Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedupdated pics 635manual conv

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: updated pics 635manual conv
    Posted: 23-September-2006 at 14:29

Heres some pics of my e24maNUAL conversion and the E28 sport Auto conversion, this picture also includes fiting of a genuine mtec kit which i was dodgy about- Bilstein Shocks and Kmac adj rear bushes.  also in pics is a friends E30 conversion with Nissan SR20 turbo which should be interesting,

Only problem i had since E24 conversion is the uni joints (held by alan key bolts onto rear hubs) coming looose, happened on a sunday morn when i was hungover on the midlle of a city freeway! i managed do them up my hand and nurse it to the shed, please make sure both surfaces and threads are immaculate and locktite the bolts if you split these!

There was slight play in the centre uni on the tailshaft, i didnt get it fixed as im gona let it get really bad and then get a one piece tailshaft. under hard acceleration in 1st it starts a bit of a vibration,

Also some times my powersteering is really heavy but then lightens up all of a sudden??? brakes are never effected. like theres air in the system. sometimes its bad and its as if the fluid warms up but then it goes right, its a fight to keep it in the straight ahead position when it happens, this is 2 weeks after the conversion when i did change a leaking pipe, i did drive it when there was only traces of fluid left in the system so possibly damaged the pump but doubtful...

Another porblem in traffic in gear the throttle is somewhat lumpy right down low - its almost like an on off switch or wear in the TPS carbon track and you have to really be gentle or use clutch or it sends an unnecessary jolt down the drive train every time i try to pick up speed with the traffic, suspect throttle positon sensor its not a bosch one but a real agricultural lookin thing with a microswitch.

Finally i plan to remove the cat from my exhaust system next workbreak, im going to cut open 2 of the 3 expansion boxs and remove the innards and weld them up again, the car is slightly too quiet and  it must be killing performance, i get the feeling i may have the restricted engine as USa spec as it has a carbon canister for tank vapour, how would i tell?

Also put in a pic of another friends mazda 13b bridge ported turbo rotary as i hadnt been in one before, this thing changed my mind  on everthing i knew on engines, its a f***in g animal , The crankcase is dowled to stop the engine twisting apart, on a good chilly morning it will pick the 2 front wheels off the road for a bit!

Regards

Rory

Edited by twincamsham
Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Now available Australia Wide.
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 22:43
the gold one looks fantastic Rory

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
twincamsham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 01:28

Thanks Stephen,

Pretty happy with it, Just be nicer a little bit quicker- but if you go down that road were does it stop!

Im planning an 8psi Vortech s/charger but not definate yet, Half tempted to go with an RB25det or 3sgte... as i crawl under the table!

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 01:40

P.S

Im missing the detachable tow eye cover for the rear Mtec valance, its $280 from Bmw here which is a tad steep for a piece of plastic.

I cant seem to post on big coupe- does anyone know of anyone that might have a spare one of these, even a fiberglass one would be ok, iv heard these kits can be bought aftermarket in fiberglass/?

Any help appreciated

Rory

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
rattusM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 11:48

Your gold 635 looks fantastic, really do prefer the pre-highline models with the chrome bumpers, and the m-tech kit looks good on the car which I know is not too everybody's taste.

I assume you had to change the braking system etc when doing the Manual conversion?

Kevin

Edited by rattusM3
E28 Alpina B9
E28 M535i (now a donor for B9)
E24 M6 (work has started to get back up to scratch)
E30 M3 (New Engine (almost), Cams, Brakes, ECU, Suspension, Alpha-N - Thanks Stannard Motors)
E39 530i Touring - Now Sold, sob, sob
E39 523i Touring
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 14:43

Thanks again, I must get some new pics now i have it properly cleaned since conversion it was a bit grubby in above pic,

No i didnt touch the braking system? There wasnt any need to. just needed bits installed for the clutch obviously

Regards

Rory

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 20:24

What springs/dampers are you using.

Looks really low.  Maybe too low

It's got to be 2 inch lower than my lowered M635!!

Ian

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 20:42

That looks very sweet Rory! Like them both a lot mate

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 00:45

Hello,

Yea its pretty low, i wouldnt say to low just on the borderline theres prob another inch MAX before things get really silly  but il leave that for the Belgian Boys!!, you have to cross some gutters/Ramps at an angle to avoid grazing but im used to that.

Im using M535i Bilsteins and Eibach springs with about 3 coils lobbed off by die grinder. I have a habit of doing that with lowered springs I have never found it to weaken the spring or change it, the fact that its a lowered spring means its stiffer already so it works well,(This is not general advice of any kind i should add..) the car is just stiff enough now without being crashy.

I was going to get coilovers but at the end of the day its not a track car and i have no intention of getting under it with a 'C' spanner to raise it for any reason so there was no point.

Theres 235/45 tyres on it now which i want to change for 235/35 profile as its slightly too much profile and dwarfing my 17s, this should give me the low slung apperance im after. I have yet to try the 19s on it.

Cheers

Rory

Edited by twincamsham
Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 20:34

good work fella!

nice one!

bit too low for my tastes, but WTF it looks the business anyway.

I like the chrome bumper ones too, well I should do, I've got two of 'em and another for spares....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twincamsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 22:58

Haha Cheers Brucey

Theres no such thing as too low!

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 15:46

Rory,

You shouldn't have any problems fitting 19's, I saw an e24 at santa pod on saturday slung low on 20's!

Click to view full size image

Paul

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 21:53
Paul, are you sure you didn't just Photoshop those in? 

Looks like it has zero suspension travel & no steering lock!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 18:14
No Andy - that was a genuine car, you can ask Ivan (Horsetan) as he was there as well. You couldn't get your fingers in and there wasn't any rubbing (although I have a suspicion that it may have been trailered in)

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by e34silver530i e34silver530i wrote:

You couldn't get your fingers in and there wasn't any rubbing

The mind boggles!

Originally posted by e34silver530i e34silver530i wrote:

I have a suspicion that it may have been trailered in

I have a suspicion you may be right!

I often have a mind to challenge one of the many chav boy racers with similarly slammed ride heights to a race against my little Touring. If I pick a road with speed humps I'd have 'em for dead!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 17:22

I couldn't tell you for definate as it was there before I arrived

Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic