Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked530d Turbo’s.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Casserly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 530d Turbo’s.
    Posted: 21-August-2006 at 18:47

Just to come back to y'all about that issue regarding the turbo's in 530's needing changing at 100k regardless. This is not at all true. It's all about regular oil changes. There is a small feeder pipe that runs off the main oil supply to the engine. This pipe lubricates the turbo bearing, and it drains from the underside of it. The pipe will get gummed up if the engine oil is left unchanged, or changed too late regularly, and could lead to the turbo running dry, and we know what happens then! Anyway, early and regular oil changes will keep your engine in top condition. Spoke to a top BMW grease man, and he has seen 530d's with 200k on the clock and no trouble.

Happy motoring.

Sponsored Links

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 19:32
And I know of others with BMW s/history that spat
their turbos out at 110k...........

Cost of a turbo - v - cost of an engine (or £3000 for
turbo,intercooler, inlet manifold, first catalyst)
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 21:04
If it's a consumable item then it would have "Replace Turbo" in the service manual for the 100,000 mile service. If not and your turbo goes with a BMW FSH then you can still sue BMW if your car is less than 6 years old. This is written in the law. (only saw it on telly the other day) Once your claim is reasonable then the manufacturer can be liable for up to six years from time of purchase. If the car had 200k with no service history then you probably don't have a claim. This law goes for anything. ie a cheap cd player brakes after 13 months = no claim but an expensive cd player brakes after 3 years = claim.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Robert Casserly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Casserly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2006 at 23:45

Well 5KXO,

I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule and we do hear of turbo's giving up at low milage, but if I was to sit here and write down all the ones that did'nt blow, I'd be here all week!

To anyone thinking of buying a 530d, buy with confidence. You'll be hard pushed to find a better car.

Rob.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 08:13

Hmm

I have to say the horror stories of 530d costing plenty (turbos, cats, fuel injectors....) with age and mileage was one factor that put me off a diesel.  That along with I didn't feel comfortable working on a diesel engine where as the M52 and M54 engines are pretty straight forward for diy. 

And the pick up when driving wasn't as good as my petrol. 

I don't do enough miles a year to warrant a diesel.  The fact that diesel costs more but you can go further for the same volume of fuel means it is only about 2 pence per mile cheaper to run than my 523i.  15,000 a year = £300 saving.  Whhooooaaaa.  An additional oil change for reasons mentioned above eats into that £300 plus slightly higher servicing costs and you will not notice the difference.  Plus it will eat rear tyres with that amount of torque, 400 Nm!

But as you say Rob, provided it's looked after........it should last......And they do pull like a train when you drive them, with a real kick in the back when booting it hard in 2nd when the turbo kicks in.  Yeehaaaa

One common problem of diesel turbo failure is people switching off the engine too early.  Park the car and switch off straight away means the turbo is still spinning but there is no oil being fed to the turbo bearings and this eventually seizes them if done often enough!  Let the engine idle for a moment before switching off.

Will need to have a shot of a 530i before I finally decide if it is a 530i or a 530d.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Robert Casserly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Casserly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 14:29

Hi Andrew,

You'll find both the 530i and 530d very enjoyable to drive and very different too. The petrol will be quicker off the line but the diesel will eat it in mid range punch. Either way there is'nt much in it. They're both fantastic cars....It's true what you say about the rear tyres, it can eat them. I thought the front would go first because of the extra wieght of the diesel lump in the front. Still worth it though. I got 30k from a set of bridgestone Turanza's and that was "spirited" driving, and I actually cant see a 530i being much kinder to the rear rubber.

Happy hunting,

Rob.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 14:55
Originally posted by Robert Casserly Robert Casserly wrote:

and I actually cant see a 530i being much kinder to the rear rubber.

Neither can I judging by how often the traction control cuts in on my car .

Or course if you leave it turned on the wear shouldn't be too bad (he says fingers crossed. 255/40/17 = expensive)

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
filipharvey View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filipharvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

One common problem of diesel turbo failure is people switching off the engine too early.  Park the car and switch off straight away means the turbo is still spinning but there is no oil being fed to the turbo bearings and this eventually seizes them if done often enough!  Let the engine idle for a moment before switching off.

Too true. I dont understand why car manufacturers dont install some kind of turbo timer or similar, to both petrol and diesel turbo'd cars. It's not like that would be an expensive part.

And how many dealers actually warn you of the possible damage?

Previous:
BMW E34 525i SE (2.7 ETA Conversion w/Schrick Cam)
BMW E34 530i V8 Touring

Current: Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 TwinSpark
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2006 at 17:15
Originally posted by Robert Casserly Robert Casserly wrote:

Well 5KXO,

I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule and we
do hear of turbo's giving up at low milage, but if I was
to sit here and write down all the ones that did'nt
blow, I'd be here all week!

To anyone thinking of buying a 530d, buy with
confidence. You'll be hard pushed to find a better
car.

Rob.

Sure. If you had the car from new, drove it without
trying to kill it and let the engine idle for 10 - 20 secs
before shutting it off every time then yes, the turbo
will be fine. However, if I'm buying a 100'000 mile
530d and I don't know how it's been driven, I'll fit a
new turbo and put the old one on Ebay........
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2006 at 17:37
I'm sure it tells you in the owners manual to let it idle before turning the engine off. It says it in my Patrol manual and same in my old Landcruiser manual. And it says let it idle for 30 seconds after a long journey.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2006 at 07:50

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

I'm sure it tells you in the owners manual to let it idle before turning the engine off. It says it in my Patrol manual and same in my old Landcruiser manual. And it says let it idle for 30 seconds after a long journey.

Yeah but how many drivers a) read the manual and then b) actually do what the manual says!

I would do it but I'm quite sure others won't.  I let my petrol idle for a few seconds before switching off the engine while I switch off all the electrical items that are on so that nothing is 'on' while I'm cranking the engine when cold in the morning.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2006 at 08:21
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Yeah but how many drivers a) read the manual

As demostrated by the number of questions asking for info that's in the manual. Of course I do it myself so who am I to comment

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 13:30
Regarding 530d reliability:

Firstly, most failures are caused by poor maintenance. BMW are wrong with their service intervals. They are designed for normal operation to pass warranty!!

A 530d should [in my opinion] have Oil & Filter services EVERY 8-10K MAXIMUM with the CORRECT OIL.

Secondly, a lot of customers penny pinch - they don't want to pay for the PROPER BMW SPEC oil. As a result, most services carried out by independents [or DIY] are using a lower spec oil to the high service intervals, which are too high anyway...

Thirdly, people don't understand to keep the engine idling for 30-60 seconds after a HARD drive especially. As stated here, you have to let the turbo slow down.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----

It's amazing that turbos last as long as they do on this model! I've had to change them at 40K. If you want reliability - renew the oil & filter every 8K with correct spec oil [Mobil 1 is a brand name that everyone knows]. I've got one car on original turbo with 260K that was serviced like that from new.

This had become such a problem that I took the choice away from my customers regarding what oil was used - I force them to go my way or the highway! If they don't like the price of the oil they can go elsewhere.

A hidden problem here is that independents [myself included] can buy a quality oil at relatively small money in bulk. When you have a BMW diesel customer in, the temptation is there to use the cheaper oil - simple money - customer is charged less and independent makes more money... So, short term, the customer is delighted, the independent makes more profit...
Another issue here is that most independents DON'T STOCK the correct oil at all [for later Beemers/Mercs etc] and don't want to turn away the work - so they put in the best oil they have...which is not good enough... However, they don't even realise the difference it makes..

The customer never realises down the road when the turbo gets shot that it was the saving of 50 quid in an oil change that caused it - they blame the car [as has happened here].

I've had customers "hop up and down" when they see a charge of Euro100 for oil on their bill. However, if their only complaint is that you're expensive - there's no problem in my book...

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Regarding drivability.
Petrol is quieter, smoother - without doubt.
Diesel is better all round car to drive especially in auto.

For example:
The early 184bhp 530d is far ahead of the 528i
The later 193bhp is a match [in real world driving] for the 00 530i
The newer [E60] 530d is excellent and the 535d FANTASTIC.

Another benefit - if driven gently, the 530d will get 45mpg+ easily

Most of the 530d's I've driven that were not serviced properly DO NOT drive as they should, but the customer doesn't even realise it... [They usually need MAF's, Turbos, Injectors].
Going back to the 260K example above - it's on it's 3rd MAF, original turbo, original injectors & second pre-supply pump.

HTH,
BMWcare

Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 21:55

Good write up, could you explain 3rd MAF??dont know what it is or you mean??sorryBlack Eye

the supply pump?could this cause a hesitant drive if the car is cold in the morning?meaning the pump is on the way out or needs adjustment? as mine can be slightly jerky when cold?

2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 02:10
3rd Air Mass Meter - It's practically a service item anymore :(

It got 3 in it's life - one new, I fitted 2.

Pre-Supply pump causes starting problems - 100% flagged by diagnostic check...

BMWcare

Oisin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 08:53
Thank you for that information
2006 VW Passat 1.9tdi
1995 E34 520i(M5)Sold.New classic required
Previous: 2004 Santa fee commercial - 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0,Tid - 1997 E39 525tds

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 12:50

Originally posted by Bimmer525 Bimmer525 wrote:

Thank you for that information

Yes BMWcare thank you very much for the info you have given.

I looked at an AUCBMW 530d which had 25,000 miles on the clock but had only ever had 2 services and one was at 12,000 miles and the second was from the dealer who was selling the car, who had just done it.  I wonder what its turbo bearings would be like.

What oil should a 530d be run on then? Apart from the name mobile, what is the rating like 10W-40 etc.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2006 at 13:58
Ok,
It's quite an extensive list so I'll only deal with the M57/M57TU engines here. [530d 1999-2004]

Firstly, BMW rate oils as follows [from BEST to WORST, sortof]
LongLife-04, LongLife-01, LongLife-01FE, LongLife-98. I'll refer to two of them, namely LL04, LL01 [ones I use].

M57 engine can use LL04/LL01/LL98
M57TU engine can use LL04/LL01 [09/2002-]

BMW documentation specifically recommends Castrol.

Examples of LL04 oil are:
BMW Engine Oil LongLife 04 - BMW #83 21 0 398 504 [1 litre] - 0W-40
BMW Engine OIl LongLife 04 - BMW #83 21 0 398 507 [1 litre] - 5W-30

Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40
Castrol Formula RS 0W-40
Castrol SLX LL-04 0W-30
Castrol TXT LL-04 5W-30
Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W-30
Shell Helix Ultra AP 5W-30

Examples of LL01 oil are:
BMW Quality LongLife 01 - BMW 83 21 0 144 456 [1 litre] - 0W-40
BMW Quality LongLife 01 - BMW 83 21 0 144 450 [1 litre] - 5W-30

General Specs: ACEA A3/B3, API SJ/CD, ECII

Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30
Castrol Formula SLX LL01 0W-30
Mobil1 0W-40
Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40
Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30
Statoil Lazerway B 5W-30
Esso Ultron FE 0W-30

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

As a general rule LL04 spec oil will suit ANY BMW, petrol or diesel with a few exceptions, obvious one is S62 engine in either E39 or E52 and also the S54 - these are VERY specific and require Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 or Veedol Synthetic-Z 10W-60 ONLY. The previously approved Castrol Formula RS Racing Syntec SAE 10W-60 is NOT APPROVED by BMW anymore for this application [even though Castrol still market it...]

Older engines can be given a lower grade, but I prefer the higher spec for M50 engines [90-95 E34's]. M52 engines that are burning oil [Nicasil] can be experimented with, you've nothing to lose but the higher spec oil will pis* through them...

------------------------------------------------------------ ----

A lot of oils state that they are BMW Approved ...and they are...but often to LL98 spec  which is VERY easy to attain [looking at the companies who've been approved for it].
BP/Budget/Duckhams/Galp/LUKoil/Parnas/Sonol/TOP [yes, Tedcastle Oil] etc.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----

This info is out of date [09/2005] but will apply now I'd say.
LL01 is fine for anything pre ugly BMWs as a general rule [before E60/E90/E65]

BMWcare

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

PS: Ones in italics are what I use 95% of the time and are readily available in Ireland - but expensive [another hike in past month and I'm ordering :(

PPS: The dealers get Castrol in bulk tanks. But how many independents have the correct spec oil? Think about it, did people here realise there was a difference between Castrol Formula SLX LL-04 & LL-01? Or that Mobil 1 as sold normally is LL01 not LL04 ... ?? That's the reason I took the choice away from my customers. Using the above examples, oil for a M57 oilservice can be 45 euro [LL98] or 130 euro [LL04]. Personally, I'd use LL01 on the M57 [not the M57TU]

bmwcare@eircom.net

Edited by bmwcare
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2006 at 23:08

Is it not true that on Early 530d's the ecu allowed to much boost and thus killed the turbo premeturly. The warranty fix was new turbo and software upgrade for the ecu????

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2006 at 23:22
Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

Is it not true that on Early 530d's the ecu allowed to much boost and thus killed the turbo premeturly. The warranty fix was new turbo and software upgrade for the ecu????

Mick

apparently so, according to www.honestjohn.co.uk

"Turbo trouble with early 530s caused by ECU programme allowing higher boost than safe for turbo. Cured by replacing turbo, reprogramming ECU and thoroughly cleaning turbo inlet manifold and pipework because a blockage can cause the engine to run on its sump oil and self-destruct."

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic