Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWater Marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Marks
    Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:16

I washed the car on Monday night using the two bucket method.  Getting the hang of it now and I can really see the amount of muck coming off the car and into the rinse bucket.

However the two bucket method still takes me a while and after rinsing off the first panels, I get water marks while I am washing and rinsing off t'other parts of the car.

I rinse the car with no hose attachment and the water does just run off in sheets but I still get some blobs of water on the paintwork.

Is there anything I can do other than being a lot quicker when I'm washing the car to avoid getting water marks?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:33

I have never heard of the '2 bucket method' lol.

But i wash the car as follows;

Stage 1 - roof, windscreen, bonnet, rear screen and boot lid - rinse

Stage 2 - entire drivers side and rear end then rise all washed areas so far

Stage 3 - entire passenger side and front bumper and rinse all washed areas so far.

Satge 4 - rinse the whole car once more and then dry with a chamois.

Basically as I go around washing the car, I keep rinsing all the washed areas which keeps them from drying out and when I finally finish washing the car I give it another rinse to ensure its all still wet.  Then I use a high quality synthetic cloth to dry the whole car and this is the only way I can ensure I am left with no water marks.

I clean the wheels either prior to washing the car or straight after washing it.

Let The Good Times Roll
BMW328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:54

If you've got a good microfibre towel for drying off then the water marks shouldnt be a problem.

simply rinse off again and mop it up with the microfibre cloth for a perfect streak and watermark free finish.

the big boss dogg Pete will be along to confirm this shortly I hope.

his machine is super clean, even BMW say so!!!

Well done for the win at phoenix Pete

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 19:53

I too get water marks on my car if i wash in the heat

a going over with quick detailer after removes them

or you could use de-ionized water if you are realy fussy lol

Tesco sell a mineral free water,but i aint tried it

Edited by Pete330
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
seanwoodrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanwoodrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 11:07
Try the Flash autodry, i just use the auto dry feature as it uses filtered water and leaves no water mark's. I wash the car the same way as DSK328i otherwise......
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 14:10

Thanks lads.

Will try that next time.

Cheers

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Jeff Spangle View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 14:32
Meguiars do a car wash called NXT Car Wash it has a water softener in it. It does seem to work well in a hard water area.

This may help.
hoggr View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 21:58
I fitted another water butt set at a height low enough so that she can't fill the watering can and throw the contents all around the garden. Rain water does not leave marks and that is why I use it and not because we have a water meter.
Robert
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 22:26

Originally posted by hoggr hoggr wrote:

I fitted another water butt set at a height low enough so that she can't fill the watering can and throw the contents all around the garden. Rain water does not leave marks and that is why I use it and not because we have a water meter.

I take it has some sort of filter to get rid of all the bad stuff that comes down with the rain?

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2006 at 13:09
I use the Meguiars gold class shampoo and the yellow microfiber cloths to dry her off with.  Seems to do the trick nicely.

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
Bry535 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bry535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2006 at 12:37
A little tip to aid drying, spritz wet panels with some quick detailing spray, this help to break the surface tension making water easier to mop up
billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgates e30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2006 at 18:32
i tend to dry as i go along, so long as your careful when you rinse wash and rinse when near dry panels you should be ok

so i do roof, front/rear screen and side windows (and a, b, c pillars down to the window line), then rinse dry etc

then do bonnet and boot lid, rinse, dry etc, then along one side, rinse dry etc

then other side etc

then front end, and then finally rear end, again rinsing and drying in between each end of the car

so long as your carefull not to spray over the entire car when you rinse it works quite well, and any bits where you've over lapped just dry up again
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
geriv View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
^^^ what’s going on???!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:43

Originally posted by Bry535 Bry535 wrote:

A little tip to aid drying, spritz wet panels with some quick detailing spray, this help to break the surface tension making water easier to mop up

I was amazed when someone showed me this trick, at how much easier it is to dry the car.  Had completely forgotten about it, had planned on getting some detailer for this purpose only.  Must get me some  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic