Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsqueaking alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squeaking alternator
    Posted: 12-September-2006 at 18:33

recently, my engine seems to have developed a prominent squeaking noise. it seemed to come from the alternator area and when you switch the lights on, it increases slightly.

if i am correct about it being the alternator, how can i remedy this? will a scrapper do if i can't repair it? will an alternaro do from a smaller engined car?

as a sub question, is there an air hose going to the alternator or have i had an episode?

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
Sponsored Links

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 22:58

Not sure about the 325i, but the M52 6cyl engines do have an air duct that goes to the altenator.

Are you sure that the squeaking noise is not a slipping fan/v belt?  As altenators tend to just die slowly.  If it is your altenator, you can get one from a salvage vehicle, but personally for the type of component it is, I'd only get a reconditioned unit with a decent warranty personally. 

Let The Good Times Roll
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 10:33
My car (m52) has started doing a similar thing. I think it's probably a noisy fan belt and I'm going to get it replaced at next service.
Try that before replacing the alternator - it's better to start cheap!
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 10:50
Originally posted by beemerfool beemerfool wrote:

or have i had an episode?

Probably

As others have said, change the belt first. If it is the alternator i'd be tempted just to get one from a breakers. A reconditioned on may last a lot longer but will cost a lot more. You should be able to get one from a scrappy for about £20. I needed a power steering pump for my 328 and I got one for £25 from a BMW breaker. It only came with a 28 day guarrantee, but it cost about 10 times less than a brand new one. 

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Purplebeemer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purplebeemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 12:30

If it is the alternator a good auto elec should only charge about £25 to repair, must cheaper then a new unit. I had mine repaired 12 months ago and its still going strong.

It's normally the belt that will make  squeaking noise though

lawrencekellyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawrencekellyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 18:53
My trick is to get one as cheap as possible, while yours is still working, and then have that one reconditioned. Then you can fit your recon one at your lesuire, so long as your old one doesn't go bang, then sell the 2nd hand one on ebay or something for peanuts for somebody else to recondition. Think of it as recycling...
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neileg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 13:20
The back stret test for a slipping belt is to spray a drop of WD40 on the belt (a drop!). If the noise goes away, it's the belt, if it doesn't, I'd think about the water pump as these are more likely to squeak before they die than the alternator.
Cheers, Neil
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 21:40

Originally posted by neileg neileg wrote:

The back stret test for a slipping belt is to spray a drop of WD40 on the belt (a drop!). If the noise goes away, it's the belt, if it doesn't, I'd think about the water pump as these are more likely to squeak before they die than the alternator.

did this and the squeak went away so top marks to all. am i right in thinking that this is a very straight forward and consequently cheap job?

gas brake honk. gas brake honk. honk honk punch. gas gas gas         '92 E36 325i saloon
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 15:41

Its a fairly staright forward and easy job and cheap too.  A belt will probably be about £6-10 ish, although I personally prefer to use 'conti-tech' belts rather than the cheapest ones available.  Easy job for the DIY type who knows what he's doing or about £15/20 ish at a local garage to fit.

Let The Good Times Roll
beemerfool View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 20:49

it's going on the list. i have a feeling my mechanic is going to have to get used to looking at my ugly mug!!

thanks to all

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic