Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShould I Shant I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I Shant I
    Posted: 22-September-2003 at 21:42

Been offered a chip for my 635csi, and don't know whether it is a good idea to mess around with the engine. The main thing i would be worried about would be reliability and is it going to do any damage to the car's engine!

Your advice and feedback would be most apreciated.

Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links

DaveB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 00:00
How many miles on the engine/car? That could be a big factor in the decision. Also, how much was the chip offered for?

Edited by DaveB

Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 08:45
Car has done 112k and engine is untouched. Chip is offered for under £50 pounds. No exspense  has been spared with servicing and it's had engine oil service every 3-4k.
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 09:31
For a £50 chip. On a nice 6. How can I put this...

NO!
andystone View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
yeovil - pit of the world!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 12:25
excuse my ignorance. what does a chip actually do?
vrrroom vrrroommmm! chug chug vrrroom vrrroommm!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 12:33
Originally posted by andystone andystone wrote:

excuse my ignorance. what does a chip actually do?

A chip controls a number of parameters which make your car go. Manufacturers build safety margins into these chips to take account of things like folk not sticking religiously to servicing intervals, varying fuel qualities, etc.

You can get after-market chips which alter these parameters to alter a car's performance characteristics.

Do a quick search on the forum for chips, superchips, dastek, unichip, mappable to read up some more.
andystone View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
yeovil - pit of the world!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 12:53
cheers for the info!
vrrroom vrrroommmm! chug chug vrrroom vrrroommm!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 13:11
I've just had the head taken off my 123,000-mile 1983 Six. Basically it needs a lot of work, and it will cost me £1500-ish, and comprises the following (all at BMW stealer prices):

Engine area first:

Radiator found to be leaking, new one:     £190 (for auto transmission cars)

Thermostat missing(!), new one:              £ 17

New distributor cap:                               £ 77 (this is main dealer price, right?)

New heater hose:                                   £   5

New spark plug heatshield (2)                 £140

New set of head bolts                             £ 24

Head set                                               £171

Oversize head gasket                             £ 82

Machining/skimming of cyl. Head            £260

Engine flush plus oil                               £ 60

OK, those are the bits we knew about. Then there are other "discoveries":

New O/s/f control arm balljoint                         £ 86

Rear Subframe welding work                      £120

(Possible new subframe bushes             £ 42.24)

New drag link                                         £ 70

Once all that's done, then maybe I might contemplate a "chip", but I would certainly have been foolish to put a chip in before the engine work was done.

Other question(s) for "Sohlman": what assurances do you have that the chip is appropriate to your ECU? If you put the chip in and it works, then the chances are you will have to devote time to uprating the braking system. More power tends to mean more effort to stop it!

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 13:57

Uprated Chip has now been sold, but was from a 535isport with the same engine code. Thanks for the feedback webdunk. Probably was not a good quality item!

Been looking on e-bay the last couple of months and you can get a Dinan chip for the big six for about $75 which i did not think was bad. Probably a much better part!

Quote Horsetan " If you put the chip in and it works, then the chances are you will have to devote time to uprating the braking system. More power tends to mean more effort to stop it!"

As for braking system upgrade, I have now aquired a  complete system from an 850csi. Was going to have it fitted this week along with a shortshift kit, but unfortunantly my thrust bearing went in my clutch and so brake conversion is on hold. Will have new clutch kit and short shift fitted tomorow with an exspected cost of £650. I am hoping they don't find anything else wrong as I want to put the brake kit on, and the larger this bill is the longer i have to wait.

Your engine work sounds exspensive. I have had most of the parts mentioned fitted about 5 months ago with the exception of the head work and related parts. Have you thought about doing some engine work whilst it is in pieces e.g. Hartge/Alpina conversion. I know fitz bits have full sets of parts and plans to do either of these conversions.  

Edited by Sohlman
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 16:48
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

Your engine work sounds exspensive. I have had most of the parts mentioned fitted about 5 months ago with the exception of the head work and related parts. Have you thought about doing some engine work whilst it is in pieces e.g. Hartge/Alpina conversion. I know fitz bits have full sets of parts and plans to do either of these conversions.  

Yes, it is expensive, but as I'm keeping the car, I'm more than willing to spend the money and make sure it's done by a BMW tech in a BMW workshop to BMW standards. The result should be good for another 120,000+ miles before full engine rebuilding is needed.

I think I'll leave the rest of the engine well alone. I was reading through the Dinan website www.dinanbmw.com, but they don't have anything in the engine department that's suitable for an ordinary "Euro" (as opposed to US) 635CSi.

As I have now ascertained that the test set of Alpinas do not fit, I will keep an eye out for a set of either Alpina 8"x16" or 8"x17"s, 8-inch being the widest that my car can get away with. It's probably better in my case to keep the same width all round.

So there we are.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 16:51

Been looking on e-bay the last couple of months and you can get a Dinan chip for the big six for about $75 which i did not think was bad. Probably a much better part!

If I know Dinan, this sounds like it's meant for US-spec cars rather than our "Euro" types...

After all, US-spec BMWs of that generation had lower power outputs than what we had. Hence, Dinan chips will be specific to them.

Our own home-grown "Superchips" would probably be a better bet.

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 18:45
Superchips will probably do an 'off-the-shelf; chip but you might want to try somewhere like van aaken who set the chip up the car using a rolling road-that way the new chip can be programmed to any other mods already done or done in the future.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 21:54

Thanks for all the input guys and girls (got to be politically correct now). I think the chip thing will probably be avoided although i will pick hartlake brains tomorow on that subject.

Good luck with the car Ivan. You are very wise, and when the time comes to do mine I will do the same although I will be tempted to do up the engine whilst the work happens. Don't want to think about that now though as gota save up again for the Brake conversion fitting.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2003 at 22:14

Good luck with the car Ivan. You are very wise, and when the time comes to do mine I will do the same although I will be tempted to do up the engine whilst the work happens. Don't want to think about that now though as gota save up again for the Brake conversion fitting.

NEWS UPDATE: it just got even more expensive. The original head has been found to be cracked

...so it's a new head, basically. And it means I can then use unleaded petrol at last!

Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 08:37
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

NEWS UPDATE: it just got even more expensive. The original head has been found to be cracked

...so it's a new head, basically. And it means I can then use unleaded petrol at last!

If it makes you feel any better Ivan, took head off this week and got a cracked piston.....and these are milled pistons for the 2.7 ....going the whole hog and having a full job done on bottom half and top half checked at same time. Damn it and I thought the divorce was expensive !!!!

Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 09:40
Originally posted by Iain H Iain H wrote:

[QUOTE=Horsetan][QUOTE=Sohlman]

If it makes you feel any better Ivan, took head off this week and got a cracked piston.....and these are milled pistons for the 2.7 ....going the whole hog and having a full job done on bottom half and top half checked at same time. Damn it and I thought the divorce was expensive !!!!

It does make me feel better. But not much better.

Carlos, my BMW tech, gave me the choice of a BMW certified reconditioned head (£650 + VAT), or a brand new bare head (£800 + VAT). I went for the former, on the basis that it was more likely to have hardened valve seats put in, as opposed to new stock which could have been sitting there for ages.

As for divorce, I'm single - with good reason: I can't afford to get hitched. Certainly not now, anyway, hehehe

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 19:26
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Iain H Iain H wrote:

[QUOTE=Horsetan][QUOTE=Sohlman]

It does make me feel better. But not much better.

Carlos, my BMW tech, gave me the choice of a BMW certified reconditioned head (£650 + VAT), or a brand new bare head (£800 + VAT). I went for the former, on the basis that it was more likely to have hardened valve seats put in, as opposed to new stock which could have been sitting there for ages.

Well my car is certainly leaching my pocket too if this makes either of you feel any better. On changing my clutch it has been found that I have a damaged flywheel that should ideally be replaced at a cost of £200 + fitting.  The steering box has excessive play and should be done in the next 10k at a cost of £200 + fitting, the central track rod is shot and needs imediate changing at a cost of £150 + fitting, The propshaft coupling is cracked £30 and my new exhaust is blowing which means it needs re welding. I also tried to fit new uprated headlamp bulbs and the old bulbs are fused on and so both headlamps need to be removed and cleaned and this is a major job on a six and is probably 2-3 hours labour.

These cars are a LABOUR OF LOVE as a very wise man said to me .....

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2003 at 09:48

Well my car is certainly leaching my pocket too if this makes either of you feel any better. On changing my clutch it has been found that I have a damaged flywheel that should ideally be replaced at a cost of £200 + fitting.  The steering box has excessive play and should be done in the next 10k at a cost of £200 + fitting, the central track rod is shot and needs imediate changing at a cost of £150 + fitting, The propshaft coupling is cracked £30 and my new exhaust is blowing which means it needs re welding. I also tried to fit new uprated headlamp bulbs and the old bulbs are fused on and so both headlamps need to be removed and cleaned and this is a major job on a six and is probably 2-3 hours labour.

These cars are a LABOUR OF LOVE as a very wise man said to me .....

Oh, but it'll be worth it in the end. Trouble, I can't see the end of the tunnel at the moment.

You'd better get your front / steering subframe checked as well. Mine fractured last year, which caused the steering box to come adrift, and had to be replaced at a cost of £300...

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2003 at 16:11

Just back off hols so I'm catching up here.

Chips aren't worth bothering with unless the engine is modified beyond normal parameters, then it's the icing on the cake. Think a little chip maker knows more & tested more than BMW?

Sorry about your misfortunes Horsetan. I was told a complete new engine from BMW was about £2-3k!

Where were you getting your Alpinas from & what size tyres were  you trying?

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2003 at 09:50
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Sorry about your misfortunes Horsetan. I was told a complete new engine from BMW was about £2-3k!

Where were you getting your Alpinas from & what size tyres were  you trying?

I've managed to find a brand new M30 cylinder head. The Alpina experiment is now curtailed, as it was found that the rims were too wide, particularly at the rear....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic