Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew law regarding Children in cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New law regarding Children in cars
    Posted: 27-August-2006 at 13:13

Gentlemen.

Those of you based in the UK should be familiar with this by now, but I'll post it again, just in case anyone missed it, and those abroad (including the Irish boys) will need to be aware for when they are next over.

"From September 2006 it will be a legal requirement for drivers to ensure children under 12 years of age, and under 135 cm in height, must travel in the appropriate child restraint"

I fall foul of this one, my streetwise 10 year old son is a bit of a smurf, coming in at 129 cm's tall, so from next Friday we have to go back to putting him in a baby seat again.....he is thrilled !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 13:31
What amazes me is the number of parents who don't even make sure their children are sitting down in the car, never mind strapped into a baby seat!
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 15:06
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

....."From September 2006 it will be a legal requirement for drivers to ensure children under 12 years of age, and under 135 cm in height, must travel in the appropriate child restraint"

This is really going to annoy car thieves in Liverpool.....

Quote ....my streetwise 10 year old son is a bit of a smurf, coming in at 129 cm's tall....

rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubberknees50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 17:13

I take it this came from the same depertment that introduced/ is introducing the one animal one human handler vehicle rules, ie if you're taking dogs, cats, guinea pigs anywhere by road each one must have a human handler in the vehicle. Gonna cause havoc for events like Crufts.

Hmmm, Nigel, does that make you Papa Smurf.......

Edited by rubberknees50
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 21:10
I think what they should also bring in is a law against improperly fitted child seats. IIRC about 70% of child seats are wrongly fitted.

@ Ivan - did you draw that yourself? 
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 00:56
i'm 17, and only 134.5cm, back into the baby seat!

only joking

I'm 136cm!
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 08:46
Originally posted by Aidan316i Aidan316i wrote:

i'm 17, and only 134.5cm, back into the baby seat!

You would have only met one of the criteria anyhow (height) - as you are older than 12
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
popeye76s View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popeye76s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 10:55

Or a better solution, since the obesity rate in this country is on the increase, make them walk!!!

Popeye

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 12:26
Originally posted by popeye76s popeye76s wrote:

Or a better solution, since the obesity rate in this country is on the increase, make them walk!!!

Popeye

LOL

Spot on, the little fatties could do with some exercise rather than sitting in the back of a car stuffing crisps and chocolate down their throats

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by popeye76s popeye76s wrote:

Popeye

LOL

Spot on, the little fatties could do with some exercise rather than sitting in the back of a car stuffing crisps and chocolate down their throats

Why just pick on the politicians, the fat kids should walk too!

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 13:03

Gentlemen.

"From September 2006 it will be a legal requirement for drivers to ensure children under 12 years of age, and under 135 cm in height, must travel in the appropriate child restraint"

Are you sure this is an 'and' not an 'or'?

My youngest, just turned 9, is 140 cm.  [Probably tall given the amount of fertiliser he keeps in his shoes well it must be that that causes the smell nothing human could produce such a stench.]

Does he need one? 

His mother is only about 150.  When he grows another 11 cm, and if he is still under 12, he's going to have to sit in a child seat while his PORG mother doesn't!

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
amauvis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amauvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 14:26
I thought it was just a booster cushion? Is it a whole car seat thingy?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 14:57
Think that comes down to the size of the child??
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 15:03
How many times have you driven along, only to look in the car in front and think '..jeez, there is no-one driving that thing.. either that or they are looking through the steering wheel - not over it..'
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 16:12
You've seen my wife in the car then? 5 foot tall and has the seat tilted so far back you could sleep in it!! 
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 17:17

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

.....@ Ivan - did you draw that yourself? 

Amazing what you can find by trawling round the Net...

Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

You've seen my wife in the car then? 5 foot tall and has the seat tilted so far back you could sleep in it!! 

The car probably looks like it's driving by itself

Edited by Horsetan

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 23:49
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

Gentlemen.

Are you sure this is an 'and' not an 'or'?

My youngest, just turned 9, is 140 cm.  [Probably tall given the amount of fertiliser he keeps in his shoes well it must be that that causes the smell nothing human could produce such a stench.]

Does he need one? 

His mother is only about 150.  When he grows another 11 cm, and if he is still under 12, he's going to have to sit in a child seat while his PORG mother doesn't!

I quote :

The Wearing of Seat Belts Regulations prescribe the types of seat belt or child restraint (the "appropriate seat belt") that should be worn by children under 14 of different ages and sizes. Different provision is made depending on whether a child is a "small child" or a "large child". Regulation 10 amends the definition of a "small child" for the purposes of the Wearing of Seat Belts Regulations so that a "small child" is now a child aged under 12 years and less than 135 centimetres rather than 150 centimetres in height. (A "large child", for the purposes of the Wearing of Seat Belt Regulations, is a child under 14 who is not a "small child".)

Full details here if you are bored : http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20061892.htm

So I read that as, your child was a small child, and needs a seat (or cushion) before the 18th September, but after that will become a large child.

What if any enforcement where you live will depend on how much fuss your local "safety" groups make, who plays gold with the chief constable etc etc etc.

Your insurance company however ????????

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2006 at 00:03

Possibly more user friendly advice here (along with all the normal cow pooh of how many lives a years it will save etc)

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/ch ildcarseats.htm#01

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic