Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLower control arms...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower control arms...
    Posted: 16-September-2006 at 16:31
How are you meant to remove the inner bolt? 
Sponsored Links

Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 17:23

It is a taper pin (like a track rod end). Not sure how you would split it with the crossmember in the car. Maybe a wedge type splitter?

When I changed my crossmember it came out with the bottom arms still attached. I then used a big lever and several applications of a large hammer to the area of the pin to "shock" it out.

Edited by Lancastrian
E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 17:34
Ive got a fork ball joint splitter so thats ok, its getting to the nut on top thats the issue. Not enough room for a socket and breaker, so looks like ill have to go buy a 22mm spanner and struggle with that unless anyone has any suggestions?
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 18:07
Ok got the nearside off, off side is worse due to the exhaust and heatshield, only a spanner will fit, if that.

Now some fun getting the bush off! Any tips? Im thinking just get the blow torch out?
andygriff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2006 at 13:22

Slacken off the 22mm nut bet leave a coulple of threads.

Place a large lever bar between the arm and the subframe and apply a moderate load downwards against the arm - then strike the arm at 90 deg close to the vertical pin. You should find the arm taper pin will seperate from the bore in the subframe without too much hammer swinging.

Not recommended if you are re using the arm - especially on an aluminium arm !

1988 E30 M3 S14B23
1995 E36 M3 S50B30 Saloon
Honda RC30
BMW Senior Technician.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic