Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > General E30
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW are pants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW are pants
    Posted: 11-August-2006 at 17:04

I think I may have seen something about this recently but today it was confirmed to me; BMW are no longer doing the touch up paint in Henna Red.

When I spoke to a rep from BMW GB they confirmed this and it was basically tough mate.
My dealer had done a UK search to find 2 listed; Wimbledon and North Shields. The Wimbledon one had been thrown out because it was leaking and the North Shields one reserved for a customer!!!

BMWGB would not do a worldwide search for me, because I asked. Nice!!!!!

What the **** **** *** do they think they are playing at?? Oh yes I can buy a can of henna red spray - very useful for a stone chip.

If I wanted to spray the car I would ask a spray shop; to touch it in I would do it myself. Can't quite see how the German logic is working here.

I can go and get touch ups for 02's - very useful - for a 3 series owner. It seems that the 3 is a neglected vehicle from BMW, be it E21 or E30.

Is there any forum members out that know where I might get one from pleeeeeease...

Sponsored Links

Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 18:55
Yes, I came accross the very same thing last weekend...

Officially, Halfords do the colour in their custom range, but because the orange component is lead-based, they only get it to special order...

I have now ordered a 0.5litre pot from a paint supplier....

Hennarot 052 was also listed for E28 5-series as well as E21 and E30 3s
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2006 at 00:21

Unfortunatly, manufacturers are only obliged to supply parts etc for ten years after the production of the last vehicle off the asembly line. Not sure how it works with paint but I imagine it's the same. Think of it from their point of view; vehicle, ten years old or plus, less demand means higher production cost of part and as the vehicle is out of warranty, most people will go to factors for parts so it's not worth their while to continue to produce parts for their old vehicles any more. It's a harsh reality of the motoring world, but look on the bright side, one persons loss is another gain, there will be someone out there who will have exactly what you want!

Regards

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2006 at 10:11
I live in North Shields! I wonder who has it reserved? Never seen a Henna red BMW around here.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2006 at 16:25

They know how many older cars are out there - remember that scam with the rad cap.

A lovely marketing tool to find out how many and of what is still running.

It is only in the past year this has happened cos I normally buy one each year and so does my mate cos he has a Henna one too.

Still can't work the German logic as to why I can spray but not touch up??????

Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin_E30_318iS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 00:22
There are some good ranges of aftermarket touch up paints, such as the Motip range which do the job and cost about half the price. I got some BMW touch up paint for my E30 and thought the cost was outrageous, €10 for a touch up stick and lacquer stick, and €10 for a 150ml can of touch up spray and lacquer spray. I can get a 400ml tin of Motip spray for €7 and a 500ml tin of lacquer for €10!
Kevin_1990_318iS
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 11:18
Just go down to your local motor factors and get them to make you up a small pot that they will match from your bodywork.
Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 16:06
For small touch ups, BL Cinnabar red is very close.
(Think A - B reg MG Metros and stuff).
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 13:29

Funny enough i went to my local parts dept yest for some alpine white 2 touch up paint...was told that was discontinued as well but the parts guy was good(Wollaston in Northampton) , said he make an enquiry

Anyway he rang me back 30mins later and told me he'd have it in by wednesday at a cost of £5..relief!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic