Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNurburgring in Sept/Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 17:31

Hi Uwe

Meet Grant today and he said your disks looked awfully close to touching the suspension? or something

I would be interested in a write up and where you gto the disk centers machined?

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 17:52
Martin,

hearing comments like Grant's is one of the reason I do not encourage people to copy what I do. I do not want to explain why I have done this and that and do not want to be held responsible if things do not work out as expected. I can assure you that I am not suicidal
and take great care in what I am doing.
I will of course explain to anyone interested what parts and work is invloved, but everybody is using this setup AT THEIR OWN RISK!

The disk is indeed close to the tierod ball joint but I have already something in mind to protect the ball joint. But this is only because I have REMOVED the backing plates. If you leave the backing plates fitted, you need to bend them to clear the thicker disks and the ball joint will be as protected as before.

So for anybody who wants to know:

--You will need brake calipers from a E32 735/750
--the caliper bracket will need some minor milling
--the disks are Mercedes W124 E500 (early model, 300mmx28)
--disks need modification of the centre bore and the PCD.

Thats all.

can't advise on machine shop, I do most of the work myself.

left Merc 500 disk, right BMW M3 disk

Merc 500 disk (not machined yet)

drawing for Merc disk modification

elongating holes of Merc disk to suit PCD of 120

Red arrow shows the boss of the caliper bracket which needs to be milled flat

Bracket milled flat

another shot

the caliper bracket does NOT sit at the very centre of the disk. I didn't fancy to mill more off the bracket.
But as this is a sliding caliper it will make up for the difference which is less than 1mm.
The red arrow indicated the area where you have to make sure it doesn't hit the disk.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 21:33

Hi Uwe

Thanks for that - very useful having access to all that equipment for the mods. did not mean my comment from Grant to be a critiscm just an observation.

When you say you are elongating the holes - what do you mean - does  that mean the bolts could move about in a bigger hole? - you might have guessed I am not technically minded and if you had seen me changing my front brake pads at Silverstone you would have seen that this is indeed true

How did they perform compared to the standard?

Martin

E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 21:39
Martin,

just compare the first drawing with the second.
In first the holes are circular, in the second drawing they are slot holes.
I would say brakes are now adequate for the car. You want to brake, push the pedal. You want to brake more, push a little bit harder. Not like that "it doesn't matter how much harder i push nothing more happens" feeling from the stock brakes.
I can lock the wheels with ease at 80mph. Ask Kevin
And they didn't change at all, I did 4 lap runs with just the ticket machine as a break time inbetween.
No fade, just pure braking pleasure

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2006 at 18:54

Uwe

Thanks for that - when my current (relatively) new EBC disks need replacing I might go down this route - a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives......

cheers

Martin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic