Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 Clutch rubbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGodkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 Clutch rubbing
    Posted: 05-September-2006 at 20:27

Hello all,

Having a bit of a problem with the clutch in my 92 325i. When i have the pedal depressed I am hearing a noise like the clutch is dragging slightly. It grabs great and everything else seems fine just this noise is really annoying and I am worried about it taking out the clutch in the long run. I tried to check the fluid level but can't locate the resivoir for the clutch. I had a look around the other topics and clutch problems and E36's seem to be pretty common. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Brad

1995 525i SE Touring (Missus's) Still searching for a replacement for mine :(
Sponsored Links

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2006 at 13:13

When you say dragging Brad would you saying it's like a whirring/rubbing type of sound and only appears when depressed and it disappears when you lift your foot off?

If so then that will probably be the clutch release bearing starting to get noisy. Once you can hear a bearing then it's on it's way out though it could last for ages.

Cheers Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
BGodkin View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGodkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2006 at 14:31

Thats exactly what it is sounding like. Re reading my post i wasn't very descriptive. lol. bit tired and such. It is now starting to squeal when i press in the clutch so I am betting you are right. I was hoping that it was maybe just a slave or master cylinder giving up the ghost and i wouldn't have to pull the trans off but now I am not so sure. Started really suddenly.

Cheers,

Brad

Beemerboy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beemerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 14:33
Originally posted by BGodkin BGodkin wrote:

I tried to check the fluid level but can't locate the resivoir for the clutch.

On the E36,the brake / clutch fluid share the same resevoir.

lawrencekellyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawrencekellyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 18:46

If it's only just started to go, go to a decent spares place and ask for the grease you get when you buy a clutch kit (I'm not 100% but I think it's special grease rather than just 'normal' grease like you'd use in other bearings). If there's an inspection plate on the bell-housing on these cars (again a bit vague I know, but I've only just bought my bmw!) open it up and take a look inside it, perhaps with somebody pressing up and down on the clutch pedal. The release bearing is pretty obvious, it's a donut shaped thing right in the middle of the clutch that pushes into the centre of it when the pedal's down. Smear a bit of the magic grease around it, this should be done when the bearing's first fitted, so don't think that you're putting something where it's not supposed to go. With a bit of luck, the squeeling will have gone away.

This isn't going to 'cure' anything, it's a short term fix that A: stops annoying noises, and B: helps get the last bit of life from your current clutch release bearing. Don't think that if the noise has gone then you've fixed it, it'll still need sorting as the bearing's still got the same amount of wear on it, just it'll last a few months longer than it did before you greased it.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 18:53
I wouldn't worry to much about it if it's just started. I drove a car with a noisey clutch release bearing for over a year and ended up trading it in before it needed changing.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
BGodkin View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGodkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 08:49

Just booked it for the clutch. Take it in on monday and pick it up tuesday. not too bad then. Sachs sport clutch to boot. It started getting really bad last saturday and wouldn't release enough to change gears. lol. Almost got stuck in a car park after reversing out as it wouldn't go into first. lol. Had to shut the car off then start it in 1st. lol.

Been the week from he11 to be honest. First The clutch packs it in then tuesday the missuses Audi decides to start overheating just out of the blue. lol. Now i am driving a mondeo loaner car for a week. looks like i have some strange version of the midas touch this week but instead of gold everything is turning to sh*t. Oh well can only get better from here.

Brad

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 10:12

How much is it going to cost for the clutch fitted?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
BGodkin View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGodkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 09:47
About 140 labour with me providing the clutch and about 250 total.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic