Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCarbon Airboxes / Alpha N Questions....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon Airboxes / Alpha N Questions....
    Posted: 15-August-2006 at 08:35

Morning All

Does anybody know where that site is which says something along the lines of 'if you don't know what an M3 with a carbon airbox sounds like click here', is?

Also on Markus's site it say that these are not for road use, why is this? how much horsepower could one expect from fitting this to a standard 2.3 and what does the system with Alpha N do exactly? I have a rough idea but what are the limitations for road use? Am I right in thinking i'll need a shrick cam aswell to get the best gains....?

TIA - Nick.

Sponsored Links

jonny 320is View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny 320is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 12:49

Thats alot of questions!

Do a search, this has been covered a fair bit before.

Also give www.s14.net a go, its covered very well in there.

* '88 320is - Dolphin Grey - FOR SALE
* '97 528i se - Montreal Blue
     www.pixometry.com
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 14:33
http://www.board.s14power.com/

http://www.s14power.com/

BTW - theres a group buy coming up
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 17:22

Nico - I don't know your whereabouts in country but would suggest you try to meet up with someone who's got airbox/A-n/hot cams etc to see if you like the results.

My current spec. (unlikely to change in foreseeable...)

Rebuilt 215 (late) engine with 48TBs

Maxx A-n

Carbon airbox with ITG filter

Schrick 284/276 cams

Professionally mapped on rolling road (ignition & fuelling).

Lightened flywheel

237bhp ("flywheel") @ 7800, 192 bhp at wheels (the "real" comparison); 175 lbft @5500

(Currently) 3.91 lsd with 40% lockup

If I were to spend my money again I wouldn't bother with the airbox (because of noise/resonance) and "do a Uwe" with standard parts. And 3.64 or 3.76 lsd

My car now fair flies at the top end, but only really works as a track tool. It is completely tractable however and MOTs fine.

I'm in Wolves if you're in the Midlands btw

piers66
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 21:53

If you send me your email address and your on broad band i will send you a copy of my mates M3 at croft with alpha N and carbon air box video, with 320bhp

rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by neo1 neo1 wrote:

If you send me your email address and your on broad band i will send you a copy of my mates M3 at croft with alpha N and carbon air box video, with 320bhp

See if you can host it online, Id love to see that
Rich.
Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 07:20

Thanks for the replies so far....

I have tried searching S14.net but it seems to be pretty specific stuff on there - not basics about the airbox and Alpha N...

Whether or not it would MOT was my main concern, however, As it's a daily driver (soon not to be when I can find some cheap TRXs Darryl ???) I need it not to be too wearing noise wise, though tbh that's the reason I want to do it along with the horsepower, the howl is awesome!

What has Uwe done, no a/b no a/n I presume? Chip, cams, head work and t/bs

Thanks.

piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 09:20
Uwe has A-n but with modified standard filter housing - I'm sure he'd be happy explaining this & other mods to you
piers66
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 12:12
Originally posted by piers66 piers66 wrote:

237bhp ("flywheel") @ 7800, 192 bhp at wheels (the "real" comparison); 175 lbft @5500

Can you post up a graph?

Steve
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 13:06
I'll do so once I get back from Germany - next Tuesday?
piers66
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 21:03
I can't host a video but i can email it to someone who can, ive a couple from 6 meg to 11 meg vids, anyone help.
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 21:12

I can't host a video but i can email it to someone who can, ive a couple from 6 meg to 11 meg vids, anyone help.

Join Google video and post them on there.It takes 30 seconds to join and all very easy to do. I have a couple of 150 meg videos on there,all for free and fast download/play speeds.

m3ben2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3ben2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 14:13

Neo - who is your mate with this M3?

Only asking because i know a few people with similar powered M3's

neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 21:09

M3ben he is caleed Adrian Harkness, from newcastle.

The engine is now sold to another member on here

rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2006 at 23:45

Goto Rapidshare and follow their instructions, then copy the link it will give you onto here. Its completely simple

(also copy the delete link so in a month or so you can remove it from their servers)
Rich.
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2006 at 19:36

here we go boys rapid share it is.

http://rapidshare.de/files/30010660/25.07.05_Croft__65_.MOV

Rob

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2006 at 10:35
My intake solution (detailed elsewhere on the site)
only ment to be temporary but still there over a year
later! courtesy of B&Q

Edit: the insulating tape has noe been replaced with
a more permanent fixing!

Edited by 215DMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic