Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNurburgring in Sept/Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nurburgring in Sept/Oct
    Posted: 04-October-2006 at 22:12

Well, it just keeps getting better with each visit to the ring.
Now with 5 in our group of E30 M3 mean machines.

Met up with the usual suspects and had fun on the ring in the dry and wet, and off it (by that I mean in the evenings). We found a pub with a Dutch barman who re-opened it on a Sunday night just for us - top bloke.

Managed to get some good video footage on the track especially following Steve who is now running a M3 CSL (lucky man), will sort this out eventually and try to post.

I think I may have Kevin in his Cecotto as well, showing his usual superb control in the wet, even on Toyo R888's

Not really one for pics as usually too busy just having fun but have taken some this time, so here we go:

Somewhere in Belgium, we had to pay first then fill up with petrol which was new. Must be the way we looked - Richard!!!!

At the Ring - From Left to Right: Keith's beautiful Evo2 M3, Richard's lovely fully specced white M3 (nice wheels), Mark's lovely (bargain) black M3, Roy's Super-Duper (with way too much magazine exposure) red M3, oh and my red thing in the corner.

Just having a bit of a rest - poor things.

Running Left and Clockwise: Steve and his lovely Wife, Mark, Roy, Kevin and Gill, Richard (yes I can see what you are doing), oh and Norm - more on Norm later. Keith was probably ordering more beers, just for himself.

Not sure what I have said about Mark's driving but Roy looks scared.

And all the gang together, along with Keith Powel the Rock Star, honest look it up on the internet, it's true.
My word, doesn't Uwe look handsome with those bunny ears.

Ah yes, Norm.
Really really really top bloke who amongst other things is a professional racing driver from the good old USA, and it showed.
I am sure his reputation grew somewhat during the couple of days due to the fact he ended up giving more passenger laps than the ring taxi

Kevin

Edited by rattusM3
E28 Alpina B9
E28 M535i (now a donor for B9)
E24 M6 (work has started to get back up to scratch)
E30 M3 (New Engine (almost), Cams, Brakes, ECU, Suspension, Alpha-N - Thanks Stannard Motors)
E39 530i Touring - Now Sold, sob, sob
E39 523i Touring
Sponsored Links

Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2006 at 17:45

Originally posted by rattusM3 rattusM3 wrote:

Managed to get some good video footage on the track especially following Steve who is now running a M3 CSL (lucky man), will sort this out eventually and try to post.

Good to see you and the gang again Kev, you were flying in your M3 - look forward to seeing the vid where you followed me around.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2006 at 19:51
rock star? Who was that then?
And another funny story to add. I was telling Norm about a video I found on trackvisions website showing a mad Porsche with 180mph on the dial in no time. It was him!! A 911 GT2 twin turbo with 812bhp

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2006 at 21:04

Is that Grant at the end of the table - how is your back?

Martin

Going out on the 21st - anyone else going?

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2006 at 21:51
Yes thats me Martin , the backs ok now
went out there to get my Alpha N mapped by Dr John .

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
1991 Daihatsu 2.8 TD Work Horse
Rust Never Sleeps . Tattooed Lady - Bearded Baby - there my family ..
rattusM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 09:12

Thanks for that Steve.
May need to wait for the vid as I need to find the best place to host it as my last attempt was a bit of a disaster, any ideas especiall if over 100MB?

We were all flying and improved tremendously.
Not much in it between Roy, Richard and myself.

Keith (the Rock Star) has improved which showed when I had a passenger lap with him, has become alot smoother with the lines.

Mark, well he will be one to watch out for next year, not many laps under his belt but that will change and we will have to put cement in his boot, always knew how to drive well in the first place with lots of practise in his E30 2.7 touring.

All in all excellent weekend, no incidents of note and even the rain did not stop the fun, just drove according to the conditions.

A number of REALITY CHECKS during the 3 days:
 - That poor M5 - crickey
 - The M3 that hit the  concrete  at Adenau,  that bloke has been  Ringing for a long time and was very experienced BIG WARNING TO US ALL!!!!!
 - The biker who came off on the very last BEND, possible fatality as they did not open the track again after that.

Still, lets not put a damper on things, it was still a great 3 days.

Oh Uwe, what was it like shaking hands with a Rock Star and not even knowing it. I wonder how long I can milk this one for Keith.

Small world regarding Norm and the crazy Porsche, Uwe, I knew he drove really fast Porsches but would love to see him do it.

Kevin

Edited by rattusM3
E28 Alpina B9
E30 M3 (New Engine (almost), Cams, Brakes, ECU, Suspension, Alpha-N - Thanks Stannard Motors)
E39 523i Touring
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 09:51
Kev,

after our very entertaining group lap (thanks Keith ) I had a few more on my own. For the final two I raised the tyre pressure slightly and that really made a huge difference. I recorded the last two laps and manged a laptime I don't even dare to post.
How does 1.2 to 1.4 g's round the bends on road tyres sound?
And my DIY big brake conversion didn't let me down for a second during the whole weekend.
rattusM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 10:05

Go on post your laptime.

We all knew you were going great guns and we were very impressed, especially Roy, knowing we were on stickys and you were on road tyres for those couple of laps we all had together.

This is a bit naughty I know but when I checked the vid timing from gantry to grantry, with Steve it was 8.49 min, and that was with some traffic.
On a couple of clear laps, it was a bit quicker!!! - Roy and Richard well I just wonder.

To be quite honest, it got to the point where I just stopped for the day, handed my remaining laps to someone else and just stopped.

I could not TRUST myself anymore, do not get me wrong, I had no dodgy moments BUT it just got to that point where things were going too well ... if you know what I mean.

Edited by rattusM3
E28 Alpina B9
E39 523i Touring
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 11:06
I know what you mean. After a few laps your brain adapts to the speed and you feel going "slower" as in the first two laps.
when we drove I didn't had a very good feedback from the tyres in the fast bits and had to lift of to save my underwear but as soon the pressure was raised I had suddenly some room left to the curbs coming out of the bends. Dan was with me in the car and felt the difference as well. Also there was NO traffic in front of us. Didn't had to lift off once. I checked the time of the run and the time is 527.68 sec = 8.47min
Quite a few bends with constantly over 1g and the high peak going round Exmühle (didn't braka at all before turn in) with 1.4 Dan couldn't stop grinning in the passenger seat.
I am very pleased how my car handles now. No understeer, no uncontrolable oversteer, brakes are fine.
Just a little bit more power and.......
Can't wait to get thoose stickies back on.
rattusM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 11:33

WOW - that's going some and on road tyres.

Good to see you only pushed when you knew the car felt right!!!

And you were thinking about scrapping it? Maybe it was the involuntary weight saving (rust) that gave you an edge as well

A little bit more power? That's why all those porsches keep going off.
What you need is a CSL like Steves' - awesome.

The stickies should do the job next year.

On similar subject, I went out and followed Kevin in his Cecotto and near the start of the circuit just before the long straight bit (yes, yes, yes will learn the bends eventually) a MR2 span out of control doing a couple of 360s in front of me and just behind Kevin?
He was fine and kept it on the track but must have shaken him a bit. It was still damp I think.
Anyway, Gill told me that Kevin later took him out as a passenger, not sure if he asked Kevin or if Kevin offered, but I thought it was good of Kevin to show him the lines etc - Kevin did just the same thing for me on my very first visit - top bloke.

E28 Alpina B9
E39 523i Touring
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 13:27
A few screen shots from my DL90 datalogger showing bits of my last lap.

Pic 1 is at the very end of Breidscheid just before you turn right going up the hill into Exmühle. Very entertaining bend and one of my favorite

Pic 2 at Kallenhard

I hope all this maks some sort of sense as I am new to this software and haven't had a lot of time to play with it. The trackmarkers are also set by hand. So have mercy with me
Rock Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 15:40
Awesome trip! Thanks to Stannard Motors for re-building the engine. Thanks to AHMotorsport (Hartney Wintney) for getting it to 235 bhp and spot on with the fueling, and thanks lads - it was a good crack on and off the track.

Edited by Rock Star
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 19:24
Kev

Great photos and if you have any video of me on track it would be great. The chap in the MR2 remembered me passing him at T13 and we sort of got chatting. After a few high(ish) speed laps in the M3 I think he will be out looking for one to replace his MR2. The same applies to one of the passengers in the E39 M5, he was still nervous after incident so I took it gently but he was still impressed with how the M3 handles and kept quizzing me about costs.

We are delighted with the engine and the airbox is so loud that Gill has taken to using ear plug even with her helmet on. Apparrently I need to as well to stop me shouting at everybody in the Grune Holle .

Apart from the unfortunate incidents, primarily bikes, it was a great weekend with great people and yet again the R888's have surprised me gripping very well in the wet conditions.

Uwe, we must find you a solid shell so you can get a cage installed...

Cheers
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2006 at 23:36

Hi Uwe

How did the brakes perform?

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 08:27
Originally posted by texas2201 texas2201 wrote:

Hi Uwe

How did the brakes perform?

Martin

Perfect!
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 12:36
Uwe,
Data logger + g`s =Anorak

Jon
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 12:58
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

Uwe,
Data logger + g`s =Anorak

Jon

so all F1 teams are Anoraks? at least I can prove what I claim....

Edited by UweM3
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 17:05
is your brake mod patent pending or can you tell us what you have done?
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 18:17
Originally posted by Dannyboy Dannyboy wrote:

is your brake mod patent pending or can you tell us what you have done?

Merc 500 Disks and E32 735 calipers.
I will make a write up if there is enough interest.
Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2006 at 20:24

Originally posted by rattusM3 rattusM3 wrote:

Anyway, Gill told me that Kevin later took him out as a passenger, not sure if he asked Kevin or if Kevin offered, but I thought it was good of Kevin to show him the lines etc - Kevin did just the same thing for me on my very first visit - top bloke.

Agreed - Kev did the same for me last year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic