Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 8 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuiet in here!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quiet in here!!!
    Posted: 29-September-2003 at 12:02
No posts for over a month?!?!?!
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2003 at 12:37
they are all out enjoying their e31's
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2003 at 12:12

Hi Sniff,

Yes been a while (I had a long weekend).  How's your 8 going?

Ian

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2003 at 05:44
Just had 12 weeks to play with my 8 at home... serviced twice (annual and oil). Approaching 120K and running like a dream. Now in Dubai with my 8 gathering dust at home. Its hard.

aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2003 at 13:10

G'Day Phil, you know that centre air vent I swapped over the other day with one from a parted out 850ci - cracked again in more or less the same spot. Must be a stress point.  Should have spent the money on floor mats. Oh well.  Ian.  

Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2003 at 16:20
Well we had the Herbstfest here a couple of weeks ago (my town's smaller version of the Oktoberfest, only 3 huge beer tents!) and some £$%^&*" scratched my 8. One deep scratch on the left rear wing, two on the door and two on the bonnet. It's my own fault, I should have put it away, but I was driving it a lot that weekend and the other car was in the garage and I din't want to bother swapping them.

Anyway, around 1750 Euros worth of damage to put right. I was NOT a happy bunny. I'll have to start saving up...

But this weekend I had a friend over, and we took a drive down to the mountains, visited the Eagle's Nest, Koenigsee, Berchtesgaden and a few other places, and I realised once again why I bought this car. Fantastic weekend. I am really looking forward to the drive back to the UK in December!
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2003 at 01:29
...ouch.  People who key cars should be given a warning shot to the head.
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2003 at 08:45
Hi guys

Sniff
If only to catch one in the act!!! I've found some on the boot of mine recently too. Started using the Clifford anti-w**ker alarm as well recently. Need to find out how to modifty it for 50,000 Volt broadsides instead of the 'bark'. Still the mini octoberfest sounded alright to me. Love to see some of the places you described. I'll be back in the UK for two weeks at Xmas (It will be my first Xmas and New Year at home in 8 years) I'm still up for a Northern gathering of 8's. JohnO, whom I met at the Tatton Park BMW show seemed interested as well.

Ian
Re- the cracked centre air vent. Was it a tight fit? Consider, if you get another piece, making some play (a small amount) with a round file in the replacement part screw holes if they are not threaded. I'd be interested to know if its a un/common problem. You mention mats. I met a rep from Motorforce at the Tatton Park BMW show (www.motorforce.co.uk) who reckoned they can retail a full set of E31 mats for 40 quid. I looked at what they had there for other models and I couldn't tell the difference. Felt like the real thing. They'll ship worldwide.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2003 at 00:14
I haven't really used mine since going to the 'Ring in it late August, tax ran out Sept so I've done the SORN thing. Still fire it up once a month though, run it for 30 mins and take it for a run up and down the lane to keep it all working, including the air con and ALL the electric bits.......
I had all the fluids changed in July so it should be okay. I'll take a view on selling/keeping it in January.
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2003 at 12:01
Must be expensive as a garage queen. I've only been away a week and only have my wife to run it at the weekends......
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2003 at 17:45
Well, I bought it for £16'000 in Feb and with 68'000 miles I'm hoping to get most of that back. I think it'll be worth about £14'500 or so in Feb because it's such a mint car with the right wheels and extras. You can buy such a sh*t 8 Series for £10'000 with a host of faults, it's cheaper to spend £15'000 and buy a good one with a BMW warranty.
Also, the less I drive it, the more I realise what a stonking car it is when I DO drive it! Absence makes the farts go Honda as the saying goes....
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 10:18
You are right about the warranty. Adds $$$$'s to the value. Now that BM in the UK are continuing with the warranty for 8's indefinitely (regardless of mileage or age); it should keep the prices up there for the older cars that still have it. Can't say that I'll never sell mine but at this point in time I would only sell it for another.
RobinS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 17:04
I have been moving house and office. Got back into 850 yesterday, found that the wipers have seized!! How on earth can I get these fixed without enormous costs. Anyone got any ideas?
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2003 at 05:57
If I were you I'd find out exactly whats wrong (cost you nothing). Get some quote from a BMW independent or lesser garage. You could probably get an idea of how easy it would be to sort out yourself from the E31 message board at www.roadfly.org. I'd be very surprised if those guys cannot fix you up with a procedure and maybe some pics as well. I'm not at home at the mo and don't have access to my BMW ETK or TIS. Anyone help??

Parts... Try eurocarparts or german&swedish. Don't discount your local BM dealer. I often underestimate the cost of parts.

Let us know how you get on

Edited by PhilC
Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2003 at 09:54
Are they definitely seized or just not working? I had something similar and it turned out to be a blown fuse.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic