Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe new 5-Series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new 5-Series
    Posted: 20-September-2006 at 17:58
To be launched in 2009....

This is how BMW's new 5-series saloon is shaping up, three years ahead of its 2009 launch. The sixth-generation 5-series (codenamed F10) is bigger yet lighter, and it should be even better to drive. Most significantly, the design should be far less provocative than the current model's

Inside information leaked to CAR suggests that the flame surfaces, eagle-eye headlamps and eccentric cutlines of today's BMWs won't appear on the 5-series Mk6. The Munich mid-ranger will be a modern-looking and elegant car, wider, with a longer wheelbase and a more dynamic, ground-kissing stance.

The 5-series has BMW's typical wheel at each corner-look, and the glasshouse looks more coupe-like. The rear end is currently looking a little too close to the Hyundai Sonata's for comfort, however.

Despite being bigger, the base Five will weigh less than the outgoing model, thanks to the use of more exotic, lighter materials. But the rear-drive chassis can be loaded up with clever (and heavy) gadgets.

The 5-series will pioneer active rear suspension kinematics capable of coping with higher g-forces, stability-enhancing active yaw control and the next-generation electronic damper control (EDC) which acts on each wheel individually. Active steering and Dynamic Drive (adjustable anti-roll bars) are familiar options.

The base model will be shod with 17-inch wheels, with fatter 18 and 19in rims optional.

BMW hasn't forgotten about environmental initiatives, though. The diesel engines should get urea injection – as Mercedes is pioneering – to cut nitrogen oxide emissions. A stop/start system and upshift indicator for six-speed manual versions will help reduce fuel consumption, and the engines should be biofuel- and synfuel-compatible. Brake energy-regeneration, in combination with adaptive alternator control, should also save up to 10 percent more fuel too.

520i 218bhp 2.5-litre
525i 238bhp 3.0-litre
530i 272bhp 3.0-litre
535i 306bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo
540i 367bhp 4.8-litre V8
550i 408bhp 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8
520d 175bhp 2.0-litre four
530d 204bhp 2.5-litre six
         245bhp 3.0-litre six
535d 300bhp 3.0-litre six

The new Five is longer and wider but sits lower than the current saloon. And with the longer wheelbase, there's more room for rear passengers' legs and heads.

Inside, BMW returns to the driver-oriented cockpit. The centre console is angled towards the person in charge, while the new X5's handsome new joystick gear selector should figure. Instead of a conventional handbrake, F10 features an electro-hydraulic parking brake.

Major changes include a brand-new instrument panel with optional head-up display, improved iDrive with a more intuitive feel and a more logical menu structure. A new draught-free four-zone air conditioning system, dubbed Airwave, is standard on all models, sources say.

The next M5 supersaloon is scheduled to arrive in late 2010, some six months after the Touring (codenamed F11). It should feature an even more potent 5.5-litre 550bhp version of the awesome V10, and it will definitely get a six- or seven-speed derivative of the twin-clutch transmission that's on the way. That means the sequential SMG cogworks as fitted to today's M5 bite the dust.

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Sponsored Links

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 22:04
Those images are nothing more than photoshopped guesswork.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 22:08
very convincing photoshoppery, i wonder if they are Worth100 competitors?

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 08:57

I have to agree with coasting there. Why would anyone in BMW release pictures of the new 5 three years beofre it's launch. Also the front end looks just like the new 3 series, in fact the whole car could be a slightly scaled up 3.

As for the engines, the 520 is going to be a 218bhp 2.5!? why not actually do a petrol version with under 200bhp for people who aren't as bothered about performance but don't want a diesel? 

Stiil it looks a lot better than the current 5 series, mind you that wouldn't be hard.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 13:05
The front end is precisely that Peter, a photoshopped 3-series.  People make a living out of doing stuff like this unfortunately.  The whole load of it is total and utter drivel with little or no basis of fact.

Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 23:34
The photo was originally a press shot of the E60 M5.

its just been photoshoped with 3 series headlamps, and lexus rear ones.

And if this car is due in 2009, why is there no hydrogen option? BMW are suppose to be bringing in Hydrogen models.

The 5 series facelift hasn't happened (yet!) so i'd be doubtful to see the next generation of photos already.

I havn't even heard of a spy shot of the next gen 5er
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 08:43

Originally posted by Aidan316i Aidan316i wrote:

The 5 series facelift hasn't happened (yet!) so i'd be doubtful to see the next generation of photos already.

I havn't even heard of a spy shot of the next gen 5er

Exactly, and there won't be any spyshots for a good 18 months either, mainly because they won't even have a vehicle built yet.

I don't know of any car company in the world that makes a habit of having a fully road worthy next generation vehicle out there....3 years ahead of of release!!!

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 09:11

I followed the original link and found that this all came from Car magazine. There is a section where you can add your comments on the article so I basically said that I doubted the pictures had come from BMW and that they were probably nothing more than pure speculation.

However I then noticed the disclaimer saying that not all comments are added and that they are subject to approval first. What's the betting they never appear on the site  

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic