Forum LockedE30 OBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 OBC
    Posted: 12-December-2002 at 19:01
Hi,

Any ideas on how to change the bulb on the onboard computer in an E30? Is there any way to extract the obc without dismantling the dashboard or would I need to follow the same procedure as if I was accessing the heater etc...?

Cheers

Steve

Retro is the way forward.....
Sponsored Links

Goldsoul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2002 at 21:39

I don't know if its the same as my E28 520i but this may help. I had to take the instrument cluster out, then remove the OBC. on the side of the OBC there is a white bulb holder that you pull out the side of the unit by gripping it with a pair of pliers. you will extract a plastic housing with printed circuit board with two bulbs soldered on2 it.

My bulb holder cost me about 10quid ish from the main dealer and took 3days from Germany. Hope that helps

Paul Wakeham View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2002 at 10:19

I have just done the same thing....it is a real pain, and the part cost just over £16 from BMW in the UK - that has to be a con for a little piece of plastic and 2 soldered-in bulbs. I am normally OK with BMW prices as the quality is good, but this is a bit silly.

The main problem with these is that the 2 bulbs are wired in series, so if one goes, the other doesn't work either. I am sure you could get 2 6 volt bulbs from Maplin and solder them in in you have the time.

On the back of the OBC is the light which illuminates the buttons on the front - it has to make sense to change that at the same time as it is a right so and so to get at. Incidently, this bulb comes complete with the holder, so you have to change the whole thing.

Good luck.....

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2002 at 19:40
Cheers Paul. It is the LCD display illumination that's gone, the buttons are ok, so I think a trip to the dealer and open surgery on my wallet is on the cards, you don't happen to know the part number, do you?

Also what's the best way of removing the OBC to change the bulbs, I've looked in the Bentley manual and the only way I can see is via the panel that houses the radio and heater controls, is this correct?

Your help would be much appreciated, especially by my wallet!!

Steve

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2002 at 16:59

Hiya

The part number is BM65.81.1.375.461 - description is a E30 OBC bulb unit housing. Cost was £13.93 plus VAT......

To take the OBC out, you  have to remove 4 set screws from the rear of the OBC which fixes the 4 corners to the dash panel. How on earth you do that without removewing the heater control panel etc is beyond me. I was 'lucky' as a previpous owner had broken all 4 fixing brackets on the OBC so by just removing the top fixings to the side panel of the glove box I was able to waggle the OBC out that way.

You may be able to get a screwdriver in from the back and undo the 4 cross head set screws, but I doubt you will get them back in again! I think you will have to remove the lower dash first and work on it that way.

Once you get the OBC out, don't try to take out the white plate at the back, the bit you need is on the side facing the right and is clearly marked 'pull' and the German equivelant which has escaped me for now.

The pain in getting the OBC out is the reason why I suggest changing the buttons bulb as well. It is so easy when the OBC is out, and you will never change it with the OBC in, and they do fail as I know. The replacement was only about a £1 from my local car bits shop, so a small price to pay.

You have a long fiddly job ahead I'm afraid.

BTW, I resecured my OBC with 4 small spots of SuperGlue - with no fixings it was the only option I had! I just hope the glue joint gives if I ever need to get it out again.

All the best...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2002 at 17:46

PS.....

Have just been out in the car and had another look...you may be able to slide out the bulb carrier from the RHS of the OBC if you remove the radio and the metal tray it sits in, plus the hazard light switch. The white plastic bit you need will be just by the side of the hazard switch. You may need pliers to give it a gentle pull.

If nothing else, you may be able to remove the 2 right hand screws holding the OBC in through the radio aperture, and the left hand ones from inside the glove box, and then waggle the OBC out through the glove box.

Good luck!

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2003 at 17:44
Many thanks Paul, much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

ajbm325ic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2003 at 12:38

325SME how did you get on replacing the OBC baclight bulb?

Got to do mine. Has anyone attempted to replace all dash bulbs, mine are probably a little dimmer than usual due to age and was thinking of replacing them.

1991 325i convertible.

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2003 at 20:33
To be honest I haven't got around to it yet, somebody at work mentioned overtime and I haven't seen daylight for over a month. I'll try to get around to it sometime soon and I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic