Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWindscreen washer jets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMadWicked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windscreen washer jets
    Posted: 22-September-2006 at 17:00

Hi,

I have a 318CI COUPE E46 face lift model and have a problem with my washer jets. When I pull the washer lever I get a small low pressure squirt of water then nothing. I've checked the washer jet nozzles with a needle and there's no blockage.

I read in the forums that there is a filter in the washer jet tank that can get blocked. Can anyone shed any light on how to check the filter in the washer jet tank? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

E46 COUPE - tell me more - knowledge is M Power!
Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 19:41

Have you by chance, checked to see if there is any fliud in the screenwash tank?

It's just you don't mention the obvious in your description of the fault.

Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old shape! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 21:49

Assuming the filler tank is full.........

I had this sort of problem on the E36.  Under the jets, (Under the soundproofing cloth layer of the bonnet) you will see a small white contraption on the water pipes which serves no other purpose (That I can see) than as a one-way valve to stop water going backwards down the pipe.  This will have either split or is blocked.  Remove it, connect the pipes up without it. May need to buy a length of pipe from a tropical fish shop (Cheaper than a dealer or car part shop)

Why it's on there I dunno, we lived without them since water jets were invented?????

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neileg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 12:07

Originally posted by Old shape! Old shape! wrote:

Why it's on there I dunno, we lived without them since water jets were invented?????

The idea is that it stops the water draining back into the tank so that you get instant output when you operate the washers. Having said that, I've chucked mine out and and it still works. On the E30, the n/r valve is in the tee piece. I replaced this with a plain tee piece and it still works.

Cheers, Neil
BadMadWicked View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMadWicked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 12:08

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I did some tinkering around over the weekend and I've solved the problem. I suspect this is a common fault so for future reference here's what I did:

On the side of the washer jet tank (where the rubber pipe comes in) there's a plastic cover protecting what I assume is the pump.

1) Unclip the wire connected to the pump and then unclip the plastic casing from the side.

2) The rubber pipe is still attached to the pump, but you should now be able to rotate the pump clock wise and lift it out from the washer jet tank revealing a hole. If there is a filter blockage (as in my case) then very little water will come through. If the filter is not blocked water will pour out of this hole, meaning you have another problem - look for more advice on the forum.

3)  Here's the messy bit - lift out using your fingers what looks like a black rubber washer (the filter) from the hole and (assuming your washer tank is full) water will pour out all over the shop. Use your thumb to plug the hole.

4) Get someone to clean up the filter while you plug the hole. Mine was full of something that resembled wall paper paste.

5) Put the filter back in, keep plugging the hole as water will now pour out through the clean filter. Insert the water pump and rotate (anti-clockwise) to its original position, clip on the plastic cover and connect the wire removed above.

6) Finally, pull the washer jet lever and soak your friends as I did, but be happy that your windscreen is now clean!

Hope this info is useful for anyone who runs into this problem. I would appreciate any feedback (good or bad) my email address is:

bmw_m1@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

BadMadWicked   

E46 COUPE - tell me more - knowledge is M Power!
bingus666 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingus666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 09:47

Hey guys, had the same problem recently on my E36 - ebay is a great resource - got 2 new non-return valves for erm... postage cost (dude was giving them away), replaced the old ones, went to the stealers (very rare occasion) got new nozzles & hey presto working perfectly!

318IS Coupe mtec
Ford Thunderbird Coupe V6

((oo==oo))
they mostly come out at night, mostly...
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 21:21
Just had the same problem on my E30 Touring so it looks like it affects all E30/E36/E46 3-series! You'd think BMW could have sorted it by now.

On the plus side, the T-valve was only about £3 from the dealer so it wasn't a disaster.

Fitting it was a bit of a fiddle - had to stand with one foot on the strut housing & the other on the intake manifold so I could reach comfortably!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic