Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedengine rattle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine rattle
    Posted: 10-September-2006 at 23:51

due to a dicky MAF sensor, my car will regularly run badly.

when starting from cold, it seems to run on three cylinders for about a minute, then splutters and runs perfectly fine with no other signs of ill health.

however, while waiting for the engine to come right, it makes a chug, chug, chug noise. between the chugs, theres a low clack type noise. i'm a little worried about this. the last time i heard this was in an engine with a knackered big end bearing. it also makes the same noise on the last couple of revs after switching the ignition off.

two seperate bmw indies have said the engine fine, but not in the context of this clacking noise.

my brother reckons it could be a worn engine mounting. any thoughts?

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 10:41

A knackered big end first shows upas a knocking on cold starting before the oil pressure has built up. Is there any evidence of this?

TBH I would get the MAF sorted out first then see how it sounds. I wouldn't worry too much about noises it makes when it's only running on 3 cylinders. Get it running on all 6 before you start worrying about other things.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 20:03

excluding the chugging, it is noise free when cold. it does only seem to be the motion of the engine causing the rattle.

as a further development, it actually seems to be the underneath of the car that the noise is coming from. it seems to be the driver's footwell, actually. i had my back box changed recently and it didn't do much to change the exhaust volume. could it be the cat maybe??

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
hayesy View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 20:06

could it be a loose exhaust cover rattling?  just a suggestion?

steve

1999 318 ISE,leather,sports body kit, rear spoiler,18" evo2 alloys.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 21:02

another possibility, but it may not explain the loud exhaust hum.

would a knackered cat rattle? i think it's time to go back to the exhaust centre...

(how bout a more specific question on exhausts, having done a little poking on the forum- assuming i have the infamous cat heatshield rattle, has a concensus been found on the solution. Removal??

Edited by beemerfool
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 22:36
Originally posted by beemerfool beemerfool wrote:

would a knackered cat rattle? i think it's time to go back to the exhaust centre...

Depends on how it fails.  If the monolinth disintegrates then yes, it is likely the CAT would rattle.  Or the CAt can just become seriously clogged up over time and too much unburnt fuel getting to it.  But firstly i would check the heat shields and all exhaust fiixings, to ensure none of those are the cause of the rattle.

Let The Good Times Roll
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 22:41

If the engine is stalling it will move side to side quite a bit. This along with a "soft" mount could be causing the exaust or something to bang of the bunder body.

Disconnect the MAF if you think its at fault. The car will run smooth enough with out it. If the problem still exists with the MAF disconected then its something else.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 23:25
Could be just layshaft rattle from the gearbox caused
by the poor running. Try dipping the clutch when
switching off and see if the noise goes away. This is
really common.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 18:28
absolutely right. pressed clutch, noise went away. switched off engine, no rattle. what does this mean, is there a repair in order??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 09:12
As I said, get the other problem sorted first then you may find that it goes away. It sounds like a symptom of the poor running.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 19:07

thinking about it now i'm a little confuddled because on one hand it could be exhaust related because i can hear rattling when going over rough roads and the exhaust sounds boomy. on the other hand, it most definitely disappeared when the clutch was pressed.

(peter, i plan to get the MAF sensor as soon as reasonably possible but i'm convinced that the rattle is not direcly related and the chugging is just highlighting something that's already there. i have no reason to believe this other than the rattle sounds similar. i may end up eating humble pie, though)

ps. i'm assuming nothing yet til i can get the car looked at, but, if it was a layshaft, how can it be rectified?

Edited by beemerfool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 21:27
I know what you are saying but either way it will be easier to diagnose the rattle once you have got the MAF related problem sorted. Is it just a case of getting the money to buy a new one?
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 03:46

when starting from cold, it seems to run on three cylinders for about a minute, then splutters and runs perfectly fine with no other signs of ill health.

however, while waiting for the engine to come right, it makes a chug, chug, chug noise. between the chugs, theres a low clack type noise. i'm a little worried about this. the last time i heard this was in an engine with a knackered big end bearing. it also makes the same noise on the last couple of revs after switching the ignition off.

two seperate bmw indies have said the engine fine, but not in the context of this clacking noise.

my brother reckons it could be a worn engine mounting. any thoughts?

Hi,

I'm sorry if this sounds cruel...

You say that 2 indies have said that there's nothing to worry about...
You say you have a faulty MAF...
You then ask about a noise...

Hmmmm...

------------------------------------------------------------ --

1. Fix the MAF
2. Why 2 indies???
3. If one of them will take you as a customer again - ask them about your rattle...

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

When you have someone you trust - stay with them...

My twopence worth...
BMWcare
bmwcare@eircom.net

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 19:21

oh spare me

starting a post with "i'm sorry if this sounds cruel" doesn't give you license to insult my intelligence.

a rattle which goes away when you press the clutch is probably nothing to do with the poxy maf. i've already spent a grand fixing other crap. if the maf isn't vital, it's going to wait. if i'm wearing out my gearbox, that's got priority.

the first indie couldn't diagnose a rotten shock, a cracked disc, flattened rear pads, a knackered roll bar link and a dis-inegrated rear brake retaining clip. the car sounded like a bloody shopping trolley and he could find nothing, so i'm not going to plead with him to take me back to shower him with money. he's the one in business, i can go wherever i want.

The second guy probably overlooked something, but he's got a long lead time and i want to do some of my own research to save myself another waste of time.

so, unless you just want to sound like a smartass, read the whole topic first.

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 03:41

however, while waiting for the engine to come right, it makes a chug, chug, chug noise. between the chugs, theres a low clack type noise.

You state that the "chug, chug, chug" and a "low clack" while WAITING FOR THE ENGINE TO COME RIGHT...

Maybe I'm overstepping the mark - but YOU STATE that the noise is there when the engine is not running right... When the "chugs" stop - does your noise stop?

Also, you state that the "poxy MAF" is faulty. If it is - change it.
Never mind the €1k you spent. If you leave a faulty MAF like that it will eventually destroy your CAT and possibly sensors... Your money, decide yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------

If it's insulting your intelligence, I apologise. But your post would lead anyone looking at it logically to deal with the MAF first.

Regarding the missed brake disks etc. - that's totally out of order, it should have been seen.

In addition, if the people dealing with your car are so incompetent - how do you know the MAF is "dicky"?

BMWcare

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 20:06

look at the title of the thread. RATTLE. show me any instance of a rattle that disappears when you press the clutch being caused by an MAF sensor. the rattle is nothing to do with the sensor unless it is wired to my clutch.

the 1 minute of chugging per trip exagerates the rattle. it actually IS there all the time but under normal circumstances it's fairly un-noticable and it is otherwise a completely seperate issue. i have bumps and scrapes, too. should i get a re-spray before i look at the gearbox?

the car barely leaves my driveway so i'm not concerned about "eventually" damaging the cat when i potentially have a serious immediate gearbox problem.

yes, it is my money. yes, it is my choice. am i running off to spend over €300 without even thinking about the gearbox. no way, jose. as i've previously posted - i have prioritised the rattle and i would greatly appreciate advice about the gearbox issue. i know i need the sensor. that's a foregone conclusion but i've de-prioritised it until i know what the cause of the rattle is.

FYI the only decent thing the first indie did when i went to him was plug it in and clear the MAF sensor faults.

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 17:57
Suit yourself...

The proper way to diagnose your RATTLE is to eliminate unnecessary vibrations. As you're not looking at it like that. We differ.

Just wondering...
Nah, nevermind - you probably will get all upset about spending money ;)

BMWcare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 20:16

I have to say Beermerfool, I agree with BMWcare. You need to sort the MAF first then you will have more chance of diagnosing the rattle.

Still, I understand what it's like to be a bit short of money while trying to fix a car that has a few things wrong with it. I do think sorting the MAF now is the best course of action in the long run though.

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 20:42

it's not the maf

the noise goes when you press the clutch

clear?

differ all you want but the car is only worth a couple of grand. What really makes no sense is to throw good money after bad. if the gearbox is falling out of it, it actually makes more sense to scrap it. what's the point of sending a brand new maf sensor to the scrapyard?

bmwcare, we're going round in circles here, could you do me a favour and read all the previous posts so you can gain a more rounded view of this topic. if you have any opinions or advice on my newfound gearbox/ clutch issue i'll be glad to hear them. i would ask that if you don't, please refrain from turning an autocondriac's desperate attempt to gain an insight into what may only be a common bmw "ism" into an opportunity for childish bickering. we all rely on these forums as a place to increase our knowledge of our chosen cars.

i have had more than my fair share of misfortune up to and including what is now my ninth car. i could write books on the trials and tribulations i've gone through and i'm affronted that you should sink to the point of insinuating that i'm too miserly to fix the sensor. To me, there's no such thing as don't bother fixing it, sell it on before it gets worse or pretend the problem's not there. every car i've sold on has been tip top. i've had re-sprays, engine re-builds, gearbox re-builds, windscreens, shocks, clutches, exhausts, chassis re-aligned, and so on. you name it, i've had it done. i have the money for all the maf sensors in the world, but not if the car is bound for the scrapyard. 

what's most valuable to me is my time- i certainly don't have time to start changing parts on a speculative basis, especially when i'm so sure of the issue. i have had gearbox/ clutch problems in the past. i've known plenty of mechanics who will tell you 'go away and try that' only to re-visit the same problem repeatedly. this is far more frustrating than the original problem and the expense.

if the gearbox isn't knackered, or is fixable, the sensor will be done then, not before i know whether or not the car has a fatal fault.

i am not determined to have the last word here but i will not humour any more squabbling. afterall, i am the only one here who has scrutinised the car and you have to give me some credit that i know what i'm talking about.

for your convenience i will consider this issue closed and i won't be posting in this topic again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2006 at 08:25

I wasn't saying the rattle was the MAF, but by fixing that problem it will make it easier to find out what is causing the rattle.

Anyway if you do find out the car is scrap after fixing the MAF, just take it off and sell it. You will get back at least half what you paid for it. Also have you tried getting a MAF from the a BMW Breaker?

Other than the rattle does the box feel ok when you're driving the car?

You say the noise is comming from under the car on the passenger side. Have you tried actually getting under the car when the engine is started to see if you can locate the source. There are so many things that.

WRT to Andyboy's comments about Layshaft rattle, it's a shame he hasn't been back to the thread to comment on whether this is a bad thing or not. I've never heard of it myself but that doesn't mean much  

Edit: just read your last coment, so I guess you'll never read this.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic