Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 brake light failure problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 brake light failure problem
    Posted: 07-September-2006 at 19:00

On my E36 328i Coupe, recently (since we had the rainy weather over the past couple of weeks - if this makes a difference) the OBC keeps displaying the '1 tail light failure' message.  Somtimes the OBC displays this message, sometimes everything is OK.  For example the other night on the way to the shops during the journey the message came up on the OBC.  On the way back home everything was fine.

The brake light bulb that stops working when the message comes up is the one on the n/s/r under the reverse light.  (When the message is not displayed on the OBC the bulbs are OK).  I have replaced the bulb a few times, but the bulbs I remove are never blown.  So obviously something else is casuing the OBC to display the this error message.

Does anyone know what else I can check or what could be causing this to happen?

Let The Good Times Roll
Sponsored Links

jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2006 at 19:25

Are you replacing the bulbs with BMW bulbs as cheaper halfrauds one's can play havoc with the OBC!!

Silly i know but it happened on my E34 and new BMW bulbs sorted it.

Could be loose bulb holder/dodgy connector's.

Sometimes the check control module can play up too,but this should be a last resort.

Hope this help's

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2006 at 19:30
I am using standard replacement bulbs available from my local motor accessory shop, A1 motorstores.  I'll pop to BMW tomorrow and get a couple of BMW ones and try those.  Thanks for the tip

Edited by DSK328i
Let The Good Times Roll
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2006 at 19:34
Well worth a try,post up the result's,let us know how you get on!
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 15:51

Went to BMW today to get a handfull of bulbs just incase some other bulbs ever go, at least I'll have some decent replacements ready.  Today the OBC was fine for several hours. I changed the bulb at BMW and as I set off and brake at the exit of the car park, on came the OBC (1 tail light failure)

When I got home I checked the bulb and it turns out I didn't put the bulb into the holder properly .  There is a visual difference in the bulb fillament between the cheap ones and the ones that I got of BMW today, mainly the colour of the bits inside the bulb.  Thanks again and I'll post on this thread in a day or two to let you know if its sorted.

Let The Good Times Roll
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 19:57

Nice one DSK328i,i am sure it will sort out your problem's.

The bulb's are better quality,as you say the filament's look slightly different,amazing that can make a difference!

I thought when i was having trouble's like your's they were trying to wind me up!

russ320 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 15:19
Had trouble with tail rear fog found it was the bulb holder which are not silly money from stealers along with bulb.
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 14:05

Been running around since Friday and all seems fine now, not had a single problem with the OBC and tail light failures since I put the BMW supplied bulbs in .. thanks for that tip

Should I get any further I'll remember to get new holders and have the connectors checked

Let The Good Times Roll
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 20:28
Thats great news! Glad it sorted your problem's,sometimes it's nice to fix something for a couple of quid rather than spending hours/money trying to find out what is wrong!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic