Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfront brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front brakes
    Posted: 21-August-2006 at 08:50

has anyone ever had this before, some times when i first apply the brakes i get a wobble on my steering wheel (like if your discs are warped),but by the time i fully apply the brakes it stops, But sometimes it does it and some times it doesnt, pads are ok and car stops ok but this intermitant prob is dion my head in, now i have been told that it may be cheap brake pads but i dont know,  any ideas.

cheers steve

Edited by hayesy
Sponsored Links

fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 13:53
Just a thought but it's possible that it's down to tyres too. I've just replaced my rear boots and it's solved all manner of vibrations including what I thought was clutch judder when moving off, and something similar to the braking wobble you mention.

Do note though, my rear axle used to have a mismatched tyre set - a pirelli p6000 powergy and a 'gislaved'... (dont ask!)

Otherwise you could be right with your own diagnosis.
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neileg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 14:22
General wear in the suspension bushes and/or wheel bearings would give the effects you describe.
Cheers, Neil
steeldonkey View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:05

hello mate

i have the same problem, i have nowwowed it down to hard braking over an uneven surface that makes it the worst, at the moment my best guess is either wear in the rack or the track rod ends, i shall investigate further when i get a chance.

cheers

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:10
i have had that problem for a while mate

i don't get any feeling through the pedal just through the steering i have had the front arms checked and they are fine and had the rack looked at. I personally think its something in the steering column.

It doesn't really affect the car its just annoying

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 18:11

Haysey,

could be a number of things, so start at the cheapest check and work from that. You say that it only does it sometimes, would you say it is more pronounced when there is a camber on the road or under cornering, if so then it'll probably be the front suspension track arm bushes as Neil suggests. If not then run it in for a free steering and brake check and that should spot if it's discs, rack or track rod ends and ask if they can check for bearing wear.

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
hayesy View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 19:55

thanks for replys, i will have look at weekend hopefully.

cheers steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic