FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedengine rattle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 20:03

excluding the chugging, it is noise free when cold. it does only seem to be the motion of the engine causing the rattle.

as a further development, it actually seems to be the underneath of the car that the noise is coming from. it seems to be the driver's footwell, actually. i had my back box changed recently and it didn't do much to change the exhaust volume. could it be the cat maybe??

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 10:41

A knackered big end first shows upas a knocking on cold starting before the oil pressure has built up. Is there any evidence of this?

TBH I would get the MAF sorted out first then see how it sounds. I wouldn't worry too much about noises it makes when it's only running on 3 cylinders. Get it running on all 6 before you start worrying about other things.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 23:51

due to a dicky MAF sensor, my car will regularly run badly.

when starting from cold, it seems to run on three cylinders for about a minute, then splutters and runs perfectly fine with no other signs of ill health.

however, while waiting for the engine to come right, it makes a chug, chug, chug noise. between the chugs, theres a low clack type noise. i'm a little worried about this. the last time i heard this was in an engine with a knackered big end bearing. it also makes the same noise on the last couple of revs after switching the ignition off.

two seperate bmw indies have said the engine fine, but not in the context of this clacking noise.

my brother reckons it could be a worn engine mounting. any thoughts?

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic