Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNorth of France..... Places to see

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North of France..... Places to see
    Posted: 10-August-2006 at 01:37

I'm planning to head to the North of France in September, I'm bringing the Touareg but have decided not to get the long boat as friends have just done it and are over doing the champagne region at the moment. 

They told me to go to Holyhead and go the Dover-Calais route, I'm going to the North of France as I only have a week.

Any places which are good to see in this area, I will be camping for most of the week, I might go B&B in some of these winery joints if they are not too pricey.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

David

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Sponsored Links

e46 m3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e46 m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 01:44
Originally posted by US M3 US M3 wrote:

I'm planning to head to the North of France in September, I'm bringing the Touareg but have decided not to get the long boat as friends have just done it and are over doing the champagne region at the moment. 

They told me to go to Holyhead and go the Dover-Calais route, I'm going to the North of France as I only have a week.

Any places which are good to see in this area, I will be camping for most of the week, I might go B&B in some of these winery joints if they are not too pricey.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

David

two places i always used to visit when i was younger was fecamp on the coast, lovely fortified town and ruen (spelling)?

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 08:28

you dont save any time going the landbridge route, i tried it twice because we used "ryan air of the seas" irish ferries two years ago and the wife and then 2 kids were sick coming home as it was a rough crossing. the landbridge route can be a nightmare. go with brittany ferries from cork esp if you have kids, at least they can roam around a bit. places to see around brittany are carnac, vannes, lorient.

the best supermarket/hypermarche is carrefour or e. leclerc they are the biggest.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 08:37
if your looking for sat nav, carrefour have some v cheap. the best value is support plus navi for €290 it has maps of france on it and you get a registration number for downloading the rest of europe free. ireland is vell detailed.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 09:08

take the long boat it's quicker in the long run... I live near Bordeaux and often work in Dublin/Cork and have always found the direct route faster & easier.

Not sure how far you're planning to drive while there but Tours & Le Mans aren't a million miles from Cherbourg, gtreat towns, superb roads and plenty of decent vinyards. I find the Auchan (at le Glacerie) in Cherbourg is very good for wines - generally better than the Carrefour in the town itself. If you're a smoker there's a small tabac half way down the hill into Cherbourg town that sells UK/Irish fags a good prices.

Can't remember exzactly where it is but deffo up that way is a place called Fougeres where we stop for lunch on the way back.;.. v nive there.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 09:26
Having done the UK route years ago, I will admit that the boat is less stressful and usually travels overnight making you fresher for the drive in France.
Of the two main companys exiting Ireland, I would honestly go with Brittany Ferries over Irish Ferries. Leaving the politics of underpaid foreign workers aside (and the fact that I was stuck in Roscoff for 8 hours last year!), the difference in condition of the boats is absolutely huge. BF is so, so comfortable compared to IF.
Pricewise they are much the same IIRC.

If you are going to be buying gargle then do it in the hyper/supermarkets - don't visit the merchants at the port!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 10:00

I find the tobacco warehose called eastenders, just over the belgium border a good place to start my visit !

There is the "V" bomb museum just down from Calais, if that sort of stuff interests you.

I'd also much rather sail to France than drive most of it through the UK, its not a nice route from Holyhead to Dover ( although the first bit through Wales can be terrific if you go through Snowdon), you'll be travelling along some of the UK's most congested roads.

Best Wishes

Nigel

irishwoody View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 09:20

Having a holiday home in Normandy, I'm over and back quite a bit.  I would reccomend.

Depend where in North France you want to be - East side then Calis may be a good bet, Brittany/Normandy then long boat is best.

I would take long boat - direct from Ireland - much less stressful - board in evening, have a meal a few beers and chill - next midday your are there - fresh and ready fro France.

If I can get booking on Celtic Ferries out of Rosslare to Cherbourg I go with them - generally they only carry about 80 passengers most of them truckers - rest of boat is cargo, live animals etc.  The facilities are limited to lounges, one dining area, one bar and 30 or so cabins.  All food is included in price and with the small numebr onboard it is a calm trip.  If I cant get Celtic then I go Irish Ferries or Brittany.

Where to see,

Not certain what your interests are but I reccomend

1. St Malo (if you take the Brittany Ferries) to Roscoff, visit the old walled town - very interesting.

2. The Normany coast with D-day museams is also a good way to spend a couple of days.

3. Towns like Deaville/Trouville / Honfleur on coast - good place visiting and some of the best seafood I have tasted.

4. Mont St Michelle - amazing place.

If you are into the Champagne - visit a place called Epernay just south of Reims - you can buy direct from many growers there and sample before you buy.  This is about 3 hours from Callais if I remeber correctly.

Wines - you can pick them up anyplace but if you are just doing a run to "fill the Toureg" then any of the ports have big supermarkets where the wines are cheap and you can fill up before boarding for home.

If in Normandy/Brittany make sure to try traditional cider - Its the business.

Caeilte

'06 X5 Comm.
'97 740
'97 523 For sale

Dublin
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 09:39

I was checking the Brittany Ferries Website for next year and the boat now leaves at 17:00 and arrives 07:30 which is great. Add a pool on board and other entertainment your holiday begins as soon as you board the boat.

The last time we went with Irish Ferries the cabins were not particularly clean. Went landbridge twice and both times were a nightmare. I think the hypermarkets will ship goods home for you. Hopefully they do as I seen a Mexican Barbaque for about €200 (Stone barbaque with chimney). Hearth and Home are retailnig for about €1300.

Dave Ryle

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 11:32
BF is cleaner, brighter, newer, more friendly. The beds in the cabin fold into the roof & walls and the windows in he cabins are larger all giving the impression of loads of space.
The pool is inside a bar so going for a swim may not be realistic!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic