Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKoni shocks adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koni shocks adjustment
    Posted: 13-September-2006 at 18:50

My M3 is fitted with Koni sport shocks all-round. I think the part numbers are:

PD80-2522SP1 and PD86-2277SP1

I understand that the only way to adjust them is when they are removed from the car.

At the moment the front feels really hard (crashy on potholes) and the back quite soft. Handling wise seems to have good turn in and, so far, no real trace of oversteer.

I am about to change the springs for eibach pro-kit EW2003201 & EW2003102 so I thought I might take the opportunity to check out and adjust the shocker settings.

Has Anybody got any recommendations for how I should set them up for everyday road use.

I have had a search of past posts but thought I would see if anybody had anything new.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Sponsored Links

piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 10:25

Peter

Can't advise on fronts (though might be the same)

For rears you have to

1. Take dampers off

2. Open to full extension

3. Remove plastic split washer at bottom of rod

4. Remove rubber grommet at inner top of housing using something like wire coat hanger

5. Push damper fully closed which will engage dogs to give adjustment. Try it 2/3 way to fully firm.

This procedure is shown on Koni website.

Cheers

Piers

piers66
Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 16:11
The front shocks are adjusted on the car. In the middle of the top mount there should be a bit that sticks up (looks like a screwdriver blade) and you turn this clockwise/anti clockwise to adjust suspension. I had my old Koni's set about half to three quarters of a turn for the road. On my KW suspension clockwise will soften the front shocks. The rears as Piers says need to be removed from the car and adjusted. I found it easier to remove the top mount to get the rubber grommets out and mine are set at 1 full turn. Fully hard is two full turns on my shocks. My rear shocks are marked at the bottom as to which way softens and hardens them.   HTH 
E30 M3's never die
Lancastrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 17:51

Piers: Thanks. I had a quick look at the koni website and had noted that there were instructions there but had not read them in detail. Your description is a great help. 

Originally posted by Andy S Andy S wrote:

The front shocks are adjusted on the car. In the middle of the top mount there should be a bit that sticks up (looks like a screwdriver blade) and you turn this clockwise/anti clockwise to adjust suspension. I had my old Koni's set about half to three quarters of a turn for the road. On my KW suspension clockwise will soften the front shocks. The rears as Piers says need to be removed from the car and adjusted. I found it easier to remove the top mount to get the rubber grommets out and mine are set at 1 full turn. Fully hard is two full turns on my shocks. My rear shocks are marked at the bottom as to which way softens and hardens them.   HTH 

Andy, thanks for that. Unfortunately I have established that there are two types of struts. One that you can adjust in-situ and one that you have to remove from the car and remove the spring and then adjust (similar to the rear ones) then put back together, reinstall and hope you have got it right - or do it all again. Of course, mine are the latter type.  

Edited by Lancastrian
E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 13:07

Peter

If you get stuck with rears then give me a call on 07831229638. Once you realise that the rubber grommet is there & needs removing it is pretty straightforward - but I remember dicking around for ages before it dawned on me. If I had bought front konis then I would have got the "off-car" adjustment version...

If you feel the need for "next level" on car adjustable then I'm very happy with the GAZ stuff I've fitted

Piers

piers66
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic